YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The reality of Youngstown St. Football

(1/4) > >>

YSUGO:
Reality:  The football program has regressed to the point it is no longer a top tier contender in league play and is no longer a National power in FCS.

Diehard fan board perception.  Still predicting playoff seasons and thinks we are an FCS power.

Reality: The state of Youngstown has lost population, and is no longer a premier HS recruiting hotbed.  Loss of many different companies has hurt the area as well.  The money has dried up.

Perception.  If we just recruit this area we will win.  Where are all the fans?  Why aren’t more people donating money etc to the a Penguin Club. Etc

We are in denial on this board because of what happened 25 years ago. The powers to be never got us to the next level when we had the chance. The area is dying and the fan base is dying off and the millennial don’t give a sh**.  We can’t afford to spend what we are spending and never get to the playoffs.  Now the Butlers are beating us and spending pennies on the dollar in their program.  It hasn’t worked since Tressel people!

Buddy:
I am as unhappy as anyone else here but one game does not show where we are at.  Wen we beat Pitt we did not go to playoffs.  In 16 we made it to the Championship game.  Had it not been for the suspensions we win that game.

HS football is dying in the area.  Too many soccer moms out there. I have a HS daughter and the kids don't play football anymore.  That is sad.  I don't know if there is a future in football around here. 

The university is bigger than ever with record enrolment so not sure where you put the blame.

I started following this board after the Marshal loss in 2001 and there are mostly doom and gloom people here.  Typical Youngstown. 

The next few games will tell the story of where we are. 

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: Buddy on September 03, 2018, 06:08:01 PM ---I am as unhappy as anyone else here but one game does not show where we are at.  Wen we beat Pitt we did not go to playoffs.  In 16 we made it to the Championship game.  Had it not been for the suspensions we win that game.

HS football is dying in the area.  Too many soccer moms out there. I have a HS daughter and the kids don't play football anymore.  That is sad.  I don't know if there is a future in football around here. 

The university is bigger than ever with record enrolment so not sure where you put the blame.

I started following this board after the Marshal loss in 2001 and there are mostly doom and gloom people here.  Typical Youngstown. 

The next few games will tell the story of where we are.

--- End quote ---

This was a refreshing post. Can we please let the 2018 season commence before we declare it done? Yes most of us on this board are probably a little over optimistic, but the REALITY is that we lost 1 game in 2018 so far.

ytownchief22:
Sorry, but you don't lose to Butler. Not this year, not any year.

YSU is not a national championship contender. A top 25 program but that's about it.

2016 was a fluke. With Rivers and Moss flourishing at the right time and the transfers came together and we stayed very healthy. Also, got lucky with some of the playoff games and let's be real, the Eastern Washington game was very very lucky.

Reality is the program is not what it was in the 90's and probably never will be again.

YSUGO:
I love YSU but it just pisses me off how we never parlayed our success into being in a conference for all sports. This BS that we are in the right conferences is BS.   I read this article on Butler in their transition into the Big East and having one of the smaller budgets.  They have made it work.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/572502001

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version