Author Topic: Season is over  (Read 25571 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Season is over
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
I say play the younger kids and get the QB's ready for next year.  If you are going to keep your unqualified coaching staff and train them on the fans dime, go ahead and get it out of the way.  This game was an abortion.  I have never seen a team play that poorly in my lifetime and I have seen some bad games and bad teams.  We aren't going anywhere this year and we will finish near the bottom.  I did not expect this type of struggle with this team.  We were outcoached and outplayed.  We are inept.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Season is over
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
Did the coaches not tell the kids about the new rule with the pants. Kids want to wear shorts and play the game.
Concentrate on playing football.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
I say play the younger kids and get the QB's ready for next year.  If you are going to keep your unqualified coaching staff and train them on the fans dime, go ahead and get it out of the way.  This game was an abortion.  I have never seen a team play that poorly in my lifetime and I have seen some bad games and bad teams.  We aren't going anywhere this year and we will finish near the bottom.  I did not expect this type of struggle with this team.  We were outcoached and outplayed.  We are inept.

Lol it’s one game. An out of conference game at that. No, losing to a glorified D3 team doesnt bode well for the season but saying the season is over is an over reaction. Like every other year we won’t know what we’re made of until conference play. So there’s plenty of time to get this team playing like an actual D1 school.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »

Lol it’s one game. An out of conference game at that. No, losing to a glorified D3 team doesnt bode well for the season but saying the season is over is an over reaction. Like every other year we won’t know what we’re made of until conference play. So there’s plenty of time to get this team playing like an actual D1 school.

Kandrase while I agree with you to an extent, I will mention this. The coaches and players all said they thought they were ready and weren't. And pelini said the culture was closest it has been to what he wanted, and yet in the post disaster presser savon was saying that the team didn't take it serious and missed meetings this week ect that was poor prep. So if there can be such a disconnect between where we are and where pelini thought we are, along with the difference in discipline and culture, I think it's pretty clear we are in for a bad year. Hope I'm wrong but I see nothing to suggest otherwise.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

Kandrase while I agree with you to an extent, I will mention this. The coaches and players all said they thought they were ready and weren't. And pelini said the culture was closest it has been to what he wanted, and yet in the post disaster presser savon was saying that the team didn't take it serious and missed meetings this week ect that was poor prep. So if there can be such a disconnect between where we are and where pelini thought we are, along with the difference in discipline and culture, I think it's pretty clear we are in for a bad year. Hope I'm wrong but I see nothing to suggest otherwise.

Yes, i understand the sentiment and the loss is a massive embarrassment and certainly a possible indicator of a bad season... however, I’ve watched this sport long enough to know that one game is just one game. If we beat WVU by 3 tds next week I’ll say the same thing, it’s just one game. I just don’t think 4 quarters of football is enough evidence to declare 2018 a failure.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
Yesterday was easily my most unpleasant game day experience in over 45 years of watching YSU games and that includes the time I had my car broken into at Rayen Stadium.

Had to move to the West Side, chair back seats were nice except no room for the knees. Throw in a bunch of drinkers, smokers and unemployed coaches offering their advice. And oh yea the weather was a pain.

Now the game, players looked unprepared, uninspired and undisciplined.  No doubt that we were out coached big time. Bo has been here long enough, it is his team, his staff and his program. Maybe The Huskers knew something we are just figuring out.

Is the season over, of course not. Pretty sure we will start out 0-2 so the third game will tell me something. Let's see how the players and coaches react then we will know how the season will go.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:14:29 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
Some of you predicted 8 wins! Lol.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
Some of you predicted 8 wins! Lol.

When I am wrong I admit it, 8 wins is not going to happen.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
While trying to stay positive, I think back to 2012 when Wolf beat Pitt and UNI to start the season 4-0.  I was thinking at the time this team's headed for a deep playoff run, and then they lose the next 4 and don't even make the playoffs.  Maybe this year will be the opposite.  Start out looking terrible, then go 7-2 to finish the regular season. 

In regards to Butler, they were probably the weakest team YSU has lost to during my years of attending, but I feel the loss to 1-9 MSU in 2011 with the playoffs on the line was the worst loss.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
While it doesn't look good, it also isn't hopeless and the season is over when the whistle blows in the last game.  If we don't want are kids to grow up losers, and our team and university to be losers, then we shouldn't teach them to be losers.  Let's support the Quins against Valpo and get ready for the league.  As to playing young QB's, that is a delicate thing, as you can destroy a young QB's confidence when you are just trying to give him experience.  We'have all seen than happen, so mop up etc. is fine, but benching Monty for Craycraft in preparation for next year is, IMO, not a good idea.  The issue has been pass rush and coverage, not QB play anyway.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
After losing to Butler I have lost all enthusiasm.  Went to the WVU game last week, stayed the night and had a great time.  But I have no interest in Valpo and will not go to the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
After losing to Butler I have lost all enthusiasm.  Went to the WVU game last week, stayed the night and had a great time.  But I have no interest in Valpo and will not go to the game.
In all honesty, I have no interest in Valpo but am going to support the program and the kids.  That Butler fiasco really disappointed me, but would have been much worse for the players.  I've supported some bad teams over the years, this one has had a huge disappointing loss, no doubt, but WVU has a very good team and that loss concerns me much less.  Farrar and VanGoder along with McCaster and Turner give me reason to be optimistic on the offensive side.  Still need a pass rush on the D side.  Me? I'm moving somebody like Richmond to LB and blitz coming off the bus.  WVU receivers are NFL good, but our DB's can't hold up if no pressure.  Whatever it takes to get pressure on the QB. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
How can you even conceivably say that you have no interest in Valpo, against a team that lost to Butler? If you are looking for a competitive game, this seems to be it. Furthermore, if things do not improve, this will the the only game we can win this season and that is far from certain. From a location perspective; do you have any more interest in a team from the Dakota's? I certainly do not.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
Well normally I would be more interested in playing a team from the Dakotas... But not this year because I am not sure we will be very competitive in such a game.

As to the other comment, while I understand what you're trying to do IAA (get people to not give up on the team), I can't help but say I think it is a very big problem if a game against valpo is being called a competitive game for the team.

Not saying not to respect everyone we play but if this game is competitive rather than showing an improvement and being a blowout, you can kiss the fan base goodbye this season.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
How can you even conceivably say that you have no interest in Valpo, against a team that lost to Butler? If you are looking for a competitive game, this seems to be it. Furthermore, if things do not improve, this will the the only game we can win this season and that is far from certain. From a location perspective; do you have any more interest in a team from the Dakota's? I certainly do not.
Boy, we go from 6 to 8 wins and in the last 7 minutes of the Butler game we go to "maybe 1 win". 
A lot of black and white in a world that is actually pretty gray!
Number 5 Michigan lost to App. State which was the college "upset of the century" and they still one 8 regular season games and beat Florida in a bowl game.
I have no interest in Valpo because I don't know them at all and don't care to learn and we are going to spank them soundly.  I'd rather play Slippery Rock. I know where they are at least.