Author Topic: Other Scores of Interest  (Read 20422 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Other Scores of Interest
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
I see that Northern Iowa won 16-13.  Watched some of the game on line and the Lamar field goal kicker missed 2 makeable field goals and an extra point.  Northern Iowa could have easily lost.

Other teams in the playoffs do not look like they could be better than us. We need to just get in.

I watched some of the UNI game and I agree. We probably have top 10, maybe top 15 talent at worst. But you cant implode 3-4 Saturdays a year and expect to get in. we've seen how that works out for the past decade.

Anyway, we were better than both of those teams IMO.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
We don’t have top 10 let alone top 15 talent. Our best player on offense by far was McCaster.  He might be a first team all conference.  That’s it on offense.  Defense was horrible none of those guys are first teamers maybe The senior LB and Savin Smith might get on the all conference.  We lack Div 1 depth. Whenever the Bison or South Dakota have an injury the next guy up is almost as good. Between Coaching and takent we are what our record is a bottom tier team in the conference.  Don’t forget how many games our kicker hurt us and we never recruited to replace him.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
We don’t have top 10 let alone top 15 talent. Our best player on offense by far was McCaster.  He might be a first team all conference.  That’s it on offense.  Defense was horrible none of those guys are first teamers maybe The senior LB and Savin Smith might get on the all conference.  We lack Div 1 depth. Whenever the Bison or South Dakota have an injury the next guy up is almost as good. Between Coaching and takent we are what our record is a bottom tier team in the conference.  Don’t forget how many games our kicker hurt us and we never recruited to replace him.

I disagree on the talent eval. I blame our game planning, preparation and in game adjustments for our failure this year as much as the talent. Our coordinators were in over their heads. They need to get much better, fast.

I cannot argue the shortcomings of our kicking game.

Most teams on our level lack D1 depth. Thats what you get with 63 scholarships.

Our roster is good enough to make the playoffs. Its not good enough to win the league. Our failure to develop a QB is particularly terrifying.

You think Lamar has more talent?  If you have EPSN+ I would invite you to watch some of these teams that made the playoffs. Full scholarship teams only, we know there are a lot of pretenders out there.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 03:31:25 PM »
  YSU lost to Butler!   Top 10, are you delusional?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
Pelini promised that the depth would get addressed after Wolford. I have attended and watched and traveled to many games since 1990.  We finished what third from the bottom in our conference.  That isn’t just coaching.  We had to bring a transfer QB in to start and none of the recruited guys even got any snaps  I just dont see it. Sorry.  This team was one of the weakest teams I witnessed in 28 years.  The Butler game was our wake up call.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
Final four for FCS championship..Maine, Eastern Washington, ND State, SD State. The Bison and Jackrabbits will face off in the semifinals

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »
You know it’s going to happen there. South Dakota state does not match up well with North Dakota State. Bison always blow them out

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
You know it’s going to happen there. South Dakota state does not match up well with North Dakota State. Bison always blow them out

I watched some of NDSU's game. They put a graphic up that showed their playoff record against the rest of FCS since they started their run of titles. I believe they are 3-0 against SDSU, and no reason to believe that will change.

I also saw the EWU game, and they won't beat the Bison either. Won't be close.

I've not seen Maine but I don't think Im going out on a limb to say they would also be heavy underdogs.