Author Topic: YSU Basketball coverage  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Basketball coverage
« on: October 23, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
So is the Vindy ever going to post an article regarding YSU men's basketball?  No hype from The Vindicator at all. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Basketball coverage
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Last season there were also a lot of videos that were on twitter.  Much more subdue this year.  Very quiet compared to last season.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
Surprised not much out there by now.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
I thought the same thing...we're 2 weeks away from the season with a game against Pitt & you'd think it was summer.  There was definitely a lot more excitement and promos last year.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:52:55 PM »
If anything, there should be more excitement this year. Good talent on the squad if they can gel together. They actually have a PG now in Morgan.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
Last year's team was really undercut by the injury to Santiago.  They seemed to be waiting on Francisco to return and he never did.  Kind of a lost season on the court, but progress made on transitioning the roster and style of play.  Looking forward to a much improved season.  I think .500 is possible.  Thoughts?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »
Last year's team was really undercut by the injury to Santiago.  They seemed to be waiting on Francisco to return and he never did.  Kind of a lost season on the court, but progress made on transitioning the roster and style of play.  Looking forward to a much improved season.  I think .500 is possible.  Thoughts?

I agree.  Covington really impressed me last year and I'm excited to see what he'll do.  Naz was at beast at times underneath but a lot of times had trouble finishing.  Hopefully some more consistency out of him.  Those 2 have the ability to take over a game. 

I thought Noe really improved late in the year compared to early in the season when you just held your breath when he had the ball or the ball was coming to him. 

Hope to see improvement from Akuchie.  Seems like a streaky player and one that could really get hot at times. 

Obviously the rest we'll have to see, but hopefully are fits for Calhoun's style. 

One thing I hope we improve on is free throw shooting.  It's been pathetic in recent seasons.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

I agree.  Covington really impressed me last year and I'm excited to see what he'll do.  Naz was at beast at times underneath but a lot of times had trouble finishing.  Hopefully some more consistency out of him.  Those 2 have the ability to take over a game. 

I thought Noe really improved late in the year compared to early in the season when you just held your breath when he had the ball or the ball was coming to him. 

Hope to see improvement from Akuchie.  Seems like a streaky player and one that could really get hot at times. 

Obviously the rest we'll have to see, but hopefully are fits for Calhoun's style. 

One thing I hope we improve on is free throw shooting.  It's been pathetic in recent seasons.
I agree with each of your player profiles, but the key are the point guards.  1 transfer and 1 freshman are key.  When BB teams don't finish well, and God knows we didn't,  it is almost always point guard play.  Free throw shooting is well documented!  The thing about recruits style is they are Calhoun recruits.  So if they don't match his style of play somebody is just dumb.  Calhoun ISN'T, so I'm expecting the roster turnover to allow much more consistent play.  Good grief, he inherit guys like Strollo, it isn't going to work.  I'm NOT knocking Ryan, but he just isn't built for the Calhoun style of play.  One thing for sure, the press and uptempo is entertaining to watch, so should be fun.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
Devin Morgan is gonna be a hell of a point guard for this team. You have Quisenberry who can back him up and you have Taylor who can play point or the 2 guard. Team is gonna have some talent.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
Should be having a press conference soon, no ?

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »
Coach Calhoun will be at the Curbstone Coaches Monday at noon at the Avion. I am positive that this will be his initial press release on the 2018-19 YSU men's basketball team. The Luncheon is open to the public.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
http://horizonleague.org/news/2018/10/23/mens-basketball-2018-19-hlmbb-preview-youngstown-state.aspx

A small update.
"small" being the key word.  That isn't much of an update.  He sounds more like Bill Belichick than Jarrod Calhoun in this blurb!