Author Topic: Doug Kuberski Selected to Lead Youngstown State Bowling Program  (Read 2180 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Doug Kuberski Selected to Lead Youngstown State Bowling Program
« on: November 09, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »
Pittsburgh area native Doug Kuberski has been named the head coach of the Youngstown State Women's Bowling program, the university announced on Thursday.

Kuberski is the current head coach at Iowa Western Community College, and he was previously the interim head coach at annual Division I power Arkansas State. He will begin at Youngstown State in December.

"We couldn't be more excited that Coach Kuberski has decided to join our Penguin family," said YSU Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo. "His background as a former Division I athlete and an interim Head Coach at a top-five nationally ranked program, as well as his most recent experience in starting up both a collegiate men's and women's bowling program in just seven short months at Iowa Western, demonstrated to us he knows the game and knows how to successfully lead a Division I program. Our student-athletes are ecstatic about his selection and look forward to his arrival in December."

Kuberski will take over as the second full-time head coach in program history. He follows Chelsea Gilliam, who led the program from its infancy and through the first two years of competition before taking another head coaching position. Clint Daley has served as the interim head coach since the beginning of October.

"From the moment I stepped on campus, I sensed a special culture flowing through YSU," Kuberski said. "It was positive, passionate and inspiring. There is a commitment to win and to win the right way. I appreciate YSU's vision for growth and believe it aligns perfectly with my own."

"This is a talented group of young ladies and I consider myself very fortunate to be able to work with such a strong team. They've built upon their top-25 ranking in just their third year and are off to a great start with a 13-9 record and wins against some of the nation's best teams. Coach Daley and the team have done a fantastic job. With a program filled with shotmakers who shoot spares as well as they do and who communicate as well as they do, it's no surprise that they are consistently in contention.

Penguin Bowling has a very solid foundation in place. I'm excited to get to work and build upon that foundation."

Kuberski comes to YSU having served as the first men's and women's bowling head coach at Iowa Western Community College. He recruited the inaugural class of 20 bowlers as well as laid the administrative groundwork for the program. In addition to his instruction, he organized travel, managed the budget, ordered equipment, ran the team's website and social media, fundraised and engaged with the community.

Prior to his time at Iowa Western, he served as the interim head coach and an assistant coach at Arkansas State during the 2017-18 season. The Red Wolves went 27-12 in head-to-head matches under his watch and won the 2017 Warhawk Classic. While Kuberski was an assistant at Arkansas State alongside three-time NTCA Coach of the Year Justin Kostick, the team won the 2018 Southland Bowling League championship and went on to finish fifth at the NCAA National Championship tournament.

Kuberski's first collegiate coaching experience came in 2008 when he served as the bowling coach of the Texas A&M men's team, and he led the Aggies to a win at the Big XII Championship Tournament. He has served as a personal coach for 15 years.

Originally from Monroeville, Pa., he was an Academic All-American at Nebraska and helped the Huskers finish third at the 2003 Intercollegiate Bowling Championships. He has been coached by current Nebraska head coach Bill Straub as well as former Team USA head coach Jeri Edwards.

Before his time at Arkansas State, Kuberski spent six years at a political science professor at Florida State College at Jacksonville. He has a doctorate degree in political science from Texas A&M, a master's in political science from Akron and a bachelor's in history, political science and philosophy from Nebraska.