Author Topic: Lack of Early Football Excitement  (Read 26237 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Early Football Excitement
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
Yes I agree I am the exception with the drive for home games, but I am also closer to Miami and OU than the average Penguin fan. As far as these games being a big event... It could not possibly be any bigger than a good fall Saturday game at YSU. The missing component there there is to continue winning games. Factor in that most YSU fans would rather watch the game than freeze.

The better option is to try and schedule MAC games again (staying I-AA). The next thing is to see if Strollo is willing to go to 2 IA games, the second one being a MAC school which will not pay more than any I-AA team. Then petition the MAC to allow certain MAC schools to travel to YSU. I would be willing to bet that the MAC would would give consideration to in-state I-AA opposition. However, most MAC schools have no issue finding an extra power conference game, so there may be no interest from the schools.
A MAC school has NOTHING to gain from playing YSU.  If they win, "they should have won, they are 1A vs 1AA" and if they lose, "how could you lose to a 1AA school?"  No, we'll have to wait a few more years for 1A football expenses to crush a couple schools and then have a rational discussion.  Best thing for the MAC was a new level for the "power 5" conferences.  That would allow lower expenses: if the presidents had any sense (which they don't seem to have now)
BTW, I saw somewhere where some of the MAC schools payed pretty good for 1AA opponents.  Not true?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
I wonder if Pelini will stay or go.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
I wonder if Pelini will stay or go.
He leaves after this season or next, one or the other.  He definitely needs another playoff year to get his name out in the media, but I expect one.   Even then, he can find 50 jobs paying a million more than YSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
Yes I agree I am the exception with the drive for home games, but I am also closer to Miami and OU than the average Penguin fan. As far as these games being a big event... It could not possibly be any bigger than a good fall Saturday game at YSU. The missing component there there is to continue winning games. Factor in that most YSU fans would rather watch the game than freeze.

The better option is to try and schedule MAC games again (staying I-AA). The next thing is to see if Strollo is willing to go to 2 IA games, the second one being a MAC school which will not pay more than any I-AA team. Then petition the MAC to allow certain MAC schools to travel to YSU. I would be willing to bet that the MAC would would give consideration to in-state I-AA opposition. However, most MAC schools have no issue finding an extra power conference game, so there may be no interest from the schools.
A MAC school has NOTHING to gain from playing YSU.  If they win, "they should have won, they are 1A vs 1AA" and if they lose, "how could you lose to a 1AA school?"  No, we'll have to wait a few more years for 1A football expenses to crush a couple schools and then have a rational discussion.  Best thing for the MAC was a new level for the "power 5" conferences.  That would allow lower expenses: if the presidents had any sense (which they don't seem to have now)
BTW, I saw somewhere where some of the MAC schools payed pretty good for 1AA opponents.  Not true?

Are you saying to split the current FBS into 2 (making a 3rd level of DI) or are you saying to bring them into I-AA/FCS? If we split into 3 levels, YSU will have just as much trouble getting into the second level as they currently do getting into the first. Price will go up. Yes the MAC will pay for a one-and-done. However, if Ron Strollo wants to see hard core fans leave in droves, agree to a MAC school (accept maybe UT or NIU) with no return. I will not renew and I have not missed a home game (with the exception of my wedding and the birth of my grandson) since 1979. We were just talking last night. We have had the same seats since the stadium opened. The faculty were offered lifetime seats for $750 each or 2 for $1k (you still need to pay for the season) in order to help fund stadium construction. My father bought them and we have renewed every year.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:45:22 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

Are you saying to split the current FBS into 2 (making a 3rd level of DI) or are you saying to bring them into I-AA/FCS? If we split into 3 levels, YSU will have just as much trouble getting into the second level as they currently do getting into the first. Price will go up. Yes the MAC will pay for a one-and-done. However, if Ron Strollo wants to see hard core fans leave in droves, agree to a MAC school (accept maybe UT or NIU) with no return. I will not renew and I have not missed a home game (with the exception of my wedding and the birth of my grandson) since 1979. We were just talking last night. We have had the same seats since the stadium opened. The faculty were offered lifetime seats for $750 each or 2 for $1k (you still need to pay for the season) in order to help fund stadium construction. My father bought them and we have renewed every year.
You should be proud of your consistent support for YSU, I admire your commitment!  I have been attending regularly since 1967, but not nearly as consistently as you.  In fact, have whole seasons "off" with work, kids etc.
Yes, I am saying split what is now officially FBS into two.  The powder 5 conferences, and everyone else currently in FBS.  IE. the MAC the Mountain West etc.  That would allow the remaining FBS teams to lower expenses because they are not pretending to play on the level of the Power 5.  And I YSU definitely do NOT want to move up to that either.  We are barely able to maintain where we are now.   

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
espn3 hurts our attendance especially for out of towners.  I would rather watch the game on the computer rather than drive 3 hours round trip. 

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
go guins stated:
"Yes, I am saying split what is now officially FBS into two.  The powder 5 conferences, and everyone else currently in FBS.  IE. the MAC the Mountain West etc.  That would allow the remaining FBS teams to lower expenses because they are not pretending to play on the level of the Power 5.  And I YSU definitely do NOT want to move up to that either.  We are barely able to maintain where we are now.   

Two comments:  1st, the Mountain West and American Athletic Conferences are far more aligned with the so-called Power 5 than the weaker FBS conferences (MAC, Sunbelt).  There is no comparison.  Boise State, U. of Houston and Cincinnati (for example) consider themselves big time and do not relate to the MAC/Sunbelt, etc.).

Secondly, your solution basically already exists - it's called 1AA...now you want to have 3 divisions, which I do not think makes any sense.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »
go guins stated:
"Yes, I am saying split what is now officially FBS into two.  The powder 5 conferences, and everyone else currently in FBS.  IE. the MAC the Mountain West etc.  That would allow the remaining FBS teams to lower expenses because they are not pretending to play on the level of the Power 5.  And I YSU definitely do NOT want to move up to that either.  We are barely able to maintain where we are now.   

Two comments:  1st, the Mountain West and American Athletic Conferences are far more aligned with the so-called Power 5 than the weaker FBS conferences (MAC, Sunbelt).  There is no comparison.  Boise State, U. of Houston and Cincinnati (for example) consider themselves big time and do not relate to the MAC/Sunbelt, etc.).

Secondly, your solution basically already exists - it's called 1AA...now you want to have 3 divisions, which I do not think makes any sense.   

FCS ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
While I appreciate Penguin Nick's efforts to start any discussion, even if it is the old, time-worn YSU to MAC that we have been over a dozen times in the last few years, THIS IS BS AND WE ALL KNOW IT!!
WHEN DOES FALL CAMP START???

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »
Has to be soon considering the season is 43 days away! (or really 42 days and like 1.5 hours haha)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Also, hoping someone on here can get to fall camp and we can see where the team is at. Not to sure what to expect this year. New coordinators, new QB, replacing lost starters. Could be an undefeated team or a 6-5 team. Just don't have any clue right now since there was no spring game (although even that is hard to gauge from mind you). Hoping fall camp starts to shed some light.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »
I have heard that the players report August 2.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
once the players report excitement will build. ;)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
with 1st game on September 1 ...August 2 will be the first eligible day.