Author Topic: First Home game against Butler High school and nobody cares!  (Read 34303 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: First Home game against Butler High school and nobody cares!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
Have the AD get a better game.... Snooze fest.

They should schedule Mount Union instead of these non scholarship d1s like butler. Similar... likely better level of competition and they are just down the road so more of a local game.

Oh come on. Butler would smack Mount Union around. Same crap every year. Our schedules have been excellent for years now. This year we have the second-best (preseason) team in the Big-12, and 6 top-25 teams from our own level. What more do you want and still make the post-season?

You know Butler is non scholarship rignt? No reason to think they are any better than a good d3 team. I’d honestly rather have us play a d2 school then these pioneer league d1 in name only teams.

I think our SOS is fine, just hate these games because they are boring. I know why we do it, but I don’t have to like it. Again, schedule Ashland or Walsh, at least they are bringing some scholarship level talent.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »

My team will be playing, why would I snooze?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
I'm sure nebraska fans are saying something similar about Akron. go support your team  sometimes a couple of cupcakes give time to work on some critical issues

Spot on

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »

They should schedule Mount Union instead of these non scholarship d1s like butler. Similar... likely better level of competition and they are just down the road so more of a local game.

Oh come on. Butler would smack Mount Union around. Same crap every year. Our schedules have been excellent for years now. This year we have the second-best (preseason) team in the Big-12, and 6 top-25 teams from our own level. What more do you want and still make the post-season?

I agree, same crap year after year. You have explained this time and time again. If you are a YSU fan you will be at every game no matter who they play, plain and simple.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
It is still a garbage game.  NDSU opens with CalPoly I think.  We should be playing full fcs scholarship teams.  I will never agree with the pussified scheduling.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
Some of the best D2 teams in the country or in Western PA.  Cal U, IUP, and SRU are all better options than Butler IMO.  IUP has some real talent and as many D1 transfers as most FCS schools.  IUP would give us a better game than Butler or Duquesne.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »

Game will over by half. Snooooooooze.

When's the last time a real FCS opponent not in the MVFC came to Stambaugh ?

Mr. Strollo too worried about filling up the loges and trying to make money than giving a crap about the regular fan who wants to see a good football game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »
For those of you who are relatively new here, understand that Ron Strollo is an accountant by training and by inclination.  His business plan for the OOC schedule is to maximize the yield from the P5 game while paying out as little as possible for the two FCS home games.  That means games against phony FCS teams from the Pioneer Conference and semi-phony FCS teams from the NEC.  I hate this.  Most of you hate this.  But it will not change.

Why not schedule D2 teams?  We can't, thanks to the bizarre world of the NCAA.  It would be suicide since the NCAA refuses to count, for playoff selection purposes, any wins against D2 opponents, no matter how worthy.  Instead, the NCAA grants the Pioneer League an automatic berth in the playoffs and fantasizes that wins against that conference count toward your playoff resume.  You can't blame Strollo for this one.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »

Game will over by half. Snooooooooze.

When's the last time a real FCS opponent not in the MVFC came to Stambaugh ?

Mr. Strollo too worried about filling up the loges and trying to make money than giving a crap about the regular fan who wants to see a good football game.

Wofford, playoffs 2016. Although, I recognize in the spirit of your comment you were referring to planned before the beginning of the year rather than due to playoffs.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
For those of you who are relatively new here, understand that Ron Strollo is an accountant by training and by inclination.  His business plan for the OOC schedule is to maximize the yield from the P5 game while paying out as little as possible for the two FCS home games.  That means games against phony FCS teams from the Pioneer Conference and semi-phony FCS teams from the NEC.  I hate this.  Most of you hate this.  But it will not change.

Why not schedule D2 teams?  We can't, thanks to the bizarre world of the NCAA.  It would be suicide since the NCAA refuses to count, for playoff selection purposes, any wins against D2 opponents, no matter how worthy.  Instead, the NCAA grants the Pioneer League an automatic berth in the playoffs and fantasizes that wins against that conference count toward your playoff resume.  You can't blame Strollo for this one.

Might as well save this post and just repost it every August Wick  8)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »

Thank you for this explanation. I didn’t realize the ncaa implications.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »

Dead wrong. Why can't we schedule another top FCS program ? Home and home ? Instead we schedule 2 weenie games to fill the loges and get the money. They don't care about butts in the seat.

Okay so name a single FCA team that will increase the draw (over a Butler-type team) by more that a dozen "butts"? We are in the MVFC, not the Big-10 ... There isn't one. So why in the heck are you going to schedule a potential loss for no reason? Most People in Ytown do not even know where North Dakota is on the map and even fewer care. Most only know JMU as a basketball school. They all know Butler as an MBB power in the Big East.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:22:42 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
Scheduling is about building relationships.  This AD has awesome relationships with bottom feeder no scholly programs.  We can’t schedule  an out of conference scholly team that is lower level.  Scheduling cupcakes hasn’t been the winning playoff formula dont u agree.  Again we have struggled in this conference to be a top 3 team.  Time to rethink that or we are just another lower tier team like Indiana St.  remember we have only made the playoffs since Tressel 2 times. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
yes and Tressel scheduled more "cupcakes" than any AD/scheduler we ever had. We are looking for home game revenue dollar$ and nothing is more important. The only way that we would see more $$ over a home cupcake opponent (as we pay them less) is another money-game. Then we would be scheduling 2-losses every year and likely scheduling ourselves out of the play-off every year. Taking into account all of the important factors ...ticket sales, ad sales, tailgate revenue, concession revenue, lower expense payed out to the opponent ... There is no better way then what we do now ...nothing other than the continuous MAC conversation..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:37:14 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »
Hey there will be 19,000 people there.  Oh wait that was for a concert. Too bad they cannot count that toward the yearly attendance.