Author Topic: Basketball schedule next year  (Read 26623 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball schedule next year
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
It is not worth the discussion, as your idea is very easy to understand & simply NOT possible financially. My idea does require some knowledge but it is not that difficult to understand. Simply move at the pace your resources allow. BTW athletics, especially DI are absolutely a business ...as is running a university (it is just a non-profit). Tressel and Strollo are two of the biggest business men in the Valley. How could you even think otherwise?

BTW, show me an original Tressel concept that is in place, or even under construction ...there are none. Well actually there are two ...we are in the Horizon (a conference change is something that he pushed for back as our AD) and we were able to finish the upper floor on the Lincoln apartments. Not his original idea, but he did go out of his way to bring in absolutely new funds to finish it. There is an example of Tressel doing his job as and AD and as a university president. Contrary to what you think I highly respect him for it. However in the years that Ron Strollo has been our AD, the list of accomplishments is longer than my arm.

BTW, am not a defeatist, nor do I believe anything has ever been close to unchanged since Strollo took over. In fact QUITE the opposite, as I have been trying to show you. So many people think that YSU could simply drop all sports outside of football and MBB and go about our business. Again with the Tressel brought us Pelini crap. Do you think Bo gave a crap who the president was when he called looking for work? Do you think he would have not called if it was someone else in the president's office (except maybe Shawn Eichorst  :)  )?

Bo is not coming here unless JT is president. Fact. Also, MBB can absolutely make money with the right man leading the program, which I believe we have now. A work in progress.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
1AA your concept of "revenue sport" and the separation of FB and MBB based on income is bizarre to me.
Last year we generated 460,000 in FB ticket sales and expenses of 3,800,000.  Please explain what "revenue sport" means to you, and I think we are looking at this from 2 different prospects. I'll bet you MBB is closer to generating revenue for the university than is FB. 
University sports is NOT a business, it is advertising and IMO your commitment to 2nd rate facilities is hurting the ad campaign.
Your concepts of "how things work" and "why they work that way" as as antiquated as Strollo.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
It is not worth the discussion, as your idea is very easy to understand & simply NOT possible financially. My idea does require some knowledge but it is not that difficult to understand. Simply move at the pace your resources allow. BTW athletics, especially DI are absolutely a business ...as is running a university (it is just a non-profit). Tressel and Strollo are two of the biggest business men in the Valley. How could you even think otherwise?

BTW, show me an original Tressel concept that is in place, or even under construction ...there are none. Well actually there are two ...we are in the Horizon (a conference change is something that he pushed for back as our AD) and we were able to finish the upper floor on the Lincoln apartments. Not his original idea, but he did go out of his way to bring in absolutely new funds to finish it. There is an example of Tressel doing his job as and AD and as a university president. Contrary to what you think I highly respect him for it. However in the years that Ron Strollo has been our AD, the list of accomplishments is longer than my arm.

BTW, am not a defeatist, nor do I believe anything has ever been close to unchanged since Strollo took over. In fact QUITE the opposite, as I have been trying to show you. So many people think that YSU could simply drop all sports outside of football and MBB and go about our business. Again with the Tressel brought us Pelini crap. Do you think Bo gave a crap who the president was when he called looking for work? Do you think he would have not called if it was someone else in the president's office (except maybe Shawn Eichorst  :)  )?

Bo is not coming here unless JT is president. Fact. Also, MBB can absolutely make money with the right man leading the program, which I believe we have now. A work in progress.
Chief, you are 100% correct on both points!  MBB is MILLIONS closer to -0- than football, with a much more limited expense structure.  Calhoun is the right guy, this is the right time.  Get Strollo's excuse machine out of the way, update Beeghly and let's see what happens! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
1AA stated:  Football is a revenue-generating sport, MBB is not and never will be ...so it is not even worth my time.

1AA, please explain to me once again why men's basketball "can never be a revenue-generating sport," because I easily see just the opposite.   

Nick: it is simple. MBB can never generate the revenue to do anything other than survive, unless we dropped Football. If we move to a better conference, we could never compete (as we do in the top MM football conference) without a massive influx of resources that could only be achieved in the short-term (a MBB only private donation). That being said, what conference is going to offer us? I mean we only were offered the (then) MCC because they introduced women's sport programs and YSU had just finished off a sensational run and we had plans to increase our women's sports presence. We will be stuck in a 1-team tourney conference that has no chance of garnishing any NCAA post-season revenue unless Northern Kentucky lives up to their expectations and/or UWM hires another cheater at head coach and winning coaches do not last that long these days. Northern Kentucky will be gone very quickly as well.

-UDM: No football (Top Men's sport: Lacrosse. Also have Fencing ...not HL sanctioned)
-UWGB: No football (Top Men's sport: Skiing. Not HL sanctioned)
-UIC: No football (top mens sport: Gymnastics. Not HL sanctioned)
-YSU: Football (Top Men's sport: Football. Not HL sanctioned)

-CSU: No football (Top Men's sport: Basketball They also have Fencing there real top sport. Also have Lacrosse that is not HL sanctioned)
-IUPUI: No football (Top Men's sport: basketball. They also have S&D ...both ARE HL sanctioned.)
-UWM: No football (Top Men's Sport: basketball. They also have Men's soccer ...both ARE HL sanctioned.)
-NKU: No football (Top Men's Sport: basketball. They also have Men's soccer ...both ARE HL sanctioned.)
-OU: No football (Top Men's Sport: basketball. They also have Men's soccer ...both ARE HL sanctioned.)
-WSU: No football (Top Men's Sport: basketball. They also have Men's soccer & S&D ...both ARE HL sanctioned.)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:40:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
1AA stated:  Football is a revenue-generating sport, MBB is not and never will be ...so it is not even worth my time.

1AA, please explain to me once again why men's basketball "can never be a revenue-generating sport," because I easily see just the opposite.   

Nick: it is simple. MBB can never generate the revenue to do anything other than survive, unless we dropped Football. If we move to a better conference, we could never compete (as we do in the top MM football conference) without a massive influx of resources that could only be achieved in the short-term (a MBB only private donation). That being said, what conference is going to offer us? I mean we only were offered the (then) MCC because they introduced women's sport programs and YSU had just finished off a sensational run and we had plans to increase our women's sports presence. We will be stuck in a 1-team tourney conference that has no chance of garnishing any NCAA post-season revenue unless Northern Kentucky lives up to their expectations and/or UWM hires another cheater at head coach and winning coaches do not last that long these days. Northern Kentucky will be gone very quickly as well.
1AA your thinking is so out of date and your so much a defeatist to actually make me feel bad for you.  You should look at our numbers and the numbers of other programs sometime.  Sports is NOT about making money or even breaking even, and MBB is closer to making money than any other sport.  FB is the money pit, you have some 50 year old concept about making money at FB, and that just isn't so. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »
Here are some numbers that shed some light on college athletics and money:

Here are some other findings from the NCAA report:

Median revenues generated by athletic departments increased by 3.2 percent from 2012 to 2013, while expenses went up 10.6 percent;
Of the 20 schools that made money, the median profit  was $8.4 million;
Of the 103 schools that lost money, the median deficit was $14.9 million;
The highest total revenues generated by an athletic department was $169.7 million;
The highest total expenses by an athletic department was $146.8 million.
According to the report, all athletic departments outside of the FBS operate in the red. In other words, only 20 of the 1,083 college sports programs in the nation are profitable.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

Median revenues generated by athletic departments increased by 3.2 percent from 2012 to 2013, while expenses went up 10.6 percent;
The highest total revenues generated by an athletic department was $169.7 million;
According to the report, all athletic departments outside of the FBS operate in the red. In other words, only 20 of the 1,083 college sports programs in the nation are profitable.

Although the exact numbers are interesting, the results are obvious and only support my opinion. The majority of FBS schools are the same. Okay so what are you saying about funds for MBB again? LOL. We do not have any $500k money games in MBB do we? There is no line waiting to purchase sponsorship signs in Beeghly and they are not getting $50k each. There are no companies renting loges at $50k per season in basketball. There is absolutely no justification to say that we can be anything other than a winning program (that is above .500) in a lower-level conference. I do believe that we can increase our money games and come closer to paying for ourselves in MBB, but we will never be anything close to what we are in football ...in terms of success unless we drop football and outside revenue (i.e. Penguin Club) can be applied to men's basketball. We will never support our facilities. FYI our football program more than pays for the upkeep and some enhancements of Stambaugh, along with some of our Olympic sports. That cannot be said about basketball outside of  a couple of years that we were part of a 2-deep conference in the men's tourney. Of course some of you would think it is okay to just go in debt to make it happen. Do you forget that a successful men's BB program would require a facility over twice the size of Beeghly? So why were you not out there complaining when they built the Chevy Center with no matching funds and it was too small? Heck if it was the planned 12-15k and YSu did become something in basketball, we could pay rent as we do in baseball.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:15:05 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
they have to first win and draw more than 250  fans before they do anything to beeghly

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »

Although the exact number are interesting, the results are obvious and only support my opinion. The majority of FBS schools are the same. Okay so what are you saying about funds for MBB again? LOL. We do not have any $500k money games in MBB do we? There is absolutely no justification to say that we can be anything other than a winning program (that is above .500) in a lower-level conference. I do believe that we can increase our money games and come closer to paying for ourselves in MBB, but we will never be anything close to what we are in football ...in terms of success unless we drop football and outside revenue (i.e. Penguin Club) can be applied to men's basketball. We will never support our facilities. FYI our football program more than pays for the upkeep and some enhancements of Stambaugh, That cannot be said about basketball outside of  a couple of years that we were part of a 2-deep conference in the men's tourney. Of course some of you would think it is okay to just go in debt to make it happen. Do you forget that a successful men's BB program would require a facility over twice the size of Beeghly? So why were you not out there complaining when they built the Chevy Center with no matching funds and it was too small?
WHAT?  "FB pays for the upkeep and some enhancements at Stambaugh"?  Seriously?  The salary amount for football is something like 3 times the ticket revenue and we only pay our HC a down-payment on his salary!  FB  LOSES OVER 3 MILLION a season.  It doesn't pay for sh**!  I swear, you must live in the 50's or something? 
"MBB, but we will never be anything close to what we are in football"  AGAIN you live in the 20th century.  What we "WERE" in football.  In this century we are a losing program with only 2 playoff appearance.  What is that to talk about?  How many conference titles this century?  Let me count . . . .  -0- ?  It was the 90's and JT when we had 7 playoff appearances and 4 championships, not this century!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
they have to first win and draw more than 250  fans before they do anything to beeghly
That's exactly my point....NOT!  IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME, isn't completely right, but you need to build it AND provide a competitive product for them to come.  This isn't an after the fact thing! You didn't get Tressel and you didn't win with Tressel without Stambaugh first, and at that time Stambaugh was about as good as it got in 1AA football.  My point has been through this whole thread.  Stambaugh is tired and Beeghly is tired and they both need significant upgrades to help provide for competitive programs.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
I-AA Fan still lives in the 90's in the good old boy days. Those days are over.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
The good ole boys are still here and stronger than ever. Don't kid yourself. Tressel and Strollo are your proof.

You say that we need to build the facilities and get a competitive products as if we can do that without $$$. yet you all believe that we do have limited funds. Am I missing something here?

BTW both Beeghly and Stambaugh are still nice facilities and neither one presently provides a product would justify a "significant upgrade". Stop arguing about the program's home and enjoy it. It is not "we are not the worst" ...especially in the case of Stambaugh ...we are FAR from the worst ...one of the best.

You guys are the ones living in the past, back when we had arguably the top football facility in the nation at our level. Well you are still in the top-25, probably in the top 20, yet you still complain. You do realize that there are over 100 DI colleges in FCS alone, with more at the FBS-level, that wish they had anything close to our stadium? If we would have enhanced Stambaugh at the expense of building WATTS would you be happier? Perhaps your AD knows what is best for the university.

I find it hard to believe that you are fans of a football team that was in the national championship just 2-years ago. For God's sake, just expect more from your coaches and players for now and be happy. Get out there and support your Guins!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:02:12 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
The good ole boys are still here and stronger than ever. Don't kid yourself. Tressel and Strollo are your proof.

You say that we need to build the facilities and get a competitive products as if we can do that without $$$. yet you all believe that we do have limited funds. Am I missing something here?

BTW both Beeghly and Stambaugh are still nice facilities and neither one presently provides a product would justify a "significant upgrade". Stop arguing about the program's home and enjoy it. It is not "we are not the worst" ...especially in the case of Stambaugh ...we are FAR from the worst ...one of the best.

You guys are the ones living in the past, back when we had arguably the top football facility in the nation at our level. Well you are still in the top-25, probably in the top 20, yet you still complain. You do realize that there are over 100 DI colleges in FCS alone, with more at the FBS-level, that wish they had anything close to our stadium? If we would have enhanced Stambaugh at the expense of building WATTS would you be happier? Perhaps your AD knows what is best for the university.

I find it hard to believe that you are fans of a football team that was in the national championship just 2-years ago. For God's sake, just expect more from your coaches and players for now and be happy. Get out there and support your Guins!
You always talk about the "good old boy network" like it is negative.  It can be, but more often than not is is a positive.  We got Bo to turn around a decade of losing football through the GOB network! 
Everybody has "limited funds" but congress.  But we have untapped resources that could go to sports facilities if the "powers that be" say fit.  You seem satisfied with dropping from #1 to #25 in football facilities and the corresponding century long losing record, and I am not.  I know we can do better!  Expect much, get much, expect little, get little.  You are the little guy here. IMO, you need to expect more, not make excuses for less.
I support the 'guins.  In fact my concern is over an administration that IMO is failing to support the 'guins!  Our kids work their butts off and our athletic administration makes excuses for deteriorating facilities.  That is my concern.  You're OK with their inactivity, I am not.  We're done here.  Have a great day.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
Again with the Tressel brought us Pelini crap. Do you think Bo gave a crap who the president was when he called looking for work? Do you think he would have not called if it was someone else in the president's office (except maybe Shawn Eichorst  :)  )?

Fan, next time you're at a Penguin Club function reach out to a few of Bo's longtime friends, and ask them if Bo would have taken this job if JT wasn't the Prez.  Their answer would be "no".

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
Beeghly is a dump. Hence why Calhoun is trying so hard to bring money into the program to update it.