Author Topic: The Football program is broke and time to overhaul the Athletic Department!  (Read 13227 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Football program is broke and time to overhaul the Athletic Department!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
We'll be back next year too! 
Lots of things went wrong this season and maybe some will be fixed and maybe some don't happen again. (I'm thinking mostly injuries here)  There was something wrong with this team, just as there is something wrong with the buckeyes this year.  The coaches are the same, the players as talented, but something just "off."   I don't know if bringing in an outside guy as a "one and done" senior QB split the team or whatever, but something was off.  We should have beat Butler with our eyes closed, but sometimes things just go wrong.  I enjoy college sports and frankly the Penquins are the best sports value around, (along with the Scrappers for baseball) 
Sports is a "sum zero" game.  (total wins = total loses)  If you fired everybody that didn't win every year, you'd have quite a mess!  Bo's record for his career says he will get to 9-3 soon enough.  He can be a real jerk sometimes, but so can Trump, and he is Making America Great Again!  So I guess we will see if Bo can Make Penguins Great Again!    Next season, if you see a red hat with MPGA across the front, please say hello!   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
If I was still in Ohio, I would still show up.  But now that I am in Texas I see things a little different.  We had were the toast of 1AA football in the 90’s.  We didn’t take advantage of that success.  But we keep using that as a measuring stick. That formula isnt working as attendance, fan interest across all the athletic programs is nominal. We don’t have the money to compete in the leagues we are in.  So what would you expect.  We need to be in a league  where we we can compete dollar wise or we can be the big fish like the Bison is.  We gotta quit thinking that the 90’s are going to happen again.  It’s just like the valley waiting for the steel mills to come back and they keep electing the same bozo’s that promote it.  We need to give the athletes that we can recruit a chance to win and compete for championships. College sports programs need money to be successful and plenty of it. We are in the lower tier of the money part and guess what our men’s sports other than track are consistently have losing records.  We need to change it not hope we get another Tressel.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
Well Guinpen, same here.  I have mentioned this before ...my father purchased seats back in 1983, when faculty & staff were offered them for life, of course you still have to pay each year, but they are great seats. I will still be there, just as all fans should. If you are able and do not attend, I feel that you do not have a right to comment. Taking away resources (by not buying tickets, tailgate seats, souvenirs, food, etc.) does not help.

[boring story with a point] My mother is a typical old-school "Youngstowner" ... member of an old Irish family that argues over everything, on every Holiday. This year she is not attending Thanksgiving, as she is upset with my Aunt. Yet, she is criticizing the fact that we are having the dinner catered from Kroger, instead of making it ourselves ... LOL. She even complained because I ordered a tofu turkey for my son-in-law, this is on top of regular turkey, ham & roast beef. I said mom, why do you care if you are not going? If you have the same type of family ... you know she is not going to change even if she does not eat with the family. Yet if she was sitting down to eat with us and talking about the dinner as part of the dinner conversation, everyone would listen to her, whether they wanted to or not ;)

Same thing applies here. when you sit down with Ron Strollo at a Penguin Club function, you get a lot more addressed than just complaining. Renew your season tickets, join the Penguin club and express your ideas. Strollo is not going to post on this board, but he is going to shake your hand and talk with you at events. I was sitting at a basketball game and he just game down and sat beside me. He surely does not even remember my name, but he knows my face because I participate. Boycotting is not going to change anything ...participate and you become the decision-maker. Participation is not showing your approval of the team's performance.

Nice post with some great points.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »
As long as Bo is coach and Strollo in charge. Nothing is getting better.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 03:07:19 AM »
We had a locker room problem this year, broke in a new coaching staff, lost a defensive coach for several weeks, and had some key injuries in fall camp that took away the ability for them to compete with the elite teams. The team did not reach its potential for those reasons.

Pelini may be a pain in the a$$, but he's also not stupid. I heard he has been recruiting hard. He knows he was a few players away from fielding a contender and he didn't have the depth to get it there. He is also an excellent defensive coach and I felt like they did improve on defense but far from being elite at the FCS level.  The loss of Carl and addition of D'Alesio was dramatic.  We have some nice DT's and missing an elite DE.  we also had smart but undersized LB's.  The back end was a mess due to inexperienced players that were in there because the starters had season ending injuries and it hurt us.   The OL was a weak point.  The offense lacked a noticable scheme and QB play was inconsistent.  As bad as that sounds we still had playoff potential. The only 2 teams that handled the OL have a bye week in the playoffs. 

The thing is that in today's recruiting world you need facilities and we have the indoor facility, lockerroom, and gym etc.  The stadium is going to need an overhaul soon, but otherwise the campus has top notch first class D1 facilities and in my book you need that to assist in recruiting.  But at the end of the day the performance comes down to people and we lacked the experience,  and a few talented players that would have given more consistency and a higher level of play. 

USF Bulls started a program out of a trailer and became instantly competitive a few years back. 

UCF Knights went from worst to a top ten team in 2 years. 

Putting it together and getting it to work together is like playing Jenga.  There is a fragility to the whole thing and the pieces need to be put together in a certain way to maximize potential.
How those pieces fit matter and it is different from year to year but always fragile if you want to reach the highest level of play.

We weren't too far off.  Just my $.02. 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:17:07 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
PenguinPower i don’t think the program is as close to being contender at all.  Football has become offensive and we don’t have the horses to do that.  We wasted a year developing a QB. We have Mays but what do we have behind him.  We don’t know.  The one year rental QB was plain stupid and pure desperation.  Bo started playing some kids on D but we still got torched that last game. Our special teams are a disaster.  Where was the so called depth that Bo promised us. We have very little speed on both sides of the ball.  You cant fix that with one year of recruiting. We could be embarrassed when we play on ESPN that first game next year.  Name one leader on this team. We need to quit fooling ourselves on this board.  The Butler game was Pearl Harbor wake up call. If we don’t wake up there will be another Pearl Harbor moment.  That came exposed everything that was wrong with the team, the program, the culture, and the players admitted to that, from missed practices etc.  I love YSU but If a duck looks like a duck it is a duck.  We stink.  It needs overhauled.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »
We had a locker room problem this year, broke in a new coaching staff, lost a defensive coach for several weeks, and had some key injuries in fall camp that took away the ability for them to compete with the elite teams. The team did not reach its potential for those reasons.

Pelini may be a pain in the a$$, but he's also not stupid. I heard he has been recruiting hard. He knows he was a few players away from fielding a contender and he didn't have the depth to get it there. He is also an excellent defensive coach and I felt like they did improve on defense but far from being elite at the FCS level.  The loss of Carl and addition of D'Alesio was dramatic.  We have some nice DT's and missing an elite DE.  we also had smart but undersized LB's.  The back end was a mess due to inexperienced players that were in there because the starters had season ending injuries and it hurt us.   The OL was a weak point.  The offense lacked a noticable scheme and QB play was inconsistent.  As bad as that sounds we still had playoff potential. The only 2 teams that handled the OL have a bye week in the playoffs. 

The thing is that in today's recruiting world you need facilities and we have the indoor facility, lockerroom, and gym etc.  The stadium is going to need an overhaul soon, but otherwise the campus has top notch first class D1 facilities and in my book you need that to assist in recruiting.  But at the end of the day the performance comes down to people and we lacked the experience,  and a few talented players that would have given more consistency and a higher level of play. 

USF Bulls started a program out of a trailer and became instantly competitive a few years back. 

UCF Knights went from worst to a top ten team in 2 years. 

Putting it together and getting it to work together is like playing Jenga.  There is a fragility to the whole thing and the pieces need to be put together in a certain way to maximize potential.
How those pieces fit matter and it is different from year to year but always fragile if you want to reach the highest level of play.

We weren't too far off.  Just my $.02.

UCF hired a young, snappy offensive minded coach who is a great recruiter. Big difference here.

Bo has been hot on the trail, I've heard the same thing. Lots of offers going out. Especially in the secondary.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 10:56:14 AM »
Bo is going to grab a couple IA guys and then get a crop of local fluff and everyone thinks he recruited. He has done this two years in a row now ...which is obviously why we have no depth. No talent = No depth. Better be some offers for some fat men (7 on O and 5 on D); we need to be 2-deep and cross-trained. Enough of this crap. Shut down the run game and let the secondary do their jobs. Replace the two lost TB's ...one with thunder ...one with lightning. Then spend the summer working on their hands, as if Mays become the anointed, then we will need those two able to catch on the fly.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:04:18 AM by IAA Fan »