Author Topic: The reality of Youngstown St. Football  (Read 10775 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The reality of Youngstown St. Football
« on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
Reality:  The football program has regressed to the point it is no longer a top tier contender in league play and is no longer a National power in FCS.

Diehard fan board perception.  Still predicting playoff seasons and thinks we are an FCS power.

Reality: The state of Youngstown has lost population, and is no longer a premier HS recruiting hotbed.  Loss of many different companies has hurt the area as well.  The money has dried up.

Perception.  If we just recruit this area we will win.  Where are all the fans?  Why aren’t more people donating money etc to the a Penguin Club. Etc

We are in denial on this board because of what happened 25 years ago. The powers to be never got us to the next level when we had the chance. The area is dying and the fan base is dying off and the millennial don’t give a sh**.  We can’t afford to spend what we are spending and never get to the playoffs.  Now the Butlers are beating us and spending pennies on the dollar in their program.  It hasn’t worked since Tressel people!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The reality of Youngstown St. Football
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
I am as unhappy as anyone else here but one game does not show where we are at.  Wen we beat Pitt we did not go to playoffs.  In 16 we made it to the Championship game.  Had it not been for the suspensions we win that game.

HS football is dying in the area.  Too many soccer moms out there. I have a HS daughter and the kids don't play football anymore.  That is sad.  I don't know if there is a future in football around here. 

The university is bigger than ever with record enrolment so not sure where you put the blame.

I started following this board after the Marshal loss in 2001 and there are mostly doom and gloom people here.  Typical Youngstown. 

The next few games will tell the story of where we are. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
I am as unhappy as anyone else here but one game does not show where we are at.  Wen we beat Pitt we did not go to playoffs.  In 16 we made it to the Championship game.  Had it not been for the suspensions we win that game.

HS football is dying in the area.  Too many soccer moms out there. I have a HS daughter and the kids don't play football anymore.  That is sad.  I don't know if there is a future in football around here. 

The university is bigger than ever with record enrolment so not sure where you put the blame.

I started following this board after the Marshal loss in 2001 and there are mostly doom and gloom people here.  Typical Youngstown. 

The next few games will tell the story of where we are.

This was a refreshing post. Can we please let the 2018 season commence before we declare it done? Yes most of us on this board are probably a little over optimistic, but the REALITY is that we lost 1 game in 2018 so far.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »
Sorry, but you don't lose to Butler. Not this year, not any year.

YSU is not a national championship contender. A top 25 program but that's about it.

2016 was a fluke. With Rivers and Moss flourishing at the right time and the transfers came together and we stayed very healthy. Also, got lucky with some of the playoff games and let's be real, the Eastern Washington game was very very lucky.

Reality is the program is not what it was in the 90's and probably never will be again.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
I love YSU but it just pisses me off how we never parlayed our success into being in a conference for all sports. This BS that we are in the right conferences is BS.   I read this article on Butler in their transition into the Big East and having one of the smaller budgets.  They have made it work.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/572502001
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:44:56 PM »
Would this happen to NDSU?  A loss to Butler? Unfathomable
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:47:27 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »
So what is the solution (for football) Since there is a lack of support, which may never grow to what we had in the 90's, do we go the non scholarship route.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
Excellent insight, especially by chief.   Since Jim Tressel departed for Ohio State, two playoff appearances in 16 years.  I agree about Pelini being the teflon coach, had Heacock or Wolford lost to Butler High School, the outcry would be much more severe.

I could go on and on about Pelini, but will stop for now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:01:54 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
Correction. The university does not have record enrollment.  Not too long ago it was over 15,000, about 2500 more than now. The campus apartment boom has created more on campus housing and was supposed to lead to more of a true campus environment. Not sure that is happening. Is the student section larger and more enthusiastic? 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Correction. The university does not have record enrollment.  Not too long ago it was over 15,000, about 2500 more than now. The campus apartment boom has created more on campus housing and was supposed to lead to more of a true campus environment. Not sure that is happening. Is the student section larger and more enthusiastic?

This year was the biggest freshman class ever. Also the class with the highest GPA. Things are picking up campus wise.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »

We are not at record enrollment. However, we now have over 2500 students living on campus with all on campus at full capacity. The enrollment has been going gradually I upward (since Tressel's arrival) reversing the downward trend of the last decade.
In order to get these on campus students to attend the sporting events, university has to actively engage these students. Nothing would excite these students than winning programs. Losing to a team like Butler did not help. Basketball programs were horrible last few years.
Students will come if we start winning. We have to see how things are going to work out.

I have been attending YSU (YU) football games since my Freshman year in 1966. Losing to Butler was the worse defeat I have never experienced. It was a total team effort (or lack off) for this perfect storm to happen.

The coaches will have to explain to me why our DB ot LB continued to play behind the receivers to give up those 6-10 yard completions when all they needed was a field goal.  They played as if we were trying to protect against a touchdown.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »

[/quote]

I have been attending YSU (YU) football games since my Freshman year in 1966. Losing to Butler was the worse defeat I have never experienced. It was a total team effort (or lack off) for this perfect storm to happen.

The coaches will have to explain to me why our DB ot LB continued to play behind the receivers to give up those 6-10 yard completions when all they needed was a field goal.  They played as if we were trying to protect against a touchdown.
[/quote]
Agreed, worst ever!
It wasn't just the last drive, it was every damn snap the entire game!  Worst coaching job I've ever witnessed.  My grandson's under 125# team would make better adjustments at the half!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
McNutt may be gone for good...

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
Starters aren't even making it to practice because of class conflicts.... Dear lord.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
Starters aren't even making it to practice because of class conflicts.... Dear lord.

Wow, that is news to me!

My student athlete was late for my classes all the time because coaches kept them past the scheduled classes. They weren't allowed to come to class until the practices were done (or suffer the consequences).