Author Topic: QB Play  (Read 6599 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
QB Play
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
I keep going back and forth on the aspects of VanGorder vs. Mays.

-VG has a little quicker release, but not much. Additionally I think they both are about the same in knowing when to dump it.

-Mays has more power on the short passes, but we do not seem to have a receiving RB this year (something I really miss) so it may not matter. While VG has better touch on medium passes. Long passes I would call a draw.

-They are two different types of runners, with Mays better off-line for yards and VG better at getting open to throw.

-Mays seems to read the field slightly better, but neither is up to par.

-As to leadership, I have to think that we do not fall apart so easily under Mays ...simply because of experience.

So it is still a draw and I would like to see how Mays performs. Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:14:37 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Play
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
I agree with alot of your points...

But I will say I think van gorder has a better long ball. He just needs to get better at timing his receivers.

Also van gorder is smarter about getting rid of the ball when there is no play.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
VanGorder is better. And he's had 2 career starts.

Mays cannot read the field and has a weak arm.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
what i like about Van gorder is he dose not just take off and run.  look at the TD against WV.  Kept play alive with legs but kept looking downfield 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
1AA sometime we should get together and watch the same team! 
Mays has had a couple years starting and VanGoder 2 starts, yet you give a pass to Mays on falling apart due to experience? 
Mays is a far inferior passer. Doesn't have touch, doesn't have accuracy, can't spot secondary receivers, looks to run after a second (literally 1 second) in the pocket, and consistantly gets hurt when he does.
We don't know what we have in Montgomery, but he scored 17 in WVU and that keeps his starting job in my book.
I don't see what you see in Mays, and never did.  If VanGorder goes down, my bet in on Joe Craycraft stepping in, not Mays.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
I am not saying that VG is not a better choice, I am saying that I do not know. The difference is slight and the future is graduation. I also agree that we should start a young guy ... not sure it is Craycraft ...he has just been ordained in the past month. I think Mays passing inside is better. There is just no way for me to say that VG is hands-down better than Mays. However, I would agree that we have an offense better suited to his skills, so it is probably best. Let's just wait and see I guess. If we go beyond 4-losses I better see one of the young guys use all 4 of his allowed games.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 12:23:36 AM »
Vangorder gets better as the game goes on.  He is terrible is first few series (or qtr).

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
I am not saying that VG is not a better choice, I am saying that I do not know. The difference is slight and the future is graduation. I also agree that we should start a young guy ... not sure it is Craycraft ...he has just been ordained in the past month. I think Mays passing inside is better. There is just no way for me to say that VG is hands-down better than Mays. However, I would agree that we have an offense better suited to his skills, so it is probably best. Let's just wait and see I guess. If we go beyond 4-losses I better see one of the young guys use all 4 of his allowed games.
Frankly, almost all teams "get" to give the younger guys some experience due to injuries.  I hope that isn't the case for YSU and VG, but odds are........... 
easy enough for us to agree to disagree on Mays.  he's been starting games for 2 seasons with little success, and I'm with the coaching staff: time to move on.  I'm also not sure it's Craycraft.  I have loved the athletic ability Cunningham brings to the table from day 1 of his signing.  We'll see going forward. I assume a lot will come down to the style of the new HC.  Joe maybe a better thrower, Jadyen a better runner. 
One thing for sure, if we don't figure a way to get to pressure on the QB, all the naysayers are going to be right about the season being "over".
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
If we go beyond 4-losses I better see one of the young guys use all 4 of his allowed games.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but I strongly agree.  Get a look at the young QBs once the playoffs are officially out of the question.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
I love Conner's size and Pedigree. May no longer fit the system. Under Montgomery (OC, not QB) I saw him stepping is after (or in place of) Mays  I do expect to see Wildcat with Cunningham ...they were running it during the second-to-last scrimmage. Not much success, but the defense was expecting it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
Bo wouldn't have brought VanGorder in if he thought Mays could do the job. Plain and simple.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »
Bo wouldn't have brought VanGorder in if he thought Mays could do the job. Plain and simple.

Yes and he wrecks QB's running them up the middle