Author Topic: Bison's are champs  (Read 5719 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Bison's are champs
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
Our conference keeps winning the FCS championship.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bison's are champs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
Correction.  The Bison keep winning it. I was at Chueys restaurant in Ft Worth less than 50 minutes from Frisco and they were playing basketball games on TV.  So kudos to the Bison.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
FCS football generates the most interest in its division the first week of the season when it plays FBS teams.A win or a competitive game by a FCS team against an FBS team is usually the apex of interest in our division. When CBS used to carry the FCS national championship game, it created interest among a wider audience. Whether appearing in in a lower-tier bowl at the FBS level is better than competing for a national championship at the FCS level is the question which elite FCS schools must wrestle with. But when I look at the teams that have left the FCS division the last 20 years, it appears that a lower-tier bowl appearance appeals more to most elite-FCS schools.   

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
FCS football generates the most interest in its division the first week of the season when it plays FBS teams.A win or a competitive game by a FCS team against an FBS team is usually the apex of interest in our division. When CBS used to carry the FCS national championship game, it created interest among a wider audience. Whether appearing in in a lower-tier bowl at the FBS level is better than competing for a national championship at the FCS level is the question which elite FCS schools must wrestle with. But when I look at the teams that have left the FCS division the last 20 years, it appears that a lower-tier bowl appearance appeals more to most elite-FCS schools.

From a marketing / exposure perspective probably, but I suspect Bison fans would rather be in the title game than the garbage bowl.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
No doubt their fans are loving it but I think that NDSU's dominance is bad for 1AA. Boring for everyone else when the same team wins so much. No Clemson out there to make it interesting.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
No doubt their fans are loving it but I think that NDSU's dominance is bad for 1AA. Boring for everyone else when the same team wins so much. No Clemson out there to make it interesting.

JMU was a Clemson figure for a couple years though I’d say.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »

Could not agree more. People were sick of YSU and Marshall back in the early 90's as well. (Marshall played so much better than we did in the regular season though).  I just root for anyone that is playing NDSU, to heck with the conference. If NDSU loses 3 conference games they are still in, if we lose 3 conference games, we are not even a post-season thought.

BTW: Would not surprise me if Alabama threw the game. I am just as sick of Clemson coming out of that 1-team conference. Then we have Notre Dame that gets in despite having no conference affiliation! Explain that? They get their "trophy" from NBC every year ... it comes in the form of an enormous residual check. Now, in addition to the NBC funds,  they take 1/4 of the play-off monies and do not have to share it. The money that ND made this year is going make that team into another Alabama.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Could not agree more. People were sick of YSU and Marshall back in the early 90's as well. (Marshall played so much better than we did in the regular season though).  I just root for anyone that is playing NDSU, to heck with the conference. If NDSU loses 3 conference games they are still in, if we lose 3 conference games, we are not even a post-season thought.

BTW: Would not surprise me if Alabama threw the game. I am just as sick of Clemson coming out of that 1-team conference. Then we have Notre Dame that gets in despite having no conference affiliation! Explain that? They get their "trophy" from NBC every year ... it comes in the form of an enormous residual check. Now, in addition to the NBC funds,  they take 1/4 of the play-off monies and do not have to share it. The money that ND made this year is going make that team into another Alabama.

What? If we’re a 3 loss conference team we’re most certainly in the playoff discussion. In 2016 we had 2 conference losses and got home field advantage for the first playoff game. This year UNI lost 3 conference games last and made the playoffs. In the MVFC, 2 conference losses and you’re a lock, 3 and you’re a bubble team.

Plus, any NDSU has absolutely earned any benefit of the doubt they get.