Author Topic: Season is over  (Read 25576 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Season is over
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
The team (Valpo) was in the same conference as YSU for over 15-years (2 conferences) and you know Slippery Rock better? I guess you do not follow any other YSU sports? I would rather play Valpo and Butler, because these teams were in the HL when these games were scheduled.

My comment on the team stands until I see a real YSU football team take the field. We lost to Butler. There is no justification, no excuse, never should have happened and there is nothing that Bo can ever do (including national titles) that can ever make up for it. SO how can I now expect any more over Valpo? If you say it is a learning curve; sorry that excuse ends opening day. This team has not proven to me that they can defeat anyone. So until they do ...  I have actively supported this team since 1978 (with my dad much before that even) and will do so for the rest of my life; but I call it as I see it.

BTW: Michigan's loss to Appy State was just as embarrassing and Carr knew his career ended when the clock hit zero. UM was not going to just fire their second-leading (modern era) coach. The entire country knew he had 11-more games left. You know what? As great of a coach as Carr was (far better than anyone UM has had since, including the clown they have now) ... to the college football fans, he will forever be nothing more than the coach that lost to D-II team. (D-II is intentional).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:46:49 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
The team (Valpo) was in the same conference as YSU for over 15-years (2 conferences) and you know Slippery Rock better? I guess you do not follow any other YSU sports? I would rather play Valpo and Butler, because these teams were in the HL when these games were scheduled.

My comment on the team stands until I see a real YSU football team take the field. We lost to Butler. There is no justification, no excuse, never should have happened and there is nothing that Bo can ever do (including national titles) that can ever make up for it. SO how can I now expect any more over Valpo? If you say it is a learning curve; sorry that excuse ends opening day. This team has not proven to me that they can defeat anyone. So until they do ...  I have actively supported this team since 1978 (with my dad much before that even) and will do so for the rest of my life; but I call it as I see it.

BTW: Michigan's loss to Appy State was just as embarrassing and Carr knew his career ended when the clock hit zero. UM was not going to just fire their second-leading (modern era) coach. The entire country knew he had 11-more games left. You know what? As great of a coach as Carr was (far better than anyone UM has had since, including the clown they have now) ... to the college football fans, he will forever be nothing more than the coach that lost to D-II team. (D-II is intentional).

Yeah... I guarantee you if Lloyd Carr goes on to beat Ohio state and wins a major bowl game that year his career wouldn’t have been over.

And how in god’s name does winning a title not make up for the Butler game??? The whole point of the season is to win a championship not avoid embarrassing losses. These pre conference games are the least important games of the season. The conference schedule is what truly matters.

Winning Fixes everything. An MVFC championship would  make up for the Butler loss in my book.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
Give me a national championship and Butler is completely erased from my mind lol.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »
No team that loses to a non-scholarship team or a lower level team win win the title.  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  We have no chance to win anything.  However, as I said earlier, we can get better but someone needs to teach the current secondary coach how to coach

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »

Yeah... I guarantee you if Lloyd Carr goes on to beat Ohio state and wins a major bowl game that year his career wouldn’t have been over.

And how in god’s name does winning a title not make up for the Butler game??? The whole point of the season is to win a championship not avoid embarrassing losses. These pre conference games are the least important games of the season. The conference schedule is what truly matters.

Winning Fixes everything. An MVFC championship would  make up for the Butler loss in my book.

Have to disagree on Carr. H was done that day. He still had a decent year, but he was retiring, resigning, or being dismissed at year end. 0-5 against Tressel did not help.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
No team that loses to a non-scholarship team or a lower level team win win the title.  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  We have no chance to win anything.  However, as I said earlier, we can get better but someone needs to teach the current secondary coach how to coach

Yes but that’s not the point.  IAA said nothing, including championships, can make up for the loss. If somehow despite the loss we win a title. I think it would make up for it.

Also San Diego, the pioneer league’s best team is non scholarship and won in the first round of the playoffs in 2016 and 2017... so non scholarship teams can sometimes be good enough to beat even playoff caliber scholarship programs. Sure, Butler is not San Diego, but we lost to another college football team... it happens
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:51:18 AM by Kandrase »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
Nothing can erase the stain on the reputation of YSU football that the loss to Butler has made.  That much is true.
But that does NOT mean the "season is over".  I watch MLB quite often and really enjoy the Tribe games, but even the best baseball teams lose 50-60 games a season.  You don't have to go 12-0 to enjoy the games.  We have many good young kids that will develop during the season.  Some will become good football players, most will become good teachers, engineers, etc. This is just a game. For me, it is the camaraderie of the tailgate parties, the great Youngstown weather (mostly true) and just the fun and excitement of the game.  Sure it's more fun to win, but it isn't the only thing. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player here and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:50:23 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »
First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player gear and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

Nice post. Very accurate.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player gear and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

Nice post. Very accurate.
Ditto to 1AA's comment.  hard to argue with any of YSUGO's post.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 03:45:47 AM »
Ed Muransky needs to stop talking about how great the OL is and other parts of the team.  Who the hell knows what game he is watching but he is so off base it is sickening.

We have no identity on offense.  We have no pass rush on defense and couldn't cover a Pop Warner kid in the secondary.  The OL is a sieve and gets no push.  What is the game plan on offense, are we a run-first team? It looks so random and uncoordinated.  D'Alisio has the secondary playing like he did when he was back there......couldn't cover a stationary wall with paint.  Carl Pelini's loss is evident.  It is obvious that things are being held together with duct tape and shoe strings. 

Very frustrating to watch.  I had to shut it off.  We are an embarrassment right now and the Dakota teams are licking their chops.  We won't be competitive. 

I found it interesting that in one of the press conferences it was mentioned that many kids were missing practice due to class scheduling.  Has anyone ever heard of this before? I can see that this could be a problem, but I would expect it to be the same for every team in college football.  It sounds like some excuse that would come out of the University of Michigan.  They are masters at giving excuses when they lose and hyping
their undeserved teams when they are average.  WTF

Meanwhile NDSU rolls in the Dakota Marker game and their highlights make College Football Final.  We make a Sports Illistrated exclusive article for the worst loss in college football history for the loss to non-scholarship Butler.  How would you like to have that lowlight in your resume? Michigan can't escape their loss to App State, but App State had a scholarship gap of 22.  Our gap with Butler was 63?   This is the comparison being made....that our loss was worse.  Something needs to change.

I wanted to believe the hype machine, but the eye test tells me we may win one more game if we are lucky.  The Dakota teams are going to embarrass us (as well as UNI). 

I say play the freshman and the young QB.  Get them ahead for next year.  Season is over.  Hire qualified coaches, and go recruit now.  We need a lot of help.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:04:17 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
The season was over before it started. The injuries decimated an already pretty below average defense. O-Coordinator is in over his head. It's a mess. Bo has his good ole boys coaching with him and guys with little to no experience like this is D5 high school football. Not good....

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
The season was over before it started. The injuries decimated an already pretty below average defense. O-Coordinator is in over his head. It's a mess. Bo has his good ole boys coaching with him and guys with little to no experience like this is D5 high school football. Not good....

I wonder what the University President thinks about all this? I would have loved to watch that game with him.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

I wonder what the University President thinks about all this? I would have loved to watch that game with him.
He probably would like to put on his vest and march down to the sideline.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »
First of all, I do not see JT losing too much sleep. He has "bigger fish to fry". It will be nice to go to a game, get out my program and take notes on the players and get some photos. Actually enjoy the game. Makes our recruiting time posts more meaningful.

If Muransky handed out props to the oline again ...he is certainly going to lose any credibility. I watched the game, so I got the WIU announcers. Folks WIU was not a good team, so we cold be in trouble. I tell you what though, I like this new head coach for the leathernecks, a couple of dirty players still hanging around. They are young and still played very tight, so may win more games than I think. Lack of depth will keep them out of the top-4.