Author Topic: Western Illinois Week  (Read 10180 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Western Illinois Week
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
They're coming off a bye as well. Beat Montana the week before at home. Let's hope all the dinged up players are healthy and ready to go. Must win.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Western Illinois Week
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »
Let's hope they still run out of the pass, Our D can handle that.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
They're coming off a bye as well. Beat Montana the week before at home. Let's hope all the dinged up players are healthy and ready to go. Must win.
Agreed, everything but NDSU is a "must win" with the Butler disaster on our record. 
Looking for encouragement where ever I can find it, WVU is damn good and performance against them was "credible"  (WETF credible means?!?!?)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »
Cannot agree our performance at WVU was credible. They put in the cheerleaders in the final 15-20 minutes and still ran for a 1st-down on every snap. Butler was beyond belief and Valpo was "as-expected" after the first 20-25 minutes. That is what I liked most about VanGorder last week, he did not need the entire first-half to get things going.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Cannot agree our performance at WVU was credible. They put in the cheerleaders in the final 15-20 minutes and still ran for a 1st-down on every snap. Butler was beyond belief and Valpo was "as-expected" after the first 20-25 minutes. That is what I liked most about VanGorder last week, he did not need the entire first-half to get things going.
I know they went to the bench, but if those were the cheerleaders, then they have the ugliest cheerleaders ever! (and I'll never make it to the SCOTUS!)
McCaster and Turner has 120 yds on 24 carries for 5 yards per carry, Farrar had 6 for 135 22.5 per catch.  very "credible" offensive performance.
Their yards were top 2 RBs and top 2 Rec.  Backups didn't do the damage, the front line guys did.  To me, it was a "credible" performance for a team than can score on anybody.  To me, they are as good as TCU and TCU gave OSU all they wanted. Therefore "credible"!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
Agreed, everything but NDSU is a "must win" with the Butler disaster on our record. 
Looking for encouragement where ever I can find it, WVU is damn good and performance against them was "credible"  (WETF credible means?!?!?)

We can afford to lose to SDSU as well I think. The #2 and #3 teams in the valley are going to get at large bids guaranteed, the playoff committee won’t care who you lost to in week 1 if you can grind out quality wins in MVFC play. I guarantee you we’re making the playoff if we end up third in the valley, and probably 4th as well.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »

We can afford to lose to SDSU as well I think. The #2 and #3 teams in the valley are going to get at large bids guaranteed, the playoff committee won’t care who you lost to in week 1 if you can grind out quality wins in MVFC play. I guarantee you we’re making the playoff if we end up third in the valley, and probably 4th as well.

The committee absolutely will care about the Butler loss. That's the reason this team will not make the playoffs.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »

The committee absolutely will care about the Butler loss. That's the reason this team will not make the playoffs.

If we somehow go 6-2 in conference play we’ll end up in the top 25 (probably top 20) and there’s no way the committee would keep a  ranked MVFC team out of the playoffs. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but this conference gets too much benefit of the doubt.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:49:53 AM »

[/quote]

If we somehow go 6-2 in conference play we’ll end up in the top 25 (probably top 20) and there’s no way the committee would keep a  ranked MVFC team out of the playoffs. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but this conference gets too much benefit of the doubt.
[/quote]
Kandrase, the way I read this is Saturday is in fact a "must win".  We all seem to assume a loss in Fargo, so if you accept your 6-2 required finish (which is credible to me) then you have to win against the Leathernecks, or you have to win at all your remaining games including at SDSU and at Ill State, neither which will be easy.  The one thing Butler did is make it easy to focus going forward,  win or stay home.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 12:44:58 AM »
Better keep an eye on that QB or we're going to be torched.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »

[/quote]
Kandrase, the way I read this is Saturday is in fact a "must win".  We all seem to assume a loss in Fargo, so if you accept your 6-2 required finish (which is credible to me) then you have to win against the Leathernecks, or you have to win at all your remaining games including at SDSU and at Ill State, neither which will be easy.  The one thing Butler did is make it easy to focus going forward,  win or stay home.
[/quote]

Yes. I think every game except for SDSU or NDSU is a must win. The comment I responded to said every game except NDSU was a must win, implying we’d need to go 7-1 in conference play to make the playoffs. I was just saying our margin of error is slightly larger
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:32:54 AM by Kandrase »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
As league play is about to begin can't you sense the excitement.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:51 PM »
The more I look at this game, the more I see our secondary getting exposed and another loss coming. Just don't have the depth and talent.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
From the Western Illinois Football Forum site :  YSU is a team that has been struggling lately with both on-the-field and off-the-field issues. Offensively, they have one really good player, Tevin McCaster, but they don't have much in the way of receiving threats. Off-the-field, there's been legal issues with a couple of their players, plus an assistant coach on suspension during a domestic violence investigation, which seems like it's made focusing on football somewhat difficult for the Penguins. Overall, it's looking like a down year in general for YSU, but they still won't be a "pushover". I trust that our defense should be able to hold their own against the YSU offense, but I'm still hoping to see an improved run game from our first few games. I think we do take a step forward and win by 6.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
No receiving threats? I guess farrar and our tight ends don't count?