Author Topic: NDSU In-Game Thread  (Read 29183 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU In-Game Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:45 PM »
  The offensive scheme and play calling is broken.  McCaster only 8 carries?   Mays carrying the ball 24 times, he would never make it through a season.  At the end of the half is on the coaches, Mays has to be told over and over, if receiver open in end zone take a shot, if not, throw it away and kick the field goal.  Even if it is a first down at the 2 or 3 yard line, YSU had no timeouts.  Still would have to spike for field goal.  Brian Crist is lost as the coordinator.

OL can't block.  They ran the QB to get an extra hat on them, especially with the RPO.  We couldn't block their DL and that was a big factor in the game.  I thought the game plan was solid.  However, we had too many penalties and two major mistakes by the Qb.

1 the slide where he could have gotten the first down and didn't.  We hung hunter out to dry for the same thing.  May's made a big mistake there nobody is saying anything.
2 the worst mistake in the game, spiking the ball on 4th down.
3 dropped pass by the receiver that was wide open (not the QBs fault)
Those mistakes costs us points and ultimately the game.  Surprisingly they matched up well with them.

I watch a lot of football and know what I saw.  Anyone disagree?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:23:47 AM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
  The offensive scheme and play calling is broken.  McCaster only 8 carries?   Mays carrying the ball 24 times, he would never make it through a season.  At the end of the half is on the coaches, Mays has to be told over and over, if receiver open in end zone take a shot, if not, throw it away and kick the field goal.  Even if it is a first down at the 2 or 3 yard line, YSU had no timeouts.  Still would have to spike for field goal.  Brian Crist is lost as the coordinator.

OL can't block.  They ran the QB to get an extra hat on them, especially with the RPO.  We couldn't block their DL that was a big factor in the game.  I thought the game plan was solid.  However, we had too many penalties and two major mistakes by the Qb.

1 the slide where he could have gotten the first down and didn't.  We hung hunter out to dry for the same thing.  May's made a big mistake.
2 the worst mistake in the game, spiking the ball on 4th doen.
3 dropped pass by the receiver that was wide open (not the QBs fault)
Those mistakes costs us points and ultimately the game.  Surprisingly they matched up well with them.

I watch a lot of football and know what I saw.  Anyone disagree?

Nope, I agree.

Its frustrating when you know you can play with a team like NDSU, but you don't because you make mistake after mistake.

Its sad but this is what I've come to expect.

If we were just fundamentally sound we would likely be a playoff team. in more years than not.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
I think the dropped td pass and spike on 4th down really hurt.  But more important I think is the play at the beginning of the game where we should have had at least a FG or better yet a TD.  All the games it seems we miss opportunities that would have but pressure on the other team at the beginning of the game and we miss out. Our D is not great, but acceptable. The offense really puts them into to many possessions and we are mostly down on the scoreboard.  Our left tackle was getting beat time after time and we had no running back to help pick him up.  So the QB was in trouble and cant really do much under that pressure. Game plan was shaky in my opinion running the QB and not 37.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
I agree with what you are saying Power, but Mays clearly had that 1st-down.  On a related, but separate note, I would also point out that Bo wasted our last timeout.