Author Topic: 2019 YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE  (Read 14385 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
2019 YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
  The 2019 YSU football schedule is finalized.  12 games, and 7 at home.  Opener is August 24 vs Samford.  Then three lightweights: Howard, Duquesne, and Robert Morris.  Yes, I know we lost to Butler, but at worst YSU should be 3-1 heading into conference play.  No FBS game.

I think it is a joke playing three scrimmages and asking fans to pay regular ticket prices.   YSU refuses to schedule home and home a quality non-league game against other strong FCS opponents.  Same old, same old, and they ask why people don't go to the games.

YSU needs Mark Waid to jump start this program, and provide a spark.  If he is not the answer, then this program is in a lot of trouble.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Now is NOT The year to complain, we got Samford, which is a quality FCS OOC opponent, I’d say that’s at least some movement in the right direction.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Why do we have this same old discussion every year? Over the past 5 years or so, we have had the best schedules (by far) in our DI history. Hey how would all of you Tressel fans like to go back to Clarion, Lock Haven, or Slippery Rock. Heck California PA almost beat us twice and you want to complain about losing to Butler? If we added N. Dakota as a member of the Big Sky to our schedule, people would like it; we have them starting this year, but they are no longer a member of the Big Sky. We have and away game at Samford (with no guaranteed return), which most people are questioning if we could defeat them, when we should "stomp" on them. So you have 3 of the top-5 teams in the nation + 2 more than should be top-10, but will definitely be top-20. How many other programs have 5 top-20 teams on their schedule? None unless we happen slide in the top-20 or someone our schedule is playing an FBS top-20 team.

I am a fan. I want HOME games I do not care who they are against. I tailgate from the second the lots open until they tell me to leave. I think that I have missed 3 home games in the past 35-years ...one (years ago) for my grandson's birth day, one for his first-birthday the following year ...and one last year, when I had surgery. I actually did make it to the tailgate lots after my surgery, I just could not walk up to the game. For the 1st-birthday, I missed the game, but was able to tailgate in the morning.

I mean we just lost to Butler and we are talking about a tougher OOC opponent. Besides, the Ivy is a much stronger conference than the NEC or Pioneer. Give it a rest.  Tell you what, when we have our 3rd championship in 3-years, then I "may" wish to talk heavier schedule.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
  The scheduling is a joke!  You have three games that are a scrimmage, if you lose to any of them, or lose to a Butler then you deserve to be ridiculed.  Much like we were last year, when Sports Illustrated called the loss to Butler the greatest upset ever.

Howard lost to Kent by 31 last year!  All Samford does is replace the FBS game.  Look at UNI, North Dakota State, South Dakota State.  They all player tougher non league schedules. 

Next year Nd St plays Delaware, and North Dakota, UNI plays Idaho State and a very good program in Weber State, South Dakota plays Montana.

We won't play good FCS opponents home and home, why? You play three stiffs and win, so what?  We had two games last year with less than 1000 fans.  The Bo Pelini era, other than one season, has been a disaster.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:17:58 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
I agree with all the criticism about the schedule.  But once again the NCAA provides a reality check.  The selection committee consists of athletic directors from the conferences that receive automatic bids.  These characters hate the fact that the MVFC is so strong.  They were delighted that our teams chewed themselves up so badly this past fall.  Anything to restrict the number of teams from our league while advancing their own squads.  Six or seven MVFC teams would have stomped half of the 24 team field in this year's playoffs.  If you don't believe that statement, just look up some of the junk that the committee chose.

Here is the bottom line.  As long as the MVFC remains so formidable, it is suicide to play a strong ooc schedule.  Sometime reality just stinks.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
I agree with all the criticism about the schedule.  But once again the NCAA provides a reality check.  The selection committee consists of athletic directors from the conferences that receive automatic bids.  These characters hate the fact that the MVFC is so strong.  They were delighted that our teams chewed themselves up so badly this past fall.  Anything to restrict the number of teams from our league while advancing their own squads.  Six or seven MVFC teams would have stomped half of the 24 team field in this year's playoffs.  If you don't believe that statement, just look up some of the junk that the committee chose.

Here is the bottom line.  As long as the MVFC remains so formidable, it is suicide to play a strong ooc schedule.  Sometime reality just stinks.

Some good points.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:07:33 PM »
Why do we have this same old discussion every year? Over the past 5 years or so, we have had the best schedules (by far) in our DI history. Hey how would all of you Tressel fans like to go back to Clarion, Lock Haven, or Slippery Rock. Heck California PA almost beat us twice and you want to complain about losing to Butler? If we added N. Dakota as a member of the Big Sky to our schedule, people would like it; we have them starting this year, but they are no longer a member of the Big Sky. We have and away game at Samford (with no guaranteed return), which most people are questioning if we could defeat them, when we should "stomp" on them. So you have 3 of the top-5 teams in the nation + 2 more than should be top-10, but will definitely be top-20. How many other programs have 5 top-20 teams on their schedule? None unless we happen slide in the top-20 or someone our schedule is playing an FBS top-20 team.

I am a fan. I want HOME games I do not care who they are against. I tailgate from the second the lots open until they tell me to leave. I think that I have missed 3 home games in the past 35-years ...one (years ago) for my grandson's birth day, one for his first-birthday the following year ...and one last year, when I had surgery. I actually did make it to the tailgate lots after my surgery, I just could not walk up to the game. For the 1st-birthday, I missed the game, but was able to tailgate in the morning.

I mean we just lost to Butler and we are talking about a tougher OOC opponent. Besides, the Ivy is a much stronger conference than the NEC or Pioneer. Give it a rest.  Tell you what, when we have our 3rd championship in 3-years, then I "may" wish to talk heavier schedule.

Yes these same old yearly discussions are really getting old. You have explained it many times, not sure if people do not get it or just like complaining.

I also am excited about 7 home games. I go to the games to see YSU play no matter who the opponent is.

Yea we lost to Butler and they deserved to win, but it is over and it does no good to keep harping on it. Sorry we do not have a money game this year as the money is needed. Good point that as hard as our league is, why make the OOC harder then it needs to be.

Did not see that ND is joining, if so how long until we get the OVC treatment.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
It's a joke and always will be. 3 weenies.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
better hope we barbecue those weenies or it will be another long year with few people in the stands.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
I'd love to see a William & Mary or a Lehigh on the schedule, or even an Ivy with a 2 year home/away contract.

I am so tired of the OOC garbage schedule Strollo forces us to watch year after year after year after year.....

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
I'd love to see a William & Mary or a Lehigh on the schedule, or even an Ivy with a 2 year home/away contract.

I am so tired of the OOC garbage schedule Strollo forces us to watch year after year after year after year.....

Howard’s not the worst though, at least they are full scholarship unlike RMU

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
better hope we barbecue those weenies or it will be another long year with few people in the stands.

W&M defeats JMU more often than not. So do you see last year's squad even competing with the Tribe? I would say the Ivy League is traditionally deeper than the Patriot. The MEAC is much deeper. The Patriot league and the Ivy are basically the same in terms of FB. 1 or two teams at the top & nobody else. Just like every conference in the country ...except ours. So again, why schedule strength? When the NCAA assigns a number to a schedule, or teams (ranks them ALL each week) then schedule strength means something. Until then it is a joke. OOC schedule strength is NOT a factor, so give me home games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:45:19 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline 2000YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
Full 2019 Schedule Except For the Game Times
*August 31 and September 21 Are Bye Weeks*

August 24 (ESPN FCS Kickoff) vs Samford in Montgomery, Alabama
September 7 vs Howard
September 14 vs Duquesne
September 28 vs Robert Morris
October 5 at Northern Iowa
October 12 vs South Dakota State
October 19 at Southern Illinois
October 26 vs Western Illinois
November 2 vs North Dakota State
November 9 at South Dakota
November 16 at Indiana State
November 23 vs Illinois State
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:00:05 PM by 2000YSU »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
Full 2019 Schedule Except For the Game Times
*August 31 and September 21 Are Bye Weeks*

August 24 (ESPN Kickoff) vs Samford in Montgomery, Alabama
September 7 vs Howard
September 14 vs Duquesne
September 28 vs Robert Morris
October 5 vs Northern Iowa
October 12 vs South Dakota State
October 19 at Southern Illinois
October 26 vs Western Illinois
November 2 vs North Dakota State
November 9 at South Dakota
November 16 at Indiana State
November 23 vs Illinois State

UNI, SDSU, NDSU and IlSt all at home? Wow

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
We should not overlook Howard. They suffered some injuries, but still played well against Ohio (OT loss), beat Bethune-Cookman and FLAMU. All three are good programs.