Author Topic: Football recruiting  (Read 4833 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Football recruiting
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
  There are many reasons YSU Football is in the position they are in, but recruiting issues may be the biggest.  Bo has made it clear he doesn't like recruiting, that is ridiculous.  He is a name, and in NE Ohio he should be closing the deal on top talent. 

Our young talent is not good enough to compete in this conference.   I attended the Girard vs East game on Saturday night, Girard QB Mark Waid can play here, and potentially be a star.   Early on he verbally committed to Fordham,  YSU showed little interested.  Now, YSU is on him , but it might be too late.

If Mays is our QB next year, and plays this style, he likely won't make it through the season.  Just about every team in our conference is far superior at QB.  Program is a mess.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Football recruiting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
Good stuff. I think we can make it with the QB's that we have, but we need to seriously look at O-line talent and depth. Also we need to take a serious look at our TB situation. I have not seen any thunder or lightning.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Good stuff. I think we can make it with the QB's that we have, but we need to seriously look at O-line talent and depth. Also we need to take a serious look at our TB situation. I have not seen any thunder or lightning.
I don't think depth is a problem with the OL.  We have a BUNCH of back-ups!  (what we need is quality starters!)

I though we were going to have some "thunder and lightning" the last 2 home games, but while the weather SUCKED, it never lightninged! 
While we finally got a "big back" in Braxton Chapman, we have giving him..........let me count them up.......1......yes, ONE DAMN CARRY! 
Whatever happens we know MVG is gone after this year, and we "know" Mays isn't the answer, even if the only issue is durability, he isn't gong to play more than 2-3 games in a row.  GIVE SOME OF THE QB;s and RBs a CHANCE! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »
Let's face it the recruiting has gone down hill since we finished 6-5 a year ago after coming off the title game. Factor in the Butler loss.. fewer victories this year.. the uncertainty with Pelini's future it's only going to get worse. We are currently competing against the Pioneer, Northeast and D-2 GMAC for players on a daily basis. The sad thing is we are losing players to those schools

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
I think we have and continue to miss out on talent in Stark, Summit, and Medina counties in Ohio. The MAC, AMERICAN EAST, and CONFERENCE USA teams are pulling players out of there on a consistent basis (and it's only an hour from Youngstown). Talked with two different H.S. coaches yesterday from those area's, both of their underclassmen that were Junior's held offers from other schools in these conferences but were never contacted by the YSU staff as of yet
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:28:53 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Call it what you want.  The OL didn't get the job done against NDSU, but out one's matched up with NDSU and when they decide to play, they can be outstanding.  If the OL was better we would have scored on many of those drives.  Now I am pissed that the team doesn't have the internal leadership to win.  Sad, especially when you can play with the best.