Author Topic: Pelini announces YSU staff promotions  (Read 2157 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Pelini announces YSU staff promotions
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »

By Brian Dzenis

bdzenis@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Bo Pelini looked inward to fill two vacancies on his Youngstown State coaching staff.

Brian Crist moves up from being the Penguins’ wide receivers coach to the teams offensive coordinator. Defensive backs coach Richard McNutt and defensive line coach Donald D’Alesio have been named co-defensive coordinators. They replace OC and quarterbacks coach Shane Montgomery and DC Carl Pelini — Bo’s older brother — who left the team to take the same positions at UNC Charlotte and Bowling Green, respectively.

The team starts spring practice on Sunday and the reasoning is twofold. Pelini felt more comfortable with an earlier start than last year because the team missed the playoffs in 2017, which also allows the Penguins more time get adjusted to the different staff structure.

“We’re going to be doing some new things. We’re going to be experimenting on the defensive side of the ball — I’m obviously very involved on the defensive side,” Pelini said. “It will give us a chance to lay a foundation for when spring ball is over and use meeting time for guys to see themselves and how they’ve gone through some things we’re experimenting.”

Joe Ganz goes from coaching tight ends to quarterbacks. Travis Tislaretz switched from offensive quality control to tight ends. Defensive quality control coach Sean Baker is now the team’s linebackers coach. Assistant secondary coach Tim Marlowe is now coaching the team’s wide receivers. Marlowe played receiver under Pelini when he was the head coach at Nebraska.

“I always kind of groomed him for that spot. I think it’s good for him and good for the room,” Pelini said. “It’s going to provide a whole other perspective from somebody that’s been on the defensive side of the ball for three years.”