Author Topic: Basketball schedule next year  (Read 26643 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball schedule next year
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
Does anyone know any of our non-conference schedule for next year in men's basketball?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball schedule next year
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
@ West Virginia

Western Michigan

I also think we are apart of a tournament

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
Vargo just tweeted Nov 9 we're also playing at Pitt. 85k for the game. Not a bad non conference schedule.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »
Vargo just tweeted Nov 9 we're also playing at Pitt. 85k for the game. Not a bad non conference schedule.
I just wish announcing our non-conference schedules didn't sound quite so much like prostitution!  I wonder if the administration feels as much like pimps as it sounds to me.  Selling other's bodies for money.  We don't give a sh** if the MBB or FB teams get beat by 30-40, as long as we get our money! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
go guins, personally you're statement is false.  I look forward to an extremely challenging basketball schedule that eventually will help us get better players and that in the future perhaps we will win some of the games.  In football I am interested in the so called "money game" more than any game of the year.  Can't wait to go to WVU in September.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
It's all about money when you're a school struggling financially. Going to Pitt and WVU will be nice because they are easy drives. And you get paid for playing there ? No brainer. Instead of playing in some tournament in Utah.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:33:38 AM »
go guins, personally you're statement is false.  I look forward to an extremely challenging basketball schedule that eventually will help us get better players and that in the future perhaps we will win some of the games.  In football I am interested in the so called "money game" more than any game of the year.  Can't wait to go to WVU in September.
My statement is a statement of my opinion, and therefore, it is true by definition!  Because you enjoy seeing YSU get the sh** kicked out of our players in miss matches more than I do, my opinion is NOT "false"?  Maybe you could say "IMO, I look at this differently", not YOUR STATEMENT IS FALSE."   

AS I remember, in the first 2 years of playing BIG (formally known as the Big 10) competition, we lost the best player on our team for the entire season early in the game.  Sacrificed for the financial gain of the administration.
Everybody would like to win one of those games, but the truth is, we are sacrificing  hard working young men for cash.  If you think the university is doing it because it will help recruiting, or on the off chance we actually win one, you are (IMO) pretty damn naive!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
My statement is a statement of my opinion, and therefore, it is true by definition!  Because you enjoy seeing YSU get the sh** kicked out of our players in miss matches more than I do, my opinion is NOT "false"?  Maybe you could say "IMO, I look at this differently", not YOUR STATEMENT IS FALSE."   

AS I remember, in the first 2 years of playing BIG (formally known as the Big 10) competition, we lost the best player on our team for the entire season early in the game.  Sacrificed for the financial gain of the administration.
Everybody would like to win one of those games, but the truth is, we are sacrificing  hard working young men for cash.  If you think the university is doing it because it will help recruiting, or on the off chance we actually win one, you are (IMO) pretty damn naive!

Lol, do you pay attention ? Every non power 5 school does it. We are not Ohio State who produces millions and millions in revenue. Ever see the 500 people in attendance at our games ? That doesn't make money. We have to do what we have to do. Btw, Pitt sucks in basketball, we may beat them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

Lol, do you pay attention ? Every non power 5 school does it. We are not Ohio State who produces millions and millions in revenue. Ever see the 500 people in attendance at our games ? That doesn't make money. We have to do what we have to do. Btw, Pitt sucks in basketball, we may beat them.
Yes, I pay some attention, and you are wrong, not EVERYBODY does:
NDSU 2018 Schedule
Cal Poly
North Alabama
Delaware (Homecoming)
South Dakota State (Dakota Marker)
Northern Iowa
Western Illinois
Illinois State
South Dakota
Youngstown State (Harvest Bowl)
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Besides, didn't your parents ever tell you "if everybody else jumps off a cliff, are you going to jump also?" If it's a bad idea but "everybody" is doing it, then we should too?
You don't think most prostitutes in Youngstown don't need the damn money?  You think they do it for the love of sex?  They do it because they NEED THE MONEY.  You know what that makes what they do?  PROSTITUTION!  Same as YSU.  If YSU is driven by revenue only that why track? why golf, why baseball/softball, why the HELL bowling?  If the investment doesn't make send and the fans don't support the program, then I'd vote for no scholarships and Pioneer Football League membership rather than university administration sponsored prostitution!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:33:53 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
Penguin Nick earlier stated:  go guins, personally you're statement is false.

go guins, you are correct in that my earlier statement should have read:  "I look at this differently"or "I disagree with you" as you have a right to an opinion (no matter how wrong it is  ;D)

As per NDS, no one in the Power 5 wants to play them anymore as they aren't worth the aggravation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:04:04 PM by Penguin Nick »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
YSU Basketball needs better scheduling, better/updated facilities, more money and better recruits.  The logical solution is playing power 5 conference opponents that pay and Coach Calhoun is clearly doing that.  The entire University needs $$$$ regardless of academics or athletics. 

FYI NDSU Football is playing Colorado, Oregon and Arizona in future schedules.  They actually post their extended schedule years out.  I for one think it creates excitement and a clear vision of their future.  The athletic department at YSU makes it a big secret and I personally think that is a mistake.  If you want the community and Alumni to rally around and support the programs get them involved.  Its called COMMUNICATION and PR.... 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
go guins, personally you're statement is false.

go guins, you are correct in that my earlier statement should have read:  "I look at this differently"or "I disagree with you" as you have a right to an opinion (no matter how wrong it is  ;D)

As per NDS, no one in the Power 5 wants to play them anymore as they aren't worth the aggravation.
Excuses excuses, excuses.  Always with the excuses.
NDSU is in FARGO ND, we have a bigger population base and no reason we need to make excuses. 
You are so busy trying to point out the "error of my ways" and making excuses for YSU you fail to look at the facts.
They are trading an away game for an extra home game.  (2018 7 home vs 4 away)
They get 307 for season tickets, (YSU 110) 
18000 tickets at 307 = 5,526.000
12000 tickets at 110 = 1,650,000 + 500,000 for WVU = 2,150,000 or 3,376,000 less than NDSU in revenue.  THAT is why they don't need to play $$$ games.  I do believe they are playing somebody in 2019 but in their case, probably for the sake of football not $$$ like the money grubbing administration of YSU sports. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
More money is always the solution; but if money was that easy to come by we would have better facilities, better coaches and better athletes? WRONG. If there was money to be had then other schools would have it as well and 13 of those (other DI schools in the state of Ohio) would have it before YSU. All that would happen is that the price of a ticket would go up. There is not enough money for schools to have more than one truly & consistently good major men's DI athletic sport. If program's still cannot get the funds to compete, then they need to consider lower level athletics (as YSU does in football). If Butler had as good of a football team as they do Men's basketball, then we would see their football team competing for a P5 conference crown (and corresponding FBS play-off berth) every year, instead of being "walked on" by teams with much less talent than YSU. Now you can be UConn, with stellar men's & women's basketball programs, but I would suspect that YSU would probably have at least a .500 overall record against them on the gridiron. If I recall we have recently beaten UConn in Women's tennis and baseball (at least).

This is why I have always said that we need to focus on Lady Pens basketball, where are dollars can go further. Our facilities are good, our scholarship availability is, at least, competitive. It may even bee too late. Right now there are monies available simply because of gender (Title IX). ESPN is dumping lots of $$$ into the women's Tourney and drawing attention already. Please do not respond with UNI or NDSU. UNI is the tops in combined MM football and men's basketball ...but they are far from the top DI football and men's basketball program. NDSU is the largest school in N. Dakota and the 2nd-largest school in a 4-state region. They are standing at the head of the line for government monies and local business support. Meanwhile (when I lived in Youngstown) my doctors and dentist proudly placed their OSU diplomas, attire and I guarantee you donation dollars ...for the Buckeyes ...our state's biggest and best team. It should also be noted that many federal educational dollars are given equally to each state. If it was not for women's athletics and targeted minority enrollment, YSU would be at the bottom of all schools in our 4-state region ... and if you take away new DI institutions receiving their initial monies and/or private schools, we probably are at the bottom. However, walking around YSU's campus, you would never know this. So be happy that you have Tressel and Strollo helping us with our impression, as this is what will help us in the recruiting and donation battles.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:56:38 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprQ4oOnu14

These arguments perhaps valid or not are secondary to Coach Calhoun getting a few recruiting classes in place.  Winning cures all.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprQ4oOnu14

These arguments perhaps valid or not are secondary to Coach Calhoun getting a few recruiting classes in place.  Winning cures all.
Winning will help, but it definitely doesn't "cures all."  Honestly looking back is a good precursor to future actions.  Anybody see success prior breeding reinvestment?  So if we fill the bleachers,are they going to use the revenue to buy seats and dump the damn bleachers, or are the more likely to say "we are filling the place with the bleachers, must be good enough!"  IMO, success may be more likely to breed complacency than spur reinvestment with our athletic department.