Author Topic: Baseball Tourney  (Read 5918 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Baseball Tourney
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
Guins have a nice win over Oakland, but fall to Wright State today. Will have play 2 games today. We play the winner of the Milwaukee vs. second-seeded UIC.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball Tourney
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:02 PM »
I think you mean the looser of the game.

What happened to our two top pitchers from earlier in the season?  Colin Floyd and Greg Dunham.  They are none existent as of late.  No info in the newspapers as far as I see.  No release from Athletics.  Any idea? Are they hurt?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »
Yes, I meant the loser. It was Milwaukee and they defeated us 3-1 to eliminate us from the tourney. Floyd and Dunham have both been playing, Dunham came in both games yesterday, as did Floyd. Floyd averaged almost 12 strikeouts per game this year according to the logs.  http://www.ysusports.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/teams/youngstownst?view=profile&r=0&pos=

MLB programs have between 40 and 60 pitchers Some will try up to 100 in a season at the various levels. So the best pitching prospects are recruited very young (pre-college). With the influx of foreign pitchers, this has changed the game quite a bit and many colleges are now able to recruit good pitchers out of HS, but their are not enough to go around. The divisions do not mean as much at the college level, as it may in other sports. It may not be as cut-and-dry as an individual sport such as golf ... but a good pitcher in D-III has a good chance of being a good pitcher at any level.

The college game is so different than any other level. These guys have MLB power, with metal bats; Any contact with the bat and the ball goes for what seems to be miles. It really is a hitter's game. In 56 games this year, we had only 44 home runs and a batting average of only .246. While that may win games in the pros, it will not win games in college ball. That being said, we need to give this staff a couple more years to be fair. I would not mind seeing coach Antush involved with the program again.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:03:30 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »
I would like to go into more detail on the bats, as I know may people do not agree with metal having more power. Yes, if you used a machine to hit the ball, a wooden bat may actually carry the ball a bit further after a big contact. However, humans do not hit with that kind of maximum consistency and most players are not big hitters; so the speed with which the ball comes off the metal makes seemingly minor contact, quite major. Contact that might not normally carry out of the infield ...does so far more often (to the delight of friends and families of youth players everywhere). Hits that would be simple outfield catches with wooden bats, now go over the fence much more often.

Then there is the money. College coaches in the Southwest and South all can easily make 10's of thousands of dollars from Louisville Slugger and Easton (the two primary bat manufacturers). As can many coaches in the rest of the nation with CWS history. In short, Kids hit metal because parents like to see the action and Louisville Slugger wants parents to grab their bats off store shelves.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:42:00 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
I think 1AA has the facts incorrect.  Looked again at the box scores from the tournament this week and neither Floyd or Dunham pitched.  And as I recall they have not pitched for weeks.

As for the bats, they were scaled back a few years ago so that the current aluminum bats that are legal are near the performance of wooden bats.  A few years ago that was not the case, but a change was made.  Both the bats and ball have to meet a coefficient of restitution standard to be legal.  Coefficient of restitution is a measure of energy storage capability.  For example is you drop a golf ball from the height of your eyes, it will bounce back to a height of less than the drop height. If it came back to the same height it would have a coefficient of restitution of 1 and if it stuck to the floor it would be 0.  All the bats need to meet a standard of coefficient of restitution that is set by the NCAA.  Previous bats were getting so good that it was putting pitchers in danger hence the change.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Irrelevant program until there's a baseball stadium on campus.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
68, you are correct. They must still have some of last year's stats up in spots or something. But the game logs and season logs show exactly what you said.
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/bios/dunham_greg_r24p?view=gamelog&pos=p

Good info on the bats Penquin68, I would like to read up on these changes. I was reading that the number of home-runs in college ball has increased quite a bit since they moved to the MLB-style ball back in 2015. I know that many pitchers do not like the flattened seams, as they do not get as much play and argue that this is the primary reason for the increase in home-runs. the manufacturers and league says it is the decrease in drag. I bet there is truth to both of these.

I am not sure I agree with you Chief. Our facility is impressive and the conference used to showcase it. In fact I would not mind a more close association with the Tribe, as long as it is legal. In favor of an on-campus stadium ...With both the regional and supers on-campus of participants, there is no reason to have that large of a stadium. It is never full. I do like the way an on-campus stadium will impact the landscape of the university.

We talk about the MAC a great deal, but we would have to bring our level of play up quite a bit to compete in baseball.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:48:21 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Since I was a student at YSU back in the day, I always wanted an on campus baseball facility.  In fact it was in a YSU master plan back in the 70's as I recall.  However not sure it is feasible today.  The new scoreboard and upgraded internet access at Eastwood this coming year will give YSU a really top notch facility we could never afford on campus. I don't like the distance to Eastwood for games, but with money tight, I can't see us building an on campus facility.  The new on campus facilities on entirely turf including batters box and base paths so one can play in the early spring.  Expensive I think.  And I don't think there would be much use of the facility other than YSU due to high rental costs. So as much as I like the idea, it is too costly to work.   Just like us getting in the MAC, just to expensive for YSU and Youngstown today. 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »
Drop baseball for a wrestling program !

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Wrestling is fine for sure, but not nearly as popular locally as baseball.  I wish we could have all sports, but financially and Title 9, not possible.  I fear baseball could be dropped due it being a men's sport with 35 players. Much easier for YSU to field a men's soccer team with facilities right on campus etc. and cheaper to fund.  And with Cleveland State and Akron dropping baseball, it is easy to see it is vulnerable. Hope baseball can stay for me personally. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
This would all change if they had 2 different divisions for Div 1 non revenue sports.  The economics of it is a no brainer.  Plus, it would give the kids a chance at something attainable. I don’t want to hear I want to beat the best BS.  If it’s good enough for HS sports it good enough for college.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
Wrestling is fine for sure, but not nearly as popular locally as baseball.  I wish we could have all sports, but financially and Title 9, not possible.  I fear baseball could be dropped due it being a men's sport with 35 players. Much easier for YSU to field a men's soccer team with facilities right on campus etc. and cheaper to fund.  And with Cleveland State and Akron dropping baseball, it is easy to see it is vulnerable. Hope baseball can stay for me personally.

2 flaws in your statement.
1st, Akron is bringing baseball back.
2nd, high school wrestling matches are outdrawing high school basketball games at many schools around this area, let alone outdrawing high school baseball games.  NE Ohio has some of the best high school wrestling in the nation, and Ohio and PA has become a recruiting hotbed. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
This would all change if they had 2 different divisions for Div 1 non revenue sports.  The economics of it is a no brainer.  Plus, it would give the kids a chance at something attainable. I don’t want to hear I want to beat the best BS.  If it’s good enough for HS sports it good enough for college.

Nope. Will never happen.