Author Topic: PITT BB GAME THREAD  (Read 9742 times)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
PITT BB GAME THREAD
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
Looks like the same team as last year.

Steals everywhere
Many fouls
Poor shooting
no defense: Pitt just drives to the hoop
no coherence

I watched 1Q: I snickered,, I laughed.

There is no hope, very sloppy and undisciplined 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PITT BB GAME THREAD
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:07:37 PM »
Poor shooting yes, but I'll take holding Pitt to 27 at the half, down 3 & having the steals, blocks & rebound advantage. Honestly played good enough to be leading. See what the 2nd half brings
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:11:56 PM by mudclods »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »
No offense.   Shooting Sucks AGAIN

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »
No offense.   Shooting Sucks AGAIN

Wow holding Pitt to 27 at half was nice, but why is our shooting so bad?

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:01:26 PM »
FT shooting at 64%, better than Pitt at least, that’s an improvement

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
Let's not read too much in one game.  A lot of guys playing their 1st D1 game that's on the road against an ACC foe.  Shooting will get better.  a few guys were pressing. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
It's early. Lots of new guys to work in. Shooting will improve.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
I think the coach wanted to find out more about his young players using this high level of competition. He was searching for some combinations including hid freshman point guards.
I would like to see him setup some screens for the go to 3 point shooter. It looked like the guys were throwing up random shoots from 3 point line at times.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
I thought there were several positives to take from the game.  Thought YSU competed hard and gave themselves a chance to win, but obviously aren't going to win shooting so poorly.  Had so many good looks but just couldn't knock down shots from close and long range.   

Really thought we outplayed Pitt for close to 25 mins, but eventually the missed shots took its toll.  Had a chance to get up early and also take the lead early in the 2nd half.  Had the advantage in rebounds, blocks, steals & assists at that point and still finished ahead of Pitt in all those categories other than tying with 44 rebounds.  If you looked at those stats you'd think YSU would have a really good shot at winning.  If you take away a couple of the really bad turnovers and 2 Covington basically missed layups it's a much closer game.  He really struggled shooting the ball in general.  Thought there were several forced 3's that would have been nice to have back.

This group definitely looks faster and more athletic than past YSU teams.  The press worked several times and a couple near steals.  That's an encouraging sign.  Akuchie & Hampton looked good off the bench.  Akuchie looks like he bulked up some.  Thought he gave a nice spark and played well.         

Was definitely strange without Cam.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »
You're not going to win on the road with 20 turnovers and only 11 assists.   The assists are a little skewed with the poor shooting.  Not sure you will see that bad of shooting again this season.
Excited about some of the newcomers.  Got some enforcers around the rim.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
Pitt in complete rebuild, we are always rebuilding.  Sad, but true.  Hopefully Coach Calhoun is the answer, our league is as weak as it ever has been.  He has a chance.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:46 AM »
Boy, this can be TOUGH crowd!  27-24 at the half and some of you are giving up on the season????

"Looks like the same team as last year.
Steals everywhere
Many fouls
Poor shooting
no defense: Pitt just drives to the hoop
no coherence
I watched 1Q: I snickered,, I laughed.
There is no hope, very sloppy and undisciplined"

We lost by 16 to an ACC team.  Wish I knew how may times we played ACC teams and were down only 3 at the half and lost by less than 16.  BET IT HASN'T BEEN MANY!
We'll shoot better going forward.  This team is going to be fun to watch over the next couple seasons.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »
I was at the game.  Obviously we shot horribly - many layups/bunnies missed.  But we played a physical game and got rebounds.  In the past we got one shot and that was it.  So I'm encouraged.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
Remember Pitt was last place in ACC last year .  I beleive winless in league play.  Lets hope we shoot better or another  long year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
Remember Pitt was last place in ACC last year .  I beleive winless in league play.  Lets hope we shoot better or another  long year.
last last year and picked for last again this year, true enough, but it is ACC and I still bet it was one of our best showing against an ACC team, if not the best.  We shoot poorly and were down 3 at the half.  Last year we started out losing to quality teams by30.  Progress is progress.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!