Author Topic: Football Season 2018  (Read 7633 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Football Season 2018
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
And a bomb shell already... Balash tweeted out that Justus Reed ruptured his achilles in summer workouts. Gone for the year.... There goes our pash rush, yikes. Terrible news!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Season 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »
And a bomb shell already... Balash tweeted out that Justus Reed ruptured his achilles in summer workouts. Gone for the year.... There goes our pash rush, yikes. Terrible news!

Wow, thats a huge loss. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »
Huge indeed. Had zero pass rush without him last year. Some of the young kids need to step up big time now.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
To hell with the pass rush, this is terrible news for Justus Reed.  Yes, he will be a HUGE loss, but we have some young kids coming up that will be needed a year early.  But I feel bad for the kid. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
To hell with the pass rush, this is terrible news for Justus Reed.  Yes, he will be a HUGE loss, but we have some young kids coming up that will be needed a year early.  But I feel bad for the kid.

Especially because he is a senior. Wonder if he would be able to receive a medical waiver since he will be gone the whole year with the injury.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »

Especially because he is a senior. Wonder if he would be able to receive a medical waiver since he will be gone the whole year with the injury.
probably, but no NFL future so question for him, if i stay will i get a degree?  I have no clue where he is academically, but transfers usually don't help either.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
Somebody better separate themselves between Cook, Jackson, Bynum and Richmond.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
Not sure exactly what you mean.  You need a rotation and Johnson, along with these guys gives you some depth.
I'm OK with some depth.  If you had limited playing time at DE, I'd think about Richmond to LB where he was a best in HS.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
Not sure exactly what you mean.  You need a rotation and Johnson, along with these guys gives you some depth.
I'm OK with some depth.  If you had limited playing time at DE, I'd think about Richmond to LB where he was a best in HS.

Depth is useless if they can't pressure the QB. It was Reed or bust last year getting after the QB. Non existent without him.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:42:04 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
Depth is useless if they can't pressure the QB. It was Reed or bust last year getting after the QB. Non existent without him.
Yes, but we said the same thing the year before when we lost Rivers and Moss!  Guys can step up. Cook* was our highest rated recruit in long time and we haven't seen what he can do yet.  Besides, that is why I'm advocating moving Richmond to LB, and send him as an "edge rusher," to get added pressure on the QB.
*VanGorde, Hawkins and Reed where all more highly rated than Cook, coming out, but weren't our signings.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 05:51:12 PM »
Yes, but we said the same thing the year before when we lost Rivers and Moss!  Guys can step up. Cook* was our highest rated recruit in long time and we haven't seen what he can do yet.  Besides, that is why I'm advocating moving Richmond to LB, and send him as an "edge rusher," to get added pressure on the QB.
*VanGorde, Hawkins and Reed where all more highly rated than Cook, coming out, but weren't our signings.

Yes, and there was zero pass rush last year without Reed. Hence part of the reason why no playoffs...

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:56:53 AM »

Yes, and there was zero pass rush last year without Reed. Hence part of the reason why no playoffs...
The fact that we have now lost our two top sack men from last season (Chapman to grad) doesn't change my comment about needing depth at DE.  College is all about finding the next guy to replace last season's leaders.  I am NOT minimizing Reed's loss, but simply noting that one guy will not be the answer.