Author Topic: South Dakota game thread  (Read 17360 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota in game thread
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
I am glad we won. But, wtf if  Gordy was hurt would Nate keep running the Ball and taking hit after hit plain Forrest Gump stupid.  We are still in track for 4 wins!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
I am glad we won. But, wtf if  Gordy was hurt would Nate keep running the Ball and taking hit after hit plain Forrest Gump stupid.  We are still in track for 4 wins!
Agree, I’m always so happy when gummy runs out of bounds...
Sure Mays is tough but he does take a lot of unnecessary hits

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
Amazing, a nice win and some folks still find negative things to post.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penforlife

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »
Nice win ...Hail Youngstown !

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
a win is better than a loss, 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
I wasn’t being negative stating a fact.  Nathan runs himself till he gets hurt. Has he not been injured last year, the year before etc and this year. I am glad we won.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Perfect storm here. Get a passing team like South Dakota in these conditions and it's great news for YSU.
Hey Chief, and I quote "This will be another L. The players have quit on the coaches."

Your weather comment not withstanding, your "quite on the coaches" comment is brought into grave question.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota game thread
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Did not expect to be up on SD 19 to 0 in the 1st quarter... We are dominating at the line and... Grant gonya is kicking the PAT instead of Kennedy. Wow.
Perhaps "attempting to kick the PATs" would be better wording?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 09:28:09 AM »
Perfect storm here. Get a passing team like South Dakota in these conditions and it's great news for YSU.
Hey Chief, and I quote "This will be another L. The players have quit on the coaches."

Your weather comment not withstanding, your "quite on the coaches" comment is brought into grave question.

Let's not act like it's all sunshine and roses here now. We beat a team who loves to throw the ball all game long in a torrential downpour with 40 mph winds all game long. Got lucky. This team still stinks.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »
Look, Whether it was planned or injury ...placing Mays in the game is the only thing that brought the offense back into the game. We were sunk & would likely have lost that game. For the 3rd time this season, our offense was figured out early in the second quarter & shut down; just like every other big-12 offense. Congrats on the line making some strides on run blocking (nice misdirection), but VG was running for his life from Q2, until he left the game. Thanks for finally changing up that play with #26. I like it, but it is not going to work if you do not run a couple of keepers and pass out of the pattern (can we hand off instead of pitch, at least when the ball is soaked?).

I would hope that they will let Mays throw the next time he is in. USD was a much worse team than I expected. Their QB could not find his rhythm. We have another W, let's hope it is not the last.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
  Was a good win.  Finally committed to the run, and did what we do best.  I think we win again on Saturday, and that will be our last win, maybe outside shot at Beating UNI.  Coaching is the biggest reason for this disaster season.  Crist way in over his head calling plays.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 08:52:53 PM »
Look, Whether it was planned or injury ...placing Mays in the game is the only thing that brought the offense back into the game. We were sunk & would likely have lost that game. For the 3rd time this season, our offense was figured out early in the second quarter & shut down; just like every other big-12 offense. Congrats on the line making some strides on run blocking (nice misdirection), but VG was running for his life from Q2, until he left the game. Thanks for finally changing up that play with #26. I like it, but it is not going to work if you do not run a couple of keepers and pass out of the pattern (can we hand off instead of pitch, at least when the ball is soaked?).

I would hope that they will let Mays throw the next time he is in. USD was a much worse team than I expected. Their QB could not find his rhythm. We have another W, let's hope it is not the last.

Yeah that offense really came to life when Mays came in! They scored 0 points lol. C'mon now....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »

I think that Mays gave the Offense the big spark that it needed, maybe we did not realize any points but it was able to chew up a lot of time.

Nice to see Joe A. get a couple of carries, I think that he brings a spark when he comes in.

For Mays sake I wish the would let him throw a safe pass now and then.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
C'mon guys!  Mays is like running the wildcat with a RB taking the snap.  It can definitely be a nice change of pace, and be effective in the short run.  It was definitely that on Saturday night.  But that can't be your offense in these days of the spread.  Frankly I'm not sure we would have won Saturday without Mays eating up a lot of time and making several very important 1st downs.  Nathan is a change of pace from MVG, but certainly NOT a potential replacement. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:43 AM »

Yeah that offense really came to life when Mays came in! They scored 0 points lol. C'mon now....

With the handcuffs on Mays (Obvious) that was not the intent. We needed to chew clock and ignite the run game. Otherwise we would have definitely lost that game ...no question about it. Just like SDSU. Our new found Big-12 offense is not working beyond a couple of sets in Q1 and maybe one set after the half. The difference between this game and SDSU is that we could not put up the same number of points in Q1 against SDSU, as we did against USD. We had only one TD in 3-quarters of football ...most of which was under the command of VG. That TD was by the defense.

Cheif, I am not saying replace VG with Mays (unless Mays is in the running for next year); but in order for he, or any QB to be effective, they must be allowed to utilize all facets of the offense, including the pass.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:40:21 AM by IAA Fan »