Author Topic: Ohio Valley  (Read 10569 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ohio Valley
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
It's the dead of winter.  NLI day is over.  Spring football seems a LONG way off and the season really IS a long way off. 
With the Ohio Valley Conference at 9 members and the MVFC going to 11 members, there is no time better to move from the MVFC to the OVC! 
All sports.  More natural rivalries, Less travel,  Lots of good reasons to move.  Only one I can think of to stay.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio Valley
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
Won't happen.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:20 PM »
Won't happen.
I didn't say it would happen, but rather, my interest is, do you think it should happen or not and why?

ytowngirl

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
It maybe closer but what teams would be rivalries?  Still don't get why it's still called Ohio Valley.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:11:12 PM »
It maybe closer but what teams would be rivalries?  Still don't get why it's still called Ohio Valley.
I see the rivalry aspect coming from playing the same schools in football, MBB, WBB, track, golf softball baseball, etc.  You are members of a conference.  We are one sport, part time guys in football for our affiliates now and it detracts from everything else.
Going forward, since we have added ND, so we have ND, NDSU, SD and SDSU which means 2 trips out to the Dakotas every football season.  For me, give me Jacksonville AL, and a couple trips to Tennessee over a couple trips the ND and SD!  There is a day coming closer every day when Akron and maybe even Kent are going to want to do something too.  They aren't going to do a multi conference thing like the MVFC and the Horizon like us.  We should help pave the way for them!   
Frankly I'd rather be in the Colonial, Ohio Valley or Patriot instead of what we are doing now.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »

The original conference had many teams along the Ohio River Valley...EKU, WKU, Morehead, Murray, YSU, etc..thus the Ohio Valley Conference.  The river...not the state.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Heck would they even want us?

All sports in one conference would be better then the setup we now have. I did not mind the Gateway, teams were kinda close. The western movement for new teams has killed my interest. Hard to get excited about schools on the other side of the river. The Horizon's shining star was MBB and that star has faded away.

First choice for me has always been a new league with all the OH/MI/IN schools now in the mac that should not be.

But since that will not be happening soon, I would be happy in either the Colonial or OVC.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »
The only conference that I care about, and that the vast majority of fans care about...and that YSU should be in NOW is the Mid-American Conference.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »
Ohio Valley is a step down. MAC will never happen either because of money and because Akron and Kent wont allow it.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »
The only conference that I care about, and that the vast majority of fans care about...and that YSU should be in NOW is the Mid-American Conference.
And losing our ass the way Akron is?  NO WAY JOSE!  Much more likely they want to go to 1AA than us moving to 1A

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:12 AM »
Akron doesn’t want  go backwards and the MAC doesn’t either.  Playing in the leagues we are in creates no interest for the fans that are left.  Maybe we need to go backwards?

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »
Akron doesn’t want  go backwards and the MAC doesn’t either.  Playing in the leagues we are in creates no interest for the fans that are left.  Maybe we need to go backwards?

Financially and competitively the MAC makes much more sense in FCS, put a current MAC team in the MVFC, I’ll bet they struggle to finish top 3 in the conference. I just don’t get why the MAC schools love being little sisters to the poor in FBS, when they could at least have a chance at national relevance in FCS...

Like does making the  “who cares bowl, sponsored by a company you’ve never heard of” bring in enough extra exposure to be worth it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:38:09 PM by Kandrase »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »

Financially and competitively the MAC makes much more sense in FCS, put a current MAC team in the MVFC, I’ll bet they struggle to finish top 3 in the conference. I just don’t get why the MAC schools love being little sisters to the poor in FBS, when they could at least have a chance at national relevance in FCS...

Like does making the  “who cares bowl, sponsored by a company you’ve never heard of” bring in enough extra exposure to be worth it.

A member team making a significant bowl game once a decade seems to be enough motivation to keep them all happy.

Surely you all remember the thrilling 2013 Orange Bowl where NIU got hammered 31-10 by FSU? Yeah I get chills just thinking about it.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
I would be all for the MAC, but not now that they are nothing but mid-week games on STO and ESPN2. I live for my games and tailgating all fall. I experiment with foods and drink, etc. I do not look forward to the idea of taking vacation days to see the games, assuming I can. So I am strongly opposed to any mac move at this point.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »

That's funny, hard for Akron to go backwards when they haven't gone forward yet.

Most people understand what the MAC is, pretenders. A couple of ok teams each year, every now and then a decent team. Most of their teams would not finish in the top 3 of our league.

I really believe that at some point many of the schools will swallow their pride and make a move. No doubt they will try and sell it as a lateral move, but that is fine.

The massive money pit will force their hand.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne