Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 33427 times)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
1AA, when are you visiting spring practice?  I'm I correct in thinking we are not playing a spring game?
I look forward to your 'reporting' from practice.  I don't believe the JUCO OTs are here yet, so there won't be much there, but WR are practicing I believe and the Montgomery - Nathan battle should be in full swing.

My mother called me and said that a letter came to sign up for the spring tailgate pregame, so I called the Penguin Club and left a voicemail. I also called the ticket office and she said she has not been told anything about it. So I now wonder myself about the party and the spring game. I think we will have at least once major scrimmage though. I am going up tonight.

Don’t bother going tonight. They are off till Sunday.  From what I saw on Wednesday. The kid Farrer is the real deal and the kid from ND will win the QB battle

Thanks for the update Ice. I was not thinking the T&F championships will be Saturday. I hope we do not go with a 1-year guy at QB.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:29:18 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
No Spring game from what I hear.  QB from ND playing really well.  Still some concern about offensive linemen. Hoping to find a transfer. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
O-Line is going to be an issue. Not sure the transfers will help either.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
If it an issue to time for Offensive line coach to be let go.  So is it a recruiting issue or a coaching issue.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
If it an issue to time for Offensive line coach to be let go.  So is it a recruiting issue or a coaching issue.

Wolford was a good recruiter and was an O-Line coach for awhile so a lot of our good prospects came from him. When he left, the talent level dropped off.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »
VanGorder will be the starter. He didn't come here to sit. Farrar, Mallory, Braswell and St. Surin will probably be your WR's who see the most playing time. Hawkins and Durkin at TE. OL needs a ton of work from what I hear.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »
Well if we are going with a 1-year guy, at QB, then it is what it is. Not very happy about it, but I am not the coach. I was very upset with coach Carm, our line depth, last year. However, we have been stellar up front for quite a while so I am the kind of guy that would rather use him, to fix the problem, than lose him. However I will not be so kind if we continue to have issues in 2018. I will wait and see.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
No Spring game from what I hear.  QB from ND playing really well.  Still some concern about offensive linemen. Hoping to find a transfer.
Don't we have a couple JUCO guys that aren't here yet?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:44 AM »

Finamore and Yoboue aren't here.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »

Finamore and Yoboue aren't here.
Your concern about the OL mimics mine.  I think this team is a contender with either QB, IF the OL jells and plays effectively.  Tackles are a huge concern, and we don't know if either Finamore or Yoboue can play.  They are BIG enough, that's for sure, but that is far from the only question.
Jeff Rotherman leaving the program (nobody has mentioned why, injury etc?) is a blow no matter what.  We are going to be VERY thin at OT, regardless.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
From what I'm hearing and seeing in practice, VanGorder is the man at QB. Much better thrower of the football than Mays. Looks pretty good so far.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
From what I'm hearing and seeing in practice, VanGorder is the man at QB. Much better thrower of the football than Mays. Looks pretty good so far.
only problem with Montgomery is "one and done." 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »

I only saw a bit of practice, so I will go back if not this weekend, the following. I may take a vacation day and catch that scrimmage Friday. VanGorder seems to have the ability to throw against the grain, which does seem to fit our running plan. Distance seems about equal, but that extra power while running usually translates to accuracy, which would give the edge to VanGorder. Again. Neither of thes guys are runners. I am not a fan of a 1-year guy though. We have been much less complex on offense over the past 2-years, so I guess a new QB would not be too bad. There seems to be a lots of bodies up front on O, but that does not mean they can play. 3 of them are very, very tall, I need to write down numbers. Reall nice punters thsi year, nuch like we had 2-years ago with Bo's first year. Again it does not translate yet, but the ability is there.

I think they have a lot of plans for Hawkins (the OSU guy). He throws the ball further than the QB's I am told. Bryant out of GA looks good. He does have good size for his height; would match well with that Anderson from Mooney, very similar builds and they both reach inside to tackle (which I like when you are pass covering). I still like Heggedus as well.

Does anyone know much about Hall at CB? They had weird numbers on, but if I have him right, he looks awesome; yet only saw special teams play last year. Also what about Hewlett. Are we going to see him on O or D? Says he is 45, which was lining up at Xback when I was watching. Sure does not look 248lbs, but could be solid.

Other notes that I have are: 5-guys at safety, larger group at receiver and smaller group at TE.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Bryant runs like a strong side safety, and has size like a strong side safety, but is pretty small for LB in the MVFC.  That's my guess as to why he was used exclusively on special teams last year.  Kid has a real nose for the football and created a lot of fumbles in HS.  Hope they find a way to get him on the field some, we need playmakers on "both sides of the ball" (quote is my tribute to the worst announcer in all of sports, Campy Russell) 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Love the local coverage we have for the football program lol.....