Author Topic: South Dakota game thread  (Read 17495 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota game thread
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Yeah that offense really came to life when Mays came in! They scored 0 points lol. C'mon now....

With the handcuffs on Mays (Obvious) that was not the intent. We needed to chew clock and ignite the run game. Otherwise we would have definitely lost that game ...no question about it. Just like SDSU. Our new found Big-12 offense is not working beyond a couple of sets in Q1 and maybe one set after the half. The difference between this game and SDSU is that we could not put up the same number of points in Q1 against SDSU, as we did against USD. We had only one TD in 3-quarters of football ...most of which was under the command of VG. That TD was by the defense.

Cheif, I am not saying replace VG with Mays (unless Mays is in the running for next year); but in order for he, or any QB to be effective, they must be allowed to utilize all facets of the offense, including the pass.
1AA, what you say about only needing to run clock and maintain possession last Saturday is 100% on point.  I was praying he didn't chuck one downfield.  Btu 1/2 because we didn't need to pass and 1/2 because he can't pass!  As I said, Mays is like running the Wildcat.  Effective in the short run, not so much for an extended period of time.
Anybody know the status of MVG for Saturday afternoon?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:11:51 AM by IAA Fan »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
I am not so certain I agree with you on Mays passing. His only significant playing time came in 2017-18:

In the air:
8 Games,    75  of 113 passing for 905 yards. 113.1 per game and a rating of 143.6 with 4-INT's.  4TDs

With his feet:
Averaged 9.1 rushes per game, for 75-yards. Also had 4TD's and 2 fumbles.

He had 3 times as many yards passing, as he did running. Actually it was a less than balanced attack that favored the pass, in which Mays was highly efficient.

It is really the matter of making a commitment to using Mays, and opening up the play book. To me there is not doubt that VG has grown and can throw deeper/tighter patterns into traffic, but Mays offers quite a bit of unique skills himself. How far would Mays have advanced this year ...I do not know... but I still think he demonstrated last year that he can lead this team.

Where VG has the distinct advantage is keeping the pass-play alive (with his feet) after the snap, and this is where our line is failing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 10:34:55 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
I am not so certain I agree with you on Mays passing. His only significant playing time came in 2017-18:

In the air:
8 Games,    75  of 113 passing for 905 yards. 113.1 per game and a rating of 143.6 with 4-INT's.  4TDs

With his feet:
Averaged 9.1 rushes per game, for 75-yards. Also had 4TD's and 2 fumbles.

He had 3 times as many yards passing, as he did running. Actually it was a less than balanced attack that favored the pass, in which Mays was highly efficient.

It is really the matter of making a commitment to using Mays, and opening up the play book. To me there is not doubt that VG has grown and can throw deeper/tighter patterns into traffic, but Mays offers quite a bit of unique skills himself. How far would Mays have advanced this year ...I do not know... but I still think he demonstrated last year that he can lead this team.

Where VG has the distinct advantage is keeping the pass-play alive (with his feet) after the snap, and this is where our line is failing.
I am not going to get in another text argument with you over May's ability to pass.  Even with the stats you quote from last year, he was below average for YSU for the season and well behind Ricky Davis throwing, and the year before he was also below average and WAY behind Hunter Wells.
You don't need to go past the coaching staff to suggest I'm closer to accurate that your confidence in Mays.  I think he's a great kid and I wish him well, I just don't want to depend on his arm in a football game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
Not behind Davis in the slightest (more accurate) ....definitely behind Wells. In any case, Bo does not seem to want Mays; so it's time for the other three, unless Bo is going to wait for another loss to be certain of our post-season fate. Also, I hope we do not blow Gonya's red-shirt.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
Not behind Davis in the slightest (more accurate) ....definitely behind Wells. In any case, Bo does not seem to want Mays; so it's time for the other three, unless Bo is going to wait for another loss to be certain of our post-season fate. Also, I hope we do not blow Gonya's red-shirt.
RD QB rating 209, NM QB rating 143  Mays ints vs TDs 4/4  Davis 1/5 That is a pretty big difference to me.  For crying out loud, we're not comparein them to Tom Brady, it's comparing Mays to Davis! That's like saying who is the best high jumper between you and me!  (I assume you, but my best guess is we are both POOR!)

What you note about Bo and Nathan is obviously true (that's why I pointed it out) It is also obvious that Bo would prefer a QB that could run vs a drop back like Wells, that is why Montgomery is gone (Shane not VG).  So if Mays can run and Bo still doesn't want him, they guess what the coach thinks about his ability to throw?

I don't get the Gonya comment. He will have 3 years left after this, and he doesn't remind me of Wilkins or McFadden by a LONG shot just yet!  Don't forget, missing his first TWO extra points left that game in question until the pick 6 in the 4th quarter.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
As to Gonya, no use blowing his red shirt now. Although I noticed his dad (Curt) was there for the 1992 celebration, so maybe Bo was doing the right thing. At least I am pretty sure that is his father.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
I noticed the S.D. coaches changed their defense up when Mays entered the game. They thought  Mays was more of a threat with finding receivers downfield especially on the RPO'S then Vangorder. Bo has been giving V.G. heck for this all year. We still lack a quarterback that can sit in the pocket and survey the field with much success and decision making like needed. Our last three opponents will shut down our running game completely and force us to beat them through the air
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:19:01 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »