Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 33065 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring Practice
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »
Starts today folks. A little early but excitement is in the air.

Kids who have joined us early and can participate:

QB: VanGorder

WR: Mallory and Farrar

TE: Hawkins

OL: Devon Robinson

LB: Griffin Hoak

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:48 PM »
Anyone know when the first scrimmage is?

ytowngirl

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
Did we lose anyone?

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
Did we lose anyone?

Only ones not on the spring roster that saw regular playing time last year are Isiah Scott and Jeff Rotheram.  Anyone know if these guys are done, or just not participating in spring drills?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
Did we lose anyone?

Only ones not on the spring roster that saw regular playing time last year are Isiah Scott and Jeff Rotheram.  Anyone know if these guys are done, or just not participating in spring drills?
I haven't a clue, but both came to YSU with reps much brighter than their performance so far, and both play positions that have been HIGHLY recruited this class?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
Did we lose anyone?

I haven't a clue, but both came to YSU with reps much brighter than their performance so far, and both play positions that have been HIGHLY recruited this class?

I asked myself the same question when I read the Vindy or Trib special article on the team couple of weeks ago. In the WR position, a list of receivers was mentioned. Scott was not listed.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
Did we lose anyone?

Nobody of importance.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
Finally an article up on Vindy about the football team with a new reporter I've never heard of before ? The QB situation will be interesting. I think VanGorder still wins it.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Finally an article up on Vindy about the football team with a new reporter I've never heard of before ? The QB situation will be interesting. I think VanGorder still wins it.
Vindy goes from negative coverage on most things YSU, to no coverage for spring football.  This is about time!

There is a BOB ETTINGER that writes for the Warren Tribune.  I am HUGE NCIS fan and so obviously I go with Gibb's rule #39 "There is no such thing as coincidence."   Doesn't seem likely there are 2 Bob Ettinger's writing, one for each paper?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
I noticed both of those recent Vindy staff changes Chief ...Brian DZENIS and Bob Ettinger. It is nice to see what looks like expanded coverage. I am heading up to watch some practices and will report in. I can see VanGorder taking the reigns if the goal is to get to Craycraft a year earlier. I know that both Pelini and Montgomery are (were) high on Craycraft. However, I still think Mays has earned it and he is a good QB. He has increased his mobility, but clearly both Craycraft and VanGorder seem a bit more mobile. However, I really feel that with 2 more healthy bodies up front, Mays can take this team as far as anyone else. He works equally well back or under center. Size is good. Knowledge has really improved over his 5 or 6 games last year.

That being said, new head on offense can make a big difference, but I do not see big changes on offense, what we have had works at just over 35ppg average. It looks like we have two coordinators on offense, with Crist at OC and coach Carm is run-game coordinator. I also see where Chris Parry (from McKinley) is a volunteer coach. I wonder what he has been doing over the last few years, did he play any college ball?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
It is nice to see what looks like expanded coverage.

However, I still think Mays has earned it and he is a good QB. He has increased his mobility, but clearly both Craycraft and VanGorder seem a bit more mobile. However, I really feel that with 2 more healthy bodies up front, Mays can take this team as far as anyone else. He works equally well back or under center. Size is good. Knowledge has really improved over his 5 or 6 games last year.

That being said, new head on offense can make a big difference, but I do not see big changes on offense, what we have had works at just over 35ppg average. It looks like we have two coordinators on offense, with Crist at OC and coach Carm is run-game coordinator. I also see where Chris Parry (from McKinley) is a volunteer coach. I wonder what he has been doing over the last few years, did he play any college ball?
Expanded coverage?  You've noticed expanded coverage?  IMO I've seen less than past years, not more.
1AA, I hate your "he's earned it."   What he has earned is the right to compete for the job.  Both Montgomery and Nate have talked about competing, so Mays is getting what he "earned," the opportunity to compete.
You talk about not much change on offense, but I have felt since Bo's arrival there was a difference in approach from Montgomery and Pelini.  Neither was right, neither was wrong, but they didn't match.  Bo wanted multi threat QB and Shane wanted a drop back guy.  I certainly HOPE we have a change so that both Crist and Pelini are synced up!  Frankly the guy that seems on the outside is Craycraft.  Both Monty and Nate are run/pass threats as is Cunningham next year (remember VanGorder is a "one and done" guy)  Joe is the classic drop back guy that Montgomery recruited last year.  He is the guy I see losing playing time based on style.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
I am talking about having more than one beat reporter ...that is expanded coverage.

We do not have a true running qb on the roster. These are pro-style guys For now, we need to wait and see what Crist brings to the table, but I do not see that much change coming on offense. Bo watched our QBs go down just like the rest of us ...he will not make the same mistake again. I hope we get more depth up front and add a more versatile back with some hands.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »
I am talking about having more than one beat reporter ...that is expanded coverage.

We do not have a true running qb on the roster. These are pro-style guys For now, we need to wait and see what Crist brings to the table, but I do not see that much change coming on offense. Bo watched our QBs go down just like the rest of us ...he will not make the same mistake again. I hope we get more depth up front and add a more versatile back with some hands.
No, coverage is coverage, staffing is staffing.  If they have expanded staffing, in theory, they could also provide expanded coverage.  They haven't done that, so I disagree, an apparent addition to staffing so far has resulted in no expanded coverage!

You are right, we don't have a "running" QB on the roster, but we do have 3 guys with a run/pass option capability, and that is what Bo wants and Monty didn't.  There are just as many QB's hurt in the pocket as there are running the ball. I don't think the threat of injury has anything to do with selection of which style of offense we are going to run.  Ricky Davis was injury prone, but the shoulder to Wells was just football.  I don't seen any change is Bo so he "won't make that mistake again."
My vote for newcomer of the year is Braxton Chapman.  I have loved: Cook, Ruiz, Webb, McCaster, Turner etc. but they are all 195# "scatbacks".  I am really looking forward to a 225# power back.  I don't think Farrell threw him a pass, so we have no idea about hands, but Turner can catch, so that's your 3rd down guy.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
Mays is more of a runner than a passer.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
Mays is more of a runner than a passer.
That being said, his passing numbers were pretty good, 66% completion percentage 4 to 1 TDs to INTs
And a QB rating higher than Wells.   He does the one thing most young QBs do.  Check the first option; open, throw; not open tuck and run.  If he can be convinced to look at the TE or TB for a quick second option, he could be quite adequate at QB.   With our TEs and Turner on 3rd down, he has some pretty good weapons to throw outlet passes to.  We don't have any film of Monty for the last 4 years, but his HS tape looks much the same as Mays.  Frankly they are enough alike I think we are going to have to check numbers to know who is on the field.