Author Topic: Valpo  (Read 17070 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
I'll try to pay closer attention to him specifically then. Even in the other games, from what I've seen he's looked good. I can definitely be wrong though.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
Good news is YSU is playing better now.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
VanGorder is a pretty good QB. Throws a nice ball. Don’t let some certain people on this board fool you in thinking otherwise.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
I agree. From seeing him play, he has gotten better every game too. To be expected when playing without much experience. But he looks really good. If we can stabilize other issues, then... maybe there is hope for the season. haven't had a QB like this in a while.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
The QB did look better. But he better he has 8 games left on his lease to QB us.  My beef is we will still be looking for The guy again next year.  Going 6 and 5 won’t make the playoffs. Give the other guys reps that’s all. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
The QB did look better. But he better he has 8 games left on his lease to QB us.  My beef is we will still be looking for The guy again next year.  Going 6 and 5 won’t make the playoffs. Give the other guys reps that’s all.

Maybe if Monty knew how to actually recruit a decent QB, we wouldn't be in this situation. Plenty of non D-1 kids on this roster. You play the best guy.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 06:06:26 PM »
Monty thought Craycraft was going to be the guy.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 07:14:20 PM »
Too many penalties.
The one hit on the blind side of the defender on the punt return was especially bad and unnecessary. The hit occurred after the returner had already turned the corner. It happened right in front of me. I saw the hit coming and I yelled "don't hit him" . He did it anyway.

I thought the most stupid play was committed by the refs, all six of them. Vapo went for it on the fourth down &4 and the pass was an incompleteion. After the play, the side judge threw the flag for side line warning against ysu which resulted in a 5 yards penalty (2nd warning). Instead of marking off 5 yards against ysu, then ysu would get the ball for the 1st & 10.
They gave the ball back to Vapo for a first and 10. Every one in our section and Bo & staff figured it out immediately except those 6 dummies. They were ready to start play. It cost Bo a time out to force a discussion with the ref before it was corrected.
Really? All six of them...not one of them figured it out?

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
I know many on this board poo poo all conferences except Missouri valley but butler high school just  got smacked around at home by lowly Princeton 50-7.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I know many on this board poo poo all conferences except Missouri valley but butler high school just  got smacked around at home by lowly Princeton 50-7.

I did notice that. Surprisingly though, you will find that the majority of the board is anti Missouri valley. There are a few on here like me that are very fond of it, but the rest? Yeah  they actually aren't very fond of it. So when you say what you said, you're actually gonna get alot of agreement on here.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
I get a kick out if how the local broadcasters and post game commenters rant and rave about beating what amounts a Division !!! team.  Let's talk about how improved we are after we beat someone of significance.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
I am not getting too excited against Valpo. ON the other hand we won, that is all I will say. We won as we should have ...nothing more. Offense improved? Yes. Why? Passes to #20 (a tailback) and behind the LOS.  Right out of coach Shane's playbook Chief and not used the first two weeks. You act like myself and others dislike VG. I have recognized his improvements every week. However, I find myself out there grading him like a frosh, when he is a senior. You are not mentioning the best thing about VG's performance yesterday ...he tossed longer passes over-the-middle; for accuracy; that was the main thing that made me prefer Mays. Those corner tosses are just safe hopes at a penalty or blown coverage; which we should expect against Valpo. I mean Valpo's top coverage guy is a transfer from SDSU, that was not a starter for the Jackrabbits. Also new to the offense this week, they again dove into Monty's (former coach) book and returned some backfield motion,  ran one sweep and brought in a fullback. However, we cannot continue to play with no real plan again the league. I don't know what cereal McCaster ate yesterday, but he was much more explosive ...something he has never shown before and it was nice to see. I hope he can do it against real competition. Need more strength up front still & that is unfortunately not there & I am not sure that we can make the MVFC gauntlet without it.

Defense is still really weak and lacks fundamental skills ...like tackling. Did you see a single hands-on tackle (against a running ball carrier) below the waist yesterday (or in any of the first 3-games)? You do not think that league teams are going to run around that (just as WVa did)? Shoulder bumping is just prep-school play, only useful in the NFL and for knocking the guy out of bounds. We still have coverage that is scared-stiff to let something get behind them and playing 5-yards off their man every time. Dline & LB's okay after 1.5 quarters, but again, level of competition has me suspicious. I am not going to forget that Butler pushed them around and the MVFC is not Valpo or Butler. Also did anyone else get a kick out of a DB wearing the headset, instead of a QB? Nobody questions coaching?

Other miscellaneous. I am still behind Kennedy's leg and punting has been spectacular so far this year. I really like the way our special teams coverage splits-up and comes in 2-waves. #10 could be something really special for our return game.

Just remember 6-2 in the MVFC or we have no post-season. Also Hess, Davis and Wells were great QB's recruited by coach Shane. Nania, Wargo and Garry were more than respectable back-ups. Just as Mays is a good QB right now. So just because you prefer a different style of offense, there is nothing that you can say that does not make Shane the second-best OC that we have had in my lifetime (no Tressel is not #1, nor is he an OC)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:27:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
I get a kick out if how the local broadcasters and post game commenters rant and rave about beating what amounts a Division !!! team.  Let's talk about how improved we are after we beat someone of significance.

It's called being positive.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
Monty thought Craycraft was going to be the guy.
So does Bo.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
Your takes are delusional. Have been for years..

Your boy Mays isn't a D1 QB.

#12 isn't a D1 player either. Local kid. Only reason he's here on the team. Wasting a scholly to catch punts ? He had a 20 yard return against Valpo and that makes him special ?