Author Topic: Basketball schedule next year  (Read 26370 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball schedule next year
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
Calhoun is the right man leading the program. He's trying to change a culture that's never been relevant. Winning cures a lot, yes. But you need money games when you are mid major university like ours.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
Calhoun is the right man leading the program. He's trying to change a culture that's never been relevant. Winning cures a lot, yes. But you need money games when you are mid major university like ours.
I agree that Calhoun is the right guy at the right time. and yes you need money, but it isn't ordained that MBB has to fund improvements to the facilities is it?   Does the school of business need to raise their own money for the Williamson School?  Did MBB pay for the Schottenstein Center at OSU?  Hint...it wouldn't be called the Schottenstein Center if they had!
Apparently the university does not see this program as important and I would disagree with them.  Who has to earn their own money other than MMB and FB?   Frankly, MBB can get a stud or 2 and compete with a number of major programs, but we have never had that stud since 1903 so wishing seems kind of hollow to me.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
I agree that Calhoun is the right guy at the right time. and yes you need money, but it isn't ordained that MBB has to fund improvements to the facilities is it?   Does the school of business need to raise their own money for the Williamson School?  Did MBB pay for the Schottenstein Center at OSU?  Hint...it wouldn't be called the Schottenstein Center if they had!
Apparently the university does not see this program as important and I would disagree with them.  Who has to earn their own money other than MMB and FB?   Frankly, MBB can get a stud or 2 and compete with a number of major programs, but we have never had that stud since 1903 so wishing seems kind of hollow to me.

In mid major athletics, you have to play money games to raise funds for things. Unless you have boosters and donors that donate millions of dollars. Which we don't have. It's just how it is. I do know Calhoun wants to renovate Beeghly and replacing the bleachers is apart of that.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »

In mid major athletics, you have to play money games to raise funds for things. Unless you have boosters and donors that donate millions of dollars. Which we don't have. It's just how it is. I do know Calhoun wants to renovate Beeghly and replacing the bleachers is apart of that.
I hear you, but I don't see evidence of it.  I see the Covelli Sports Complex, the Don Constantini Multimedia Center the Williamson School of Business, the new Student Success Center. and others.  Those are the programs the administration sees as important and where the administration has "guided" the donations.  It is obvious that included on that list is NOT MBB and Beeghley Center.
We have balanced the budget, doubled the endowment and spent -0- developing Beeghley.  Facts are.......

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »

I hear you, but I don't see evidence of it.  I see the Covelli Sports Complex, the Don Constantini Multimedia Center the Williamson School of Business, the new Student Success Center. and others.  Those are the programs the administration sees as important and where the administration has "guided" the donations.  It is obvious that included on that list is NOT MBB and Beeghley Center.
We have balanced the budget, doubled the endowment and spent -0- developing Beeghley.  Facts are.......

Welp that would fall on Mr. Strollo's shoulders... Good luck.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
"Welp that would fall on Mr. Strollo's shoulders... Good luck."

SHAME ON YOU, CHIEF!!  PLEASE don't upset 1AA with a question about what Mr. Strollo  can carry on his shoulders!   Good grief, his kid is done, so who cares about MBB now?  Based on history, certainly not ..... I'm not going to say it, not me, I'm not getting 1AA upset!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
You mean Beeghly ...the home of our women's basketball team :)  Oh wait their is also volleyball and swimming. No jock straps needed (legally) in those sports either. The 4 main contributors to this thread are over 50-years of age. It's a shame but that is MBB here at YSU and I have no issue with the money being spent. How dare we build the new rec room, the new locker room, the new floor, a new weight room, a second training center, a film and meeting room, at least 8 new classrooms and additional offices. Why you should consider yourself lucky. The Swimming and diving team dropped the men's program and their side of the place has barely received more than a coat of paint since the early 80's. Even though(contrary to belief on this board) YSU has spent over $7mil on Beeghly in additions and renovations in the past 20-years.

If you want to complain about bleachers, go to a Notre Dame or Michigan football game. You know the stadiums where a fat guy like me cannot even fit one of his butt-cheeks between the lines LOL. Butler is arguably the top team in the conference since we joined, yet the first time I was there (1970's) I do not even recall there being a chair-back seat in the house. Now I have been there more recently and I saw seats in the lower level,  with actually rather nice chair-backs. I am just saying that I have no complaints about Beeghly, a multi-purpose facility. I mean it is only the money spent that gives you the right to even say that we do not need the space in front of the pull-out bleachers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:40:18 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
If you want to complain about bleachers, go to a Notre Dame or Michigan football game. You know the stadiums where a fat guy like me cannot even fit one of his butt-cheeks between the lines LOL.

1AA, is your argument against improving Beeghly "we aren't the worst"? 
Fact is we don't measure up with the 1st class facilities in our leagues, and I consider myself as being someone who deserves to be treated in a first class manor.  If you want my discretionary income, provide a 1st class experience and a competitive product.  For decades we have provided neither for BB and recently not for FB either.  (FB-one playoff appearance and virtually no improvements in a decade)  As soon as we begin to live on "how it used to be" we are sounding a death knell.  Step up or step out of the way!   Frankly it is time for your boy Strollo to step out of the way.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 06:21:56 PM »
If you want to complain about bleachers, go to a Notre Dame or Michigan football game. You know the stadiums where a fat guy like me cannot even fit one of his butt-cheeks between the lines LOL.

1AA, is your argument against improving Beeghly "we aren't the worst"? 
Fact is we don't measure up with the 1st class facilities in our leagues, and I consider myself as being someone who deserves to be treated in a first class manor.  If you want my discretionary income, provide a 1st class experience and a competitive product.  For decades we have provided neither for BB and recently not for FB either.  (FB-one playoff appearance and virtually no improvements in a decade)  As soon as we begin to live on "how it used to be" we are sounding a death knell.  Step up or step out of the way!   Frankly it is time for your boy Strollo to step out of the way.

No it is my way of saying we have to stop looking at only FB and MBB ...the later being a major drain on our resources that is not recouped. I am saying that funds are limited and most all funds given to Beeghly in the last decade have gone to MBB enhancements. That WBB (to a point), Volleyball, swimming, etc. have suffered much more and would get my approval for funds long before basketball. As I have stated before we will never be a basketball power, but we could really be something in women's basketball without going broke. Look at what we have been able to do in Track, with at first a nice increase in funds, which brought some assistants on board. Then the addition of WATTS has seen an explosion of dominance.

I understand that the average person only attends Football and Men's Basketball, but you cannot continue to think that is where all the $$$ needs to be. Just think about this. Title IX requires an equal number of women's scholarships, to men's. Additionally we have scholarship maximums on most Olympic sports that come no where's near the number of people needed to field a team ...thus requiring more women's teams in many cases...including ours. The Horizon League also dictates a minimum number of ladies sports. The NCAA also dictates that the number of sanctioned women's sports must be the same (or greater) as their male counterparts (exempting football, but not in total scholarships). In short we have to have the same number of sports (or more) for women as men. In addition we need to offer the same number of scholarships. Then we have to factor in sports that are "headcount" vs those that are not. I will not even go there as you have probably already stopped reading. It is not simply math that any idiot like Gene Smith can do. He has a staff just for accounting ...we have a single AD in a program that is almost as complicated as OSU's.

We have 65 NCAA-sanctioned scholarships on football that we have to match with a female athletic scholarship, but we are not allowed to simply go out and place them all in a single women's sport, because football is exempt and we have to fund 8 Horizon League women's sports. Do you realize that we only meet the minimum number of men's sports for the HL? That is 6. We tried to drop baseball and the HL said no because that would take away the League Auto-bid to the NCAA post-season. Have you ever been to the new softball or soccer field? There are a couple of first-class venues, but you probably have never gone to a game or match. Your attitude is simply to put all funds toward football and men's basketball because that is what "I" am interested in. Yet you somehow do not seem to realize that we need those 9 women's sports to keep those other two (FB & MBB) going. Yes it is wrong and many fought against it, but the NCAA was not going to have anything to do with and equal rights law-suit and they "caved". Until the time where some sense of sanity comes to college sports, realize that we need to put about $3 or $4 into women's scholarships for every dollar that we spend on men's scholarships. Now would you like to address perhaps the single largest donation in sports history that required it all to be spent of women's sports? LOL
One more for the road: the MAC has a men's soccer requirement & has 2 teams that have won the NCAA national title and/or played in the title game in recent history. Try going all over the world to get 1st-class players that speak enough English to stay in school and you know darn well they do not play for simply the cost of an education.  What women's sport do you wish to add and what men's sport do you wish to drop, assuming that we can. Try paying a coach $50k to play at that level. We will have 2 or 3 assistants that will be paid that much each. Still want to join?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:49:50 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 08:25:28 PM »
Wagner is tv tonight.  their gym looks like a high school gym.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
1AA, I can't "quote" you back, because of length!
Yes I have been to a softball game at what is a VERY competitive facility for college softball.  (our tailgate group has been very supportive of softball through the 50/50 drawing and we promised the players we would go to a game) However, that facility and the track help MAKE MY CASE.  The university steered a major donations to upgrade the facility, the same as I an suggesting they do with Beeghly.  Your argument reads to me as "nobody gives sh** about all these sports so the university needs to dump millions into them, at the expense of the 2 sports that people DO show interest in."  Does that make sense to you, because it doesn't to me. 
What makes sense to me is for the university to upgrade the facility to a competitive level, and USE THE DAMN THING!  Why don't we have a volleyball tournament? a men's BB tournament, a women's BB tournament?  Answer? Because we don't have a competitive facility and we don't have an aggressive sports administration to make anything happen.  It is all "woe is me" and "Nothing can be done" and "you don't understand my problems" and "NCAA rules" excuse after excuse. 
Quit making excuses for YSU and look at what NDSU has done in the worst possible city of Fargo ND.  Place is so bad they made a damn TV show about it!  Granted, they are head and shoulders above almost everyone in 1AA, but JMU isn't that far back.  You want to compete with them for national championships or move back to the Pioneer League and -0-  scholarships?  We have new BB facilities all over the MVFC.  MAKING GOOD HAPPEN IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but it is impossible for some.  We need to find who is holding us back and MOVE THEM OUT!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
Go, as smart as are ...you are just never going to let yourself get it. Football is a revenue-generating sport, MBB is not and never will be ...so it is not even worth my time. Think of our sports program as a puzzle. MBB is a solid brown piece that requires you to work skillfully and timely to find a place where it fits. Football is the big, pretty piece with a nice image on it and one can easily tell where it needs to go with just a glance. Even my 2-year old grandson can figure out where the football puzzle piece goes; but the rest of the puzzle requires a great deal of skill and time/patience to complete. Now if you are a brand new puzzle-builder (new DI sports program), it is very smart to build your puzzle around that big football piece ...but YSU is an established puzzle (sports program) with pieces (needs) that require time and patience.

Strollo is not in your way, he is the best facilitator this school has ever had. You have to know, as well as I, that if we updated/replaced Stambaugh, we would not have a football program in 5-10 years. During that time, Strollo would have to spend every cent just trying to keep up with our required sports needs that we would have a decade with absolutely zero dollars being spent on football and all of the enhancements, or the new facility, would be in shambles. No burned out light replacements, not turf upkeep or replacement, no repairs on seats, lockers, classrooms, etc. No media equipment or anything else. By then we would have low-paid, terrible coaches and a pathetic shell of a team with half-baked players, most of which would not be on scholarship.

In short, you want Strollo to build an adult puzzle (DI  collegiate football program) in the time it takes my grandson to build his 2-piece "Thomas the Tank Engine" puzzle.

One more thing, just because you do not understand the direction of our program, does not mean it is not going somewhere and that your AD does not know where it is going. Take a look at how many times the MAC conversation comes up on this board. Then take a look at the DI schools closest to us (all MAC), and their dominant sports. Then take a look at the direction of our facilities. Specifically, Stambaugh (a clearly 1st-class, highly expandable) Stadium, moving our baseball team from a Struthers B-league facility over to a 1st-rate stadium, completely enhanced Mill Creek Park Golf, a gorgeous new soccer stadium and an indoor Track & Field facility that is equally beautiful. Then take a look at Akron, Kent, UT and even a bit more distant and past closer MAC schools (Marshall) and their dominant sports. If you can see this, you will see that that this ship is sailing in a nice direction. One more thing, Strollo and Co (along with Tressel and Co) are working on campus enhancements that you and I will not be alive to see. So even though my grandson runs up and grabs the 5,000 piece Star Wars puzzle, you and I should know he cannot build it ... yet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:06:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
1AA you are the defeat-est here NOT ME!  For some reason completely lost on my, you have the perverse concept that nothing can ever be changed.  Because we are where we are, that is where we must forever remain. 
I would argue that at this point FB is not a "net" revenue-generating sport.  Certainly no other sport has a positive revenue stream, but it is NOT a damn business, it's SPORTS.  You do it for publicity.  OUR sports are generating far to much negative or at least -0- publicity.  When somebody goes to that HS gym that is Beeghly, does the fan walk away feeling like he has has a first rate experience or does he feel nostalgic for his HS? 

"he is the best facilitator this school has ever had"
Thanks, you are making my case for me.  We need a creator, a developer, a driver, an innovator, and you give me a facilitator!   Get him out of the way and watch what can happen!
Strollo give us a decade of uninterrupted LOSING football until JT showed up and brought in Pelini.  Stollo gave us losing season after losing season in MBB until JT showed up and here comes Calhoun.  What what can happen with leadership.  You can daydream whatever you want, but that's the facts.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
1AA stated:  Football is a revenue-generating sport, MBB is not and never will be ...so it is not even worth my time.

1AA, please explain to me once again why men's basketball "can never be a revenue-generating sport," because I easily see just the opposite.   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
It is not worth the discussion, as your idea is very easy to understand & simply NOT possible financially. My idea does require some knowledge but it is not that difficult to understand. Simply move at the pace your resources allow. BTW athletics, especially DI are absolutely a business ...as is running a university (it is just a non-profit). Tressel and Strollo are two of the biggest business men in the Valley. How could you even think otherwise?

BTW, show me an original Tressel concept that is in place, or even under construction ...there are none. Well actually there are two ...we are in the Horizon (a conference change is something that he pushed for back as our AD) and we were able to finish the upper floor on the Lincoln apartments. Not his original idea, but he did go out of his way to bring in absolutely new funds to finish it. There is an example of Tressel doing his job as and AD and as a university president. Contrary to what you think I highly respect him for it. However in the years that Ron Strollo has been our AD, the list of accomplishments is longer than my arm.

BTW, am not a defeatist, nor do I believe anything has ever been close to unchanged since Strollo took over. In fact QUITE the opposite, as I have been trying to show you. So many people think that YSU could simply drop all sports outside of football and MBB and go about our business. Again with the Tressel brought us Pelini crap. Do you think Bo gave a crap who the president was when he called looking for work? Do you think he would have not called if it was someone else in the president's office (except maybe Shawn Eichorst  :)  )?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:40:26 AM by IAA Fan »