Author Topic: Men's BKB vs GB  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's BKB vs GB
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
I see we are a 12.5 point underdog.  Not very promising! Haven't see anything about Naz so I guess he is out.  Too bad, he was a nice young player.  In the game against Oakland a standard finish occurred.  We are ahead, have a few bad possessions with no scoring, and for sure leave a player wide open for a game loosing shot.  We have no go to player who in the clutch can take over and score. The Delaware transfer is close to that, but none of the others have the ability to make a shot when needed at the end of a game to close it out.  Hopefully one of the new guys can develop into that.  And Penderson on the inside should be much more of a force than he is.  Watching the girls play they have inside players that can score and no mater what, they get the ball inside to get open outside shots.  The men's team just doesn't do that at all successfully.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's BKB vs GB
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
I see we are a 12.5 point underdog.  Not very promising! Haven't see anything about Naz so I guess he is out.  Too bad, he was a nice young player.  In the game against Oakland a standard finish occurred.  We are ahead, have a few bad possessions with no scoring, and for sure leave a player wide open for a game loosing shot.  We have no go to player who in the clutch can take over and score. The Delaware transfer is close to that, but none of the others have the ability to make a shot when needed at the end of a game to close it out.  Hopefully one of the new guys can develop into that.  And Penderson on the inside should be much more of a force than he is.  Watching the girls play they have inside players that can score and no mater what, they get the ball inside to get open outside shots.  The men's team just doesn't do that at all successfully.

I don't think we have a go to guy in this squad yet. In the past, we had Perry and then Morse. Both could drive to the basket or pull up for the J.
Q probably could be our next guy when he gets more experience.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »
Too bad, we let this one slip away

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »
Another choke job. Quiz fouling out was tough. This team is talented but so young and inexperienced. Next year is the year.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
Interesting comments from the GB commentator(ex player ) how he complimented some of the young talent on the YSU roster .  He's seeing a lot of things that have been mentioned on this forum .

Very young and need to stay together.  It's about wins and losses and we need some wins but these guys are a few plays away from putting it together.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »
Another tough one.  This team needs rewarded with a victory.  As I've said before, this team just doesn't know how to close out and win a game.  That has to be about the 5th game they've let slip away, but how Quisenberry fouled out was the turning point.  You just have to wonder too where they'd be with Naz right now.  Have to believe we'd have pulled out at least two of them.  The Detroit game was without him & Morgan.  If you really look at it, other than the 2nd half of the Akron & WVU games, this team has been in every game.  Tough stretch right now...I just hope they can stay focused & the morale doesn't drop with the losses mounting.   

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »
Another loss with the same basic mo.  Ahead significantly, but can't hold the lead. Good signs are Quisenberry and some of the other new players.  He definitely needs to play over Morgan who takes too many bad shots and is turnover prone driving into double teams, poor passing, and to the basket with much taller players guarding him. Also our bigs are not as effective as needed, especially Pendersen. The foul shooting numbers are something also with GB going to the line more than twice as often as us. Some of it is they attack the basket, but some is a lack of respect for us in the league I think. That was mentioned post game by Calhoun.  I like that he is willing to go on the post game show after losses, not the way it was with the previous coach.

Hopefully we can get a win at Milwaukee tomorrow.  It is needed for the team to grow.