Author Topic: OSU grad QB to transfer  (Read 13699 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: OSU grad QB to transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »
He doesn't have to sit out a year since he graduated.  Wish he was coming but probably no fcs.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
He doesn't have to sit out a year since he graduated.  Wish he was coming but probably no fcs.
I thought we had already gotten the ND transfer under similar circumstances. I don't think we need another one and done.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
Very unlikely. He's going to a big program. His dad and brothers played at Nebraska which is rumored to be high on his list. Florida and Texas are also in the running as is Cincinnati because of Fickell
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:22:40 PM by ytownchief22 »

ytowngirl

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »
lol why would he come to YSU?

ytowngirl

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
I thought we had already gotten the ND transfer under similar circumstances. I don't think we need another one and done.

He has 2 years of eligibility left.  He's a redshirt junior.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
Big recruit at the time for OSU, but obviously can't play at that level.  VanGorder was the same at ND.  He held for kicks at ND for his career.  Some guys can play at 1A, some only 1AA.  Some of the hot-shot transfers from 1A can't even play at 1AA.  I think our "hit" list is about 50/50.  Guys like Avery Moss have been a BIG help, but guys like Luis Irizarry not much at all.  I doubt very much Burrow would come to YSU, but right now we have all our eggs in the basket of the ND place kick holder.  Kind of scary.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »
Big recruit at the time for OSU, but obviously can't play at that level.  VanGorder was the same at ND.  He held for kicks at ND for his career.  Some guys can play at 1A, some only 1AA.  Some of the hot-shot transfers from 1A can't even play at 1AA.  I think our "hit" list is about 50/50.  Guys like Avery Moss have been a BIG help, but guys like Luis Irizarry not much at all.  I doubt very much Burrow would come to YSU, but right now we have all our eggs in the basket of the ND place kick holder.  Kind of scary.

All reports out of Cbus are that Burrow was actually better in practice than Haskins but the injury set him back and Haskins never looked back. Burrow is going to another big time program. Zero chance he ends up here.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »

All reports out of Cbus are that Burrow was actually better in practice than Haskins but the injury set him back and Haskins never looked back. Burrow is going to another big time program. Zero chance he ends up here.
That's fine he doesn't end up at YSU.  The question was "lol why would he come to YSU?"  My point is, there can be many good reasons.  Why is Durkin at YSU and not in the ACC? Why was Louis Irizary at YSU and not OSU, why was Moss @ YSU the list goes on and on, and there are good reasons for many,  Moss, criminal charges, Alexander drugs.  Hosick injury/ability  Derek Rivers, late bloomer.  I'm just pointing our there are tones of reasons why good players end up at YSU.   When a guy like Carson Wentz goes straight from the MVFC to starting with the Eagles, there is no reason for a good player to avoid 1AA football.  Frankly, I think Burrow may be better off at Nebraska than YSU if he doesn't think he can win the job from VanGorder.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
Burrow was Mr football in Ohio in 2014.  Last year he was the #2 qb until he got hurt.  He looked better than Haskins coming out of the spring game. He's Better than anyone YSU has had since Cliff Stoudt.   I won't be surprised if he's on an NFL roster in the near future.

ytowngirl

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

That's fine he doesn't end up at YSU.  The question was "lol why would he come to YSU?"  My point is, there can be many good reasons.  Why is Durkin at YSU and not in the ACC? Why was Louis Irizary at YSU and not OSU, why was Moss @ YSU the list goes on and on, and there are good reasons for many,  Moss, criminal charges, Alexander drugs.  Hosick injury/ability  Derek Rivers, late bloomer.  I'm just pointing our there are tones of reasons why good players end up at YSU.   When a guy like Carson Wentz goes straight from the MVFC to starting with the Eagles, there is no reason for a good player to avoid 1AA football.  Frankly, I think Burrow may be better off at Nebraska than YSU if he doesn't think he can win the job from VanGorder.

He's a really good QB but doesn't fit into Urban's ideal QB needs.  Sorry but even thinking he would go to YSU is crazy.  He's going to another big program and probably will start immediately.  Vangorder wasn't even that good coming out of high school.  Not sure you can even compare the 2.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
Burrow was Mr football in Ohio in 2014.  Last year he was the #2 qb until he got hurt.  He looked better than Haskins coming out of the spring game. He's Better than anyone YSU has had since Cliff Stoudt.   I won't be surprised if he's on an NFL roster in the near future.

I agree.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »
I see your point but Wentz is not a good example. The team owners/coach made the decision to build a team around a guy with medium ability in Wentz (same thing in college) ...he is a system guy. If someone is willing to build a team of professionals around us, anyone of us (assuming some ability)can play in the NFL as well. We all saw what a clear back-up was able to do to that team, with some minor tweaking of the offense and better individual ability. Far out perform Wentz and win the super bowl.

NFL teams are always going to drawn to the college players with more proven talent. You always want the guys that played against the best. I am not so certain that I would like YSU ball with more NFL caliber players. Too much of the emphasis will fall on recruiting. High-risk or marginal young guys will have to go elsewhere. No Derek Rivers, or Ron Jaworski. Both marginal guys brought in by coaches with the idea that they may be something some day and willing to change offenses and defense to get it. NFL owners and fans are not going to be that patient.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:24:29 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 08:35:44 AM »
I see your point but Wentz is not a good example. The team owners/coach made the decision to build a team around a guy with medium ability in Wentz (same thing in college) ...he is a system guy. If someone is willing to build a team of professionals around us, anyone of us (assuming some ability)can play in the NFL as well. We all saw what a clear back-up was able to do to that team, with some minor tweaking of the offense and better individual ability. Far out perform Wentz and win the super bowl.

NFL teams are always going to drawn to the college players with more proven talent. You always want the guys that played against the best. I am not so certain that I would like YSU ball with more NFL caliber players. Too much of the emphasis will fall on recruiting. High-risk or marginal young guys will have to go elsewhere. No Derek Rivers, or Ron Jaworski. Both marginal guys brought in by coaches with the idea that they may be something some day and willing to change offenses and defense to get it. NFL owners and fans are not going to be that patient.
"If someone is willing to build a team of professionals around us, anyone of us (assuming some ability)can play in the NFL as well. "
Do you seriously believe that?  Actually I think you must be joking!  First of all, I think you seriously underrate Carson Wentz, second, you FAR underestimate the talent needed to play QB in the top level.
"We all saw what a clear back-up was able to do"  Just to be clear, Foles was a former #1 QB and Pro Bowl player, not a "clear back up"
"Far out perform Wentz and win the super bowl."  That clearly ISN'T true  Foles biggest play in the super bowl was a catch, not a pass.  If Brady CATCHES his pass and Foles doesn't, NE wins and Phil. loses.  Foles was adequate as the back up QB, but The SB run was all about the Philly D.
Your logic is faulty regarding pro talent players. You are not creating any more positions. If pro talent players come to YSU than they don't go to OSU.  That means move "lesser" talented player to OSU.  Nobody gets squeezed out, there are the same number of positions available.
"Derek Rivers, or Ron Jaworski. Both marginal guys"  That is blatantly unfair to two of our best ever.  They were definitely "late developers" but NOT "marginal guys."   Many great players develop late, especially QBs.  What do Frank Ryan, the last QB to win a championship in Cleveland, and Tom Brady have in common?  They couldn't win the starting job in college!  And don't forget two teams including the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas!  Being a late developer doesn't make you a marginal guy!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »

"If someone is willing to build a team of professionals around us, anyone of us (assuming some ability)can play in the NFL as well. "
Do you seriously believe that?  Actually I think you must be joking!  First of all, I think you seriously underrate Carson Wentz, second, you FAR underestimate the talent needed to play QB in the top level.
"We all saw what a clear back-up was able to do"  Just to be clear, Foles was a former #1 QB and Pro Bowl player, not a "clear back up"
"Far out perform Wentz and win the super bowl."  That clearly ISN'T true  Foles biggest play in the super bowl was a catch, not a pass.  If Brady CATCHES his pass and Foles doesn't, NE wins and Phil. loses.  Foles was adequate as the back up QB, but The SB run was all about the Philly D.
Your logic is faulty regarding pro talent players. You are not creating any more positions. If pro talent players come to YSU than they don't go to OSU.  That means move "lesser" talented player to OSU.  Nobody gets squeezed out, there are the same number of positions available.
"Derek Rivers, or Ron Jaworski. Both marginal guys"  That is blatantly unfair to two of our best ever.  They were definitely "late developers" but NOT "marginal guys."   Many great players develop late, especially QBs.  What do Frank Ryan, the last QB to win a championship in Cleveland, and Tom Brady have in common?  They couldn't win the starting job in college!  And don't forget two teams including the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas!  Being a late developer doesn't make you a marginal guy!

Foles was clearly the back-up to Wentz
I do not underestimate Wentz. Far too many people over-estimate him. He was not even the best QB at our level. He does not stay with the play long enough to make something "unscheduled" happen. This is never going to change and the trademark of a system QB. Never going to have that extra-step to get a more acurate release. Never sees anything else going on once the play is chosen.
At the time we took Jaws and Rivers, they were marginal players. Had everyone known that Jaws was going to be an NFL great QB, he would not have been marginal and never played Small College ball. Neither would Rivers. It took a couple of coaches to see soemthing in them, reach out and have faith. Then again, both Dike and Wolf reached out and took chances unsuccessfully many more times than they selected their future NFL greats.