Author Topic: OSU grad QB to transfer  (Read 13690 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: OSU grad QB to transfer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
1AA you drive me crazy!
"He was not even the best QB at our level. He does not stay with the play long enough to make something "unscheduled" happen. This is never going to change and the trademark of a system QB."
That is exactly the OPPOSITE of a system QB.  The system QB runs the system, hence the name "system QB"
You describe Wentz and one of these free lance kind of guys and then call him a system guy.  IMO, he is neither.  He runs the pay and when the play breaks down he has that "slip and slide" ability like Brady, to move and make something happen.  Not a runner, but a play maker. 
Your use of marginal is far different than mine.  Webster says: close to the lower limit of qualification, acceptability, or function : barely exceeding the minimum requirements a semiliterate person of marginal ability
Whatever you can say, Rivers and Jaws they were not of "marginal ability!"  In the assessment of recruiters they may have had unrecognized ability , but it was NOT marginal ability.  Many recruiters are wrong!  Unrecognized talent is NOT the same as marginal talent!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Well, as to Wentz ...no thank you. To even put him on the same plan of existence as Brady is an insult to Brady. He never makes things happen. Foles did and this why they advanced and won the super-bowl. A system (to me) is one where anyone can step in and have a reasonable chance at success (both NDSU and YSU<under our former OC> run "systems". This is why we can bring in Mays and he performs well, despite a limited playbook & even less experience.

99% of all HS players (seniors) are marginal (at best) college DI players. The key is being able to read that "Crystal Ball" for when they are college Juniors and Seniors. This is why you want "like" kids From Massilon Washington instead of Perry, or Canton McKinley instead of Louisville, etc.. It is not to say that these other schools don't have solid players, but the top player at one chooses his college, the other hopes to play DI somewhere and get some scholarship money. Again Beede hoped Jaws would work-out & picked up a couple of receivers that could catch a 91MPH fast-ball style passer like Jaws. Bo and Wolf tried to beef up the DL to giver Rivers a chance to get that penetration. Bo even brought in another stud for the other side. Same applies to the NFL; which is why you want a player from Michigan ... over a player from N  Dakota State.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:48:28 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »
Wow.  I am sorry I posted this.   I was just trying to get a football conversation going. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
Well, as to Wentz ...no thank you. To even put him on the same plan of existence as Brady is an insult to Brady. He never makes things happen. Foles did and this why they advanced and won the super-bowl. A system (to me) is one where anyone can step in and have a reasonable chance at success (both NDSU and YSU<under our former OC> run "systems". This is why we can bring in Mays and he performs well, despite a limited playbook & even less experience.

99% of all HS players (seniors) are marginal (at best) college DI players. The key is being able to read that "Crystal Ball" for when they are college Juniors and Seniors. This is why you want "like" kids From Massilon Washington instead of Perry, or Canton McKinley instead of Louisville, etc.. It is not to say that these other schools don't have solid players, but the top player at one chooses his college, the other hopes to play DI somewhere and get some scholarship money. Again Beede hoped Jaws would work-out & picked up a couple of receivers that could catch a 91MPH fast-ball style passer like Jaws. Bo and Wolf tried to beef up the DL to giver Rivers a chance to get that penetration. Bo even brought in another stud for the other side. Same applies to the NFL; which is why you want a player from Michigan ... over a player from N  Dakota State.
"To even put him on the same plan of existence as Brady is an insult to Brady."
While Wentz "exists" in the same world as Brady, I would certainly agree Carson isn't remotely comparable to Brady, at least yet.
"99% of all HS players (seniors) are marginal (at best) college DI players."
Generally I would agree here too, but I think you would be better off using "average" rather than "marginal"   Approx. 1% of HS football players in Ohio play FBS football, and not all are "marginal"  some are, some are average and some are above average and outstanding. 
I don't and I don't think the NFL "prefers" players from Michigan over NDSU.  I'll bet you the success/failure rate of draft choices by draft position is at least as good for smaller schools as it is for the power 5 conference schools.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
Big recruit at the time for OSU, but obviously can't play at that level.  VanGorder was the same at ND.

Will find out in the next 2 years if he can play at that level.  Can't compare him to VanGorder, because VanGorder never took a snap at ND.  Burrow was JT's primary backup in 16, and completed 22 of 28 passes at mop up time in 6 games.  Last season he was 7 of 11 in 4 games, after Haskins moved ahead of him when he broke his hand.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Big recruit at the time for OSU, but obviously can't play at that level.  VanGorder was the same at ND.

Will find out in the next 2 years if he can play at that level.  Can't compare him to VanGorder, because VanGorder never took a snap at ND.  Burrow was JT's primary backup in 16, and completed 22 of 28 passes at mop up time in 6 games.  Last season he was 7 of 11 in 4 games, after Haskins moved ahead of him when he broke his hand.
I'm sorry, but I don't see any difference in Burrow's 26 "mop up" passes and VanGorder's dozens of snaps (not -0- as you note) at ND.  Neither mean a damn thing.  They are equal in assessing the player, as they contribute nothing.
We'll see with Monty at YSU and maybe Burrow at LSU? 

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

I'm sorry, but I don't see any difference in Burrow's 26 "mop up" passes and VanGorder's dozens of snaps (not -0- as you note) at ND.  Neither mean a damn thing.  They are equal in assessing the player, as they contribute nothing.
Dozens of snaps as a holder. MVG compiled no statistics as a QB at Notre Dame. Never threw a pass. Never ran the ball. His bio says he played in one game as a reserve QB in 2016. Maybe he handed off a few times or was sent in to take a knee at the end of a game.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
It's a wonder why many have left this board... lol.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Jeaux Burreaux