Author Topic: Off to Gainesville, Penguins Draw Defending Champs Gators In NCAA Regionals  (Read 8137 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I agree.  We need 1-AA in all sports to give our athletes a competitive chance.  The Butler run a few years back and Loyola this year are very rare indeed.

Nah. If anything it's easier now a days for a smaller school to make a run in the NCAA tourney. We've seen more and more the last few years.
I don't see that?  Yes you have a Butler once in a while, but you always did (Texas Western) 
Given a 1-AA all sports program YSU men's and women's programs in BB, track, tennis, golf, all can make it to the tournament and in some cases actually compete for championships just like 1-AA football.  That just isn't the case now.

George Mason, VCU, Butler, Loyola, Davidson, Wichita, FGCU. Hell even Kent and Ohio have made deep runs in the past 10 years. Don't tell me YSU can't do that.
The point is George Mason has made a deep run, one in the last hundred years.  Butler 2 in a hundred years, etc. etc.  And yes, it is possible for YSU to do that in a hundred years also, but for year in, year out excitement nothing beats a season end tournament. 
Good grief we divide the Ohio high schools into 7 levels so everyone can compete for a championship.  You guys want on for 600 schools to play for 1 championship and Ohio has 7 for 600.  You are certainly at odds for OHSAA!  I wonder how many of you "on level for all" have ever seen the events you are voicing opinions for?  Anybody ever seen the women's tennis match (I have....once)  Track (not me) Golf (not me) I wonder what the coaches and players would say if they could?  I don't know, and wouldn't speculate, but just wondering....
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
In non revenue sports it makes sense. But if you feel fcs is watered do we then you are saying that fcs football is watered down.  Kinda stupid to send a tennis team made up maybe with 3 scholarships total for the whole team to share than playing an SEC school with what double or more in scholarships and coaches.  Plain stupid.
I agree with you.  This "I want to play the best" is bullsh**.  You want to play golf in a scratch league when you are a 18 handicap?  Hell no.  You want to play against teams at your level.  We think the tennis women want to get clobbered 6-1 to the SEC when they are very good in their own right, just put in a mismatch?  I doubt it.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!