Author Topic: Farrell grad climbing depth chart  (Read 6226 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Farrell grad climbing depth chart
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
By Brian Dzenis vindy.com

Braxton Chapman feels like himself again and Youngstown State stands to reap the benefits.
The redshirt freshman running back has spent this fall in a crowded backfield and has quickly found himself climbing the depth chart, sitting just below senior Tevin McCaster and sophomore Christian Turner.

It’s a far cry from last fall. Chapman couldn’t get on the field in 2017 because he was recovering from a torn ACL. He tore it during a playoff game during his senior season at Farrell in 2016. It was an anti-climatic end for the Steelers’ all-time leading rusher at 3,067 yards. His first time back on the field was during spring practice.

“It’s very humbling. I mean it took a lot out of me mentally, but it’s made me a better person today,” Chapman said. “I believe God makes no mistakes. It was something I had to go through and I learned a lot from that experience.”
In Saturday’s scrimmage, Chapman saw the bulk of the carries, running eight times for 115 yards while showing no ill effects from his injury. He broke off a 75-yard touchdown run down the left sideline.
“You saw Braxton have a really good day today,” head coach Bo Pelini said.

No matter how many carries Chapman receives this fall, he’ll be grateful just to be on the field.

“It gave me a new perspective on everything. You can be playing the game one day and it can be taken away the next,” Chapman said. “There were times where I didn’t know if I could even get back to this level. I just thank God, man.”

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell grad climbing depth chart
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
My choice for #1 by mid-season.  Real size and power.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »

He's not taking over McCaster and his catching ability isn't as great as Turner. Next year will be his year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »

He's not taking over McCaster and his catching ability isn't as great as Turner. Next year will be his year.
No doubt that Turner is the "3rd down" back to catch balls, but McCaster is smaller and far less powerful than Chapman.  We'll see, but I see OL needing a more powerful back.  We'll see.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
Put him in as full back along with either McCaster or Turner to give a 2 back look.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Put him in as full back along with either McCaster or Turner to give a 2 back look.
maybe on 3rd and 1, but we live in a "spread" world.  that look is gone the way of the wing-T, Single wing, and Wishbone. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
maybe on 3rd and 1, but we live in a "spread" world.  that look is gone the way of the wing-T, Single wing, and Wishbone.

Still remember watching my 1st YU football game in my freshman year in 1966. That darn side saddle T...

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »

Still remember watching my 1st YU football game in my freshman year in 1966. That darn side saddle T...
Dike was still using that when I was a freshman in 1967.  Never saw anybody else before or since snap the ball that way!  BTW,  as noted, you started at YU, but I started at YSU.  My first quarter (you started on semesters) it became YSU.  Still had the old army barracks West Hall, the old Rayen High School, Never forget a calculus class in the basement of that old Clinglian Waddle Hall.  The PITS.  What's the line, "we've come a long way baby!"

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »

Dike was still using that when I was a freshman in 1967.  Never saw anybody else before or since snap the ball that way!  BTW,  as noted, you started at YU, but I started at YSU.  My first quarter (you started on semesters) it became YSU.  Still had the old army barracks West Hall, the old Rayen High School, Never forget a calculus class in the basement of that old Clinglian Waddle Hall.  The PITS.  What's the line, "we've come a long way baby!"

Yip. I had several classes in the basement of cling-waddle hall. What a dive! Could you imagine touring our perspective students through that place on the campus visit?
I got lucky. The second year I started in the brand new engineering building.
I still remember when the Jaw was a freshman and Dike put him in as a half back. The entire coaching staff of the oppositions team screamed "option pass".

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »

[/quote]

Yip. I had several classes in the basement of cling-waddle hall. What a dive! Could you imagine touring our perspective students through that place on the campus visit?
I got lucky. The second year I started in the brand new engineering building.
I still remember when the Jaw was a freshman and Dike put him in as a half back. The entire coaching staff of the oppositions team screamed "option pass".
[/quote]
Had an English class with Willy Teague.  Really nice guy, maybe not the sharpest tack in the cushion, but a genuinely nice person.  Willy and John McElroy at old Struthers Field House, good basketball, but what a dump.
We had Dike Beede in football and Dom Rosselli in men's BB, the 2 shortest coaches in coaching! I remember Dom looking up at Will and yelling at him, and me thinking, if Teague ever had enough he could squash Rosselli like a bug!