Author Topic: Per Mark Porter: YSU officially offers Girard QB Mark Waid  (Read 10678 times)

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Per Mark Porter: YSU officially offers Girard QB Mark Waid
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
He's already committed to Fordham, does YSU have what it takes to make Mark Waid of Girard flip?  I've been hearing rumblings of mutual interest for a few months now but you never know what to believe. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Per Mark Porter: YSU officially offers Girard QB Mark Waid
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
Heard a couple of those recruiting guys on the radio (maybe Ron Potesta's show) a few weeks ago, and they thought Waid was further along in his development than Jayden Cunningham was at the end of his senior year.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
I'd take him in a second. From what I hear the coaches from YSU are really after him.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
Not needed. Fordham? You people drive me crazy. If anyone would even mention Fordham football around here it would be in jest ...as a non/partial scholarship club. If he committed to Fordham, then he is either deeply religious, smart or special needs. It is a nationally top-50 ranked school with a strong Jesuit affiliation and history. Heck they even banned a Greek system. Some kids realize they are not going to the NFL and utilize sports to truly get more out of life ...good for him to show how smart he really is. This year a QB is not one of YSU's needs. Let's look at some Juniors.

Let me see the list of linemen and TB's we are going after.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:14:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
We are talking recruiting of a specific player here. and how the coaches would like to have him. At this point, we don't even know who will be the HC and his staff for next year. If the current staff leaves, some (if not most) of the verbal recruits could de-commit any way.
So, first thing first, what is the latest news on HC for next year? It is hard to believe that we are going out to do effectively recruiting without being able to tell the prospective recruits if the HC/staff will even be back next year.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »
Not needed. Fordham? You people drive me crazy. If anyone would even mention Fordham football around here it would be in jest ...as a non/partial scholarship club. If he committed to Fordham, then he is either deeply religious, smart or special needs. It is a nationally top-50 ranked school with a strong Jesuit affiliation and history. Heck they even banned a Greek system. Some kids realize they are not going to the NFL and utilize sports to truly get more out of life ...good for him to show how smart he really is. This year a QB is not one of YSU's needs. Let's look at some Juniors.

Let me see the list of linemen and TB's we are going after.

He's a smart kid. Going to business school there from what I hear. Bo and staff really want him. He's already a better thrower of the football than Mays lol.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »
We are way late to the game on this kid.  We should have been after him last year but Bo does not like to recruit...If Cunningham or Caycraft are not the answer then Bo needs to make the visit now and close the deal. 

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
I am not willing to sacrifice another year because we foolishly went after a 5th-year guy. This is no disrespect to VG, as I really like the guy and I hope we get him for a year or 2 as a grad assistant.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
We are talking recruiting of a specific player here. and how the coaches would like to have him. At this point, we don't even know who will be the HC and his staff for next year. If the current staff leaves, some (if not most) of the verbal recruits could de-commit any way.
So, first thing first, what is the latest news on HC for next year? It is hard to believe that we are going out to do effectively recruiting without being able to tell the prospective recruits if the HC/staff will even be back next year.
This is a very valid point!! I think Bo or the university needs to come forth and make some kind of statement concerning the direction of HC and staff. Something to keep a eye on JMU head coach could be taking over at Charlotte the same place were Shane Montgomery is. We have been targeting some of JMU recruits will they flip if Houston leaves? We did offer several players from the Maryland area and I believe one has committed to YSU. We continue to extend offers to 2 star athletes that have committed to other programs in hope that they will flip, but it's a hard sell in my opinion. We are also offering lots of Juco players, but know QBs as far as I can tell
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:20:22 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline 2000YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
From Dana Balash on Twitter
(@DanaBalash21)

“For those scrutinizing YSU for offering Mark Waid late, I’m told by sources they’ve been talking to him since the end of the 2017 high school season, which was his junior season. Perhaps some unfair criticism!!”

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
Maybe if this staff could actually recruit...

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:20:59 PM »
Offering a player that late is insulting especially if the recruiting process was started a year ago. It's like saying we could be screwed at the quarterback position and you are the last resort. I'm sure Mark is a fine player did he have any other offers beside Fordham, Cornell, Dartmouth or Robert Morris?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:30 PM »
You're always cautious because of the competition Girard played. Wasn't at the highest level, but this year when he was just dominating whoever was out there, everyone sort of took notice big time. I'm sure more offers will be coming very soon

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
There is no reason to make a coaching statement. Bo is here and never gave any indications otherwise. that being said, his normal contract term is expiring. Again we do not need a QB and better not be bringing in anyone else. I am mad enough having to possibly start a red-shirt, but at least they have some experience with the system. Very true on the coach at Charlotte being on the hot seat, but that is a bit more to chew than the coach from JMU deserves. However, it is a hard-sell

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
  YSU's greatest need is QB.  In most of our games this year, the opponent clearly had a better QB, that is not debatable.   As for Mark Waid, he will likely end up at YSU.  However,  I do know that they did not begin recruiting him until the middle of this season.   Had they been on him early, he would have never committed to Fordham.

Waid's commitment to a 2-10 Fordham program was much more than just football.  One of the best school's in the country, in NYC was appealing to him.  Especially with potential aspirations to work in NYC one day.

Had YSU aggressively recruited him, this would be a done deal by now.  I have been told my someone who would know that Pelini has yet to see Waid play in person.  QB coach Joe Ganz has seen him play several times. 

Waid is the real deal, and I would expect at some point next season he will be the starter.   Wherever he goes, Waid will enroll in January.  he graduates in December.