Author Topic: MBB vs NKU  (Read 6826 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB vs NKU
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
Down 4 at half.   No one ever posted on the Wright state game .  I think if anyone is paying attention you could see the potential of this young team.  Might be tired of hearing they're young but Quizz and Simmons are potential all league the next 3 years.   Olamide might be the best shot blocker in the Horizon and he's plays few minutes because of fouls.

Saw coach's post game and you can see he's frustrated because he knows it's just maturity with only one senior.    As bad as I want them to win now,I'll still enjoy what they are and I'm pumped for the next few years to come with the talent Calhoun is bringing in.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs NKU
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
We lack an inside guy who can defend and score.  We lost today due to McDonald getting easy baskets that we did not.  Also we could not defend him.  Get us a big that is good and we will win.  Same with the Wright State game.  We do make some bad plays, but that will come down.  We are playing much better than in the beginning of the season.  We try to drive to the basket for the most part, but can't effectively pass into the post.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »
We lack an inside guy who can defend and score.  We lost today due to McDonald getting easy baskets that we did not.  Also we could not defend him.  Get us a big that is good and we will win.  Same with the Wright State game.  We do make some bad plays, but that will come down.  We are playing much better than in the beginning of the season.  We try to drive to the basket for the most part, but can't effectively pass into the post.
This is similar to the OSU game when they put the big guy in the low post and back his way in doing a hook or lay in.
Our guy was too skinny to put a body on him to push him out without committing the foul. Coach might have put in scheme to either double him or deny him the ball so close to the basket. I think it was North Carolina (?) did to 7'4" Ralpth Simpson in the NCAA tournament so he could get close to the basket. Today, once McDonald got the ball inside the paint, it was over.
We are just too young to know how to finish game. If we make it the the Horizon league tournament (bottom 2 teams do not get in), we might be able to win couple of games (especially if we could hit the 3's)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
I was thinking the same thing how it must be a luxury to have a big strong post who you can lob the ball to and muscles his way to the hoop.   Bobby Hain was some what like that.   Both NKU and Wright State have that type.

Next year we'll have juco Jamir Thomas who's a wide body and hopefully can provide that for us.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:57:40 PM »
Coach learning building a program is a little tougher than D2.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:06 AM »
0 points from our 3 bigs...almost impossible to win a game against a good team unless you shoot lights out. 

It was encouraging to see us driving to the basket and getting to the line and making foul shots.  We really struggled rebounding the ball as well.  Seemed like it had to be one of our worst nights from that aspect. 

Other than McDonald's inside presence, they made 3 huge 3's late to break away including 2 to beat the shot clock.  Those were killers & we never recovered.

Anyone know why Hampton hasn't dressed the last 2 games? 

Cleveland St. is going to be a must win then we're going to have to win at least 4 games in the 2nd half of conference play to have a shot at the tournament.  We're already a game and half back of UIC & IUPUI, which are 2 teams I thought would be better. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
This team has the most talent we have seen in a long time.   Now for us to take the next step as a program we need to stay together.  Each year we lose multiple players transferring out.  If no one of importance leaves we should be much better next year.   One thing though we definitely need a big guy.  If you haven't noticed each team in the Horizon has had a big guy that dominates us. This happens every game.  YSU will never be as good as we can without some sort of inside presence.   Hopefully Jamir Thomas helps out but we need one more big.   We need to learn how to win now and not use youth as an excuse.   Most freshman are not freshman 20 games into the season. Lets win now. What puzzles me is how we struggle at home.  We have no home court advantage at all.  Home Record of 2-6 with only wins at home against non-d1 teams is pathetic.   Thoughts?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
Pride, the failures at home are a classic example of a vicious circle:

perpetual losing = few fans = bad atmosphere = no intimidation of opponent = perpetual losing

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
I do agree Wick.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Pride, the failures at home are a classic example of a vicious circle:

perpetual losing = few fans = bad atmosphere = no intimidation of opponent = perpetual losing

Sad but true, this team is not a D1 team!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
Cleveland State has the beautiful Wolstein Center that seats 13,610.  Yesterday they were on TV in the Cleveland area.  Attendance in the box score was 942 but seeing the people in the stands was only a couple hundred. Course they are not very good.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:01:51 PM by YSU1 »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »
It's really hard to watch at times.  Not because we get blown out, but because the talent is there, the competitiveness is there, but it's like you know how it's going to play out late in the game.  There were several games we gave away early in the year and I really thought once we got to league play we'd be able to win more games.  We're just about halfway through league play and time is running out to win games.     

If everyone comes back next year then maybe things will pay off, but we shall see as every year can be different.  I know guys like Hartfield, Haygood, Robinson, and Ferguson last year weren't Calhoun's guys, but you wonder how good maybe we could have been with them.  I miss Hartfield's scoring and the intensity and inside presence Haygood & Robinson brought.  Those are things we seem to be missing at times this year.