Author Topic: First Home game against Butler High school and nobody cares!  (Read 34152 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
First Home game against Butler High school and nobody cares!
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
Interest in This game is non existent!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: First Home game against Butler High school and nobody cares!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Have the AD get a better game.... Snooze fest.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Depth chart is out.

Becker, Sharp, Vitas, Wiggins, Baldwin on the O-Line.

Louigene, Smith, Thompson, Bynum on the D-Line.

Bo had high praise for Bryant starting at safety in his press conference.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »

They should schedule Mount Union instead of these non scholarship d1s like butler. Similar... likely better level of competition and they are just down the road so more of a local game.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:02:15 PM »
Would get a bigger crowd if they scheduled Mooney or Ursuline.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
I'm sure nebraska fans are saying something similar about Akron. go support your team  sometimes a couple of cupcakes give time to work on some critical issues

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:37:44 PM »
I'll be there for sure. One thing I got really excited to hear in the press conference is the new offensive schemes under the new OC. We are going to run a multiple set from what was described. Very intrigued to see how that goes.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 05:59:32 AM »
I'll be there for sure. One thing I got really excited to hear in the press conference is the new offensive schemes under the new OC. We are going to run a multiple set from what was described. Very intrigued to see how that goes.

From Warren Tribune

New-look YSU starts Saturday

YSU SPORTS
AUG 29, 2018

JOE SIMON
Sports Reporter
jsimon@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — When it comes to college football, major roster overhauls are rather normal on a year-to-year basis.

Students graduate or run out of eligibility, and incoming or redshirt freshmen step in along with players most people have never heard of because they were on the scout team. New leaders form and different players make names for themselves.

At Youngstown State, the roster is only part of the sweeping changes.

The Penguins, who open the season at 2 p.m. Saturday at Stambaugh Stadium against Butler, also are replacing their offensive and defensive coordinators. They shuffled numerous other assistant coaches around to different roles to compensate for the losses.

None of this is fazing head coach Bo Pelini. He is as confident as he has ever been as he enters his fourth season at YSU.

“We’re ready,” said Pelini, who later detailed how the changes have mended this team. “I like our staff a lot. It’s a young staff, but they have energy. They’re smart guys. They’re really good workers, and they communicate with players well.

“There’s a good relationship between the players and coaches in this program. It’s not like the coaches are up here and the players are down here. It’s a pretty laid-back atmosphere. It’s an atmosphere that I would hope our players feel good about walking in the door everyday. We have fun, but when it’s time to work, we work.”

One of the most notable changes on the field is at quarterback, where Notre Dame transfer Montgomery VanGorder is taking over for three-year starter Hunter Wells, who graduated. VanGorder battled with junior Nathan Mays during camp before Mays suffered an injury that has kept him out for the last two-plus weeks. Mays is out for this week’s game.

VanGorder, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound graduate transfer, never played any significant minutes under center with the Fighting Irish. In fact, Saturday will be his first start since high school.

“Well, I got a couple snaps last year in (South Bend), toward the end of some games, but nothing really meaningful,” VanGorder said. “The key word I’d use for myself is excited. When you get into the game, you can’t really replicate that in practice, how you handle certain situations, how your guys respond to you in the huddle. That kind of thing. We have a pretty good feel for where we are and how we’re going to come out and play.”

VanGorder leads an offense that looks a little different than years past.

Offensive coordinator Brian Crist takes over for Shane Montgomery, who left for the same position at UNC-Charlotte after last season.

Pelini said there won’t be major alterations to the scheme, which was centered around a power running game during Montgomery’s tenure, but tweaks have certainly occurred.

Pelini and VanGorder hinted that a more balanced attack with a variety of formations could be on the horizon.

“We’re very multiple in what we’re doing,” Pelini said. “We have depth. We have weapons at every position. I feel really good with where we are. Montgomery has been with us since the spring, and he’s had an excellent camp. … What I’m looking for is a high level of execution, and we’ve been doing that through camp.”

Despite the jettison of Carl Pelini, Bo’s younger brother, the elder Pelini said not much is different with the defense.

That’s in large part because Bo was one of the architects of the schemes. A longtime defensive coach, Pelini has pieced together one of the nation’s most consistent and successful defenses.

“Even though we’ve lost some coordinators,” Pelini said, “obviously with me being a defensive guy and having hands on the defense, it’s been a seemingly easy transition.”

Overall, the changes and different roles haven’t affected the Penguins. In fact, Pelini said the chemistry of both the coaching staff and the team is as good it has ever been during his tenure.

“That’s a good thing,” he said. “You never get to exactly where you want to be, culture wise, as a head football coach, but we’re pretty close. We’re a lot closer than we have been.”

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »

They should schedule Mount Union instead of these non scholarship d1s like butler. Similar... likely better level of competition and they are just down the road so more of a local game.

Oh come on. Butler would smack Mount Union around. Same crap every year. Our schedules have been excellent for years now. This year we have the second-best (preseason) team in the Big-12, and 6 top-25 teams from our own level. What more do you want and still make the post-season?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
Relax IAA Fan.  I am not going to attack Montgomery!  But he and Bo had a forced partnership that made neither individual particularly happy.  Now Bo has his own man as OC, a guy he brought with him from Nebraska.  Bo now "owns" the offense as he should.

Much of the preseason on this board has focused on the injuries (of course) and on the suspect play of the offensive line.  On Bo's radio show on Monday, Ed Muransky was gushing in his praise of that unit.  Was that just hype from the new radio analyst or an objective opinion from a former NFL lineman?  I guess we will find out by the middle of conference play.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
There is no need to schedule 2 non scholarship or low level scholarship teams.  It helps nobody.  We have done little to figure out how to win in a conference we should not be in.  What is it 3 playoff appearances in 28 years. Anyways if we can’t keep the QB upright and healthy it will be another wasted year.  I hope it isn’t.   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
There is no need to schedule 2 non scholarship or low level scholarship teams.  It helps nobody.  We have done little to figure out how to win in a conference we should not be in.  What is it 3 playoff appearances in 28 years. Anyways if we can’t keep the QB upright and healthy it will be another wasted year.  I hope it isn’t.

I agree. We don't seem to benefit from the 2 weenie bowls when it comes to conference play. The only positive to me is they count as a D1 win. These are very positive for Strollo. He sells loge tickets for those, same as if we played anyone else, so why not go cheap and easy with a team that won't require a home and home? This is what's best for business.

Fan interest simply doesn't enter into the equation.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »

Oh come on. Butler would smack Mount Union around. Same crap every year. Our schedules have been excellent for years now. This year we have the second-best (preseason) team in the Big-12, and 6 top-25 teams from our own level. What more do you want and still make the post-season?

Dead wrong. Why can't we schedule another top FCS program ? Home and home ? Instead we schedule 2 weenie games to fill the loges and get the money. They don't care about butts in the seat.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
While everyone is talking about loges, did anyone else pick up on what pelini said about the loges? Listen to right at 12:25 in. He talks about how "It is going to be hard to get the program to where we want it to be without getting consistent support from the community and start getting the stands filled up. Its harder to recruit." and then... "We have had good support. We get great support from a solid base."

"Another thing that I have talked about, is we have those great loges up there, and I know people enjoy their loges and they pay money to be in those loges, but I would love to have those people come out of their loges where we feel their presence. Come out of those loges so we can hear them and they are out in the stands. And you can go back and forth. You know our players bust their butts year round. Its not about me or the coaches, its never been its about the kids. Year round when you put the effort that they do for the university and the community they deserve the support."

Starts talking about how he would line our team out against any D1 school in the country. Anybody. People talk about BCS but we play a high level of football. I don't care who they are, I will line us up and we will play.

All that ends around 15:15. So its like 3 minutes but very interesting to hear his response.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:14:35 PM by The YO Show »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
While everyone is talking about loges, did anyone else pick up on what pelini said about the loges? Listen to right at 12:25 in. He talks about how "It is going to be hard to get the program to where we want it to be without getting consistent support from the community and start getting the stands filled up. Its harder to recruit." and then... "We have had good support. We get great support from a solid base."

"Another thing that I have talked about, is we have those great loges up there, and I know people enjoy their loges and they pay money to be in those loges, but I would love to have those people come out of their loges where we feel their presence. Come out of those loges so we can hear them and they are out in the stands. And you can go back and forth. You know our players bust their butts year round. Its not about me or the coaches, its never been its about the kids. Year round when you put the effort that they do for the university and the community they deserve the support."

Starts talking about how he would line our team out against any D1 school in the country. Anybody. People talk about BCS but we play a high level of football. I don't care who they are, I will line us up and we will play.

All that ends around 15:15. So its like 3 minutes but very interesting to hear his response.

Yeah I liked his response about lining up against anyone in the country. I wish he would have cited taking Pitt to overtime last year and being tied with WVU at halftime two years ago, clearly we can compete with fbs teams.