Author Topic: Tyler Hewlett  (Read 9984 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Tyler Hewlett
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
Per Vindy:

Tyler Hewlett appeared to be on the right track.

His standout performance on Austintown Fitch High School’s football team earned him a full scholarship to Youngstown State University.

He had designs on the starting running back position at YSU and a promise he could help coach at Fitch.

Then, in January 2017, he and others broke into an Austintown apartment and demanded “weed and money” at gunpoint.

Hewlett didn’t wield the gun, but his actions still earned him four years in prison Friday.

“Coach Tressel, now [YSU] President [James P.] Tressel, says, ‘Show me your friends, and I’ll show you your future,” said Judge Lou A. D’Apolito of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court. “In this case, that’s exactly what happened.”
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler Hewlett
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
Someone at work asked me about this kid.  He was the D1 co-defensive player of the year his senior year at Fitch, but I don't recall him ever being linked to YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
He wasn't. Just another kid who ruined their young life making dumb decisions with dumb people.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
Someone at work asked me about this kid.  He was the D1 co-defensive player of the year his senior year at Fitch, but I don't recall him ever being linked to YSU.
got out of Fitch in the spring of 2014 and was not on YSU roster that fall.  best guess is somewhere between Fitch and YSU, drugs apparently won out.  Too bad.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
got out of Fitch in the spring of 2014 and was not on YSU roster that fall.  best guess is somewhere between Fitch and YSU, drugs apparently won out.  Too bad.
Go, I am confused about the Vindy story. I also read it a few days ago. Vindy reported that he got the YSU scholarship before the theft in 2017.
You stated that he graduated from Fitch in 2014. What was he doing between 2014 and 2017?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »
He was class of 2015. He was never on scholarship here as far as I know. Vindy is wrong.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »
He was class of 2015. He was never on scholarship here as far as I know. Vindy is wrong.

NO?!?!?!?  Vindy wrong??  Say it ain't so!   
At least it's on Justin Wier and not our own Ed Puskas! 
I read the text reports from the Local TV stations and nobody references YSU other than the Vindy.
Boy, the damage you can do to the entire rest of your life for 46 bucks!  Incredible waste.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
May be Vindy is going to report that he has enrolled in YSU and just joined the football team. Someone also has just started a movement to remove him from the team and questioned how he was allowed to be admitted into YSU without a background check.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
May be Vindy is going to report that he has enrolled in YSU and just joined the football team. Someone also has just started a movement to remove him from the team and questioned how he was allowed to be admitted into YSU without a background check.
Are you reporting this is some kind of a  "Ma'lik Richmond version 2" story? You're not mixing the stories of 2 totally separate players, are you?
What the Vindy reported was, and I quote again, "His standout performance on Austintown Fitch High School’s football team earned him a full scholarship to Youngstown State University."  If the Vindicator wants to change their story to "he walked on", they can change it, but maybe we should let them speak for themselves? 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
Are you reporting this is some kind of a  "Ma'lik Richmond version 2" story? You're not mixing the stories of 2 totally separate players, are you?
What the Vindy reported was, and I quote again, "His standout performance on Austintown Fitch High School’s football team earned him a full scholarship to Youngstown State University."  If the Vindicator wants to change their story to "he walked on", they can change it, but maybe we should let them speak for themselves?

I was just kidding about the kind of stories put out by Vindy.... One was in the past.... one could be in the future.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »

I was just kidding about the kind of stories put out by Vindy.... One was in the past.... one could be in the future.
I know our Ed P will dispute the anti-YSU bias of the Vindy, but to me it is very clear and obvious.  If this kid DID NOT receive a scholarship, this reporting borders on criminal.  If he received a scholarship, then fine, if not they owe YSU a retraction.  We'll see what happens.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
I would think he would have certainly been offered. BTW, I think the Vindy bias has dissipated in the last couple of years. We had a young ambitious reporter that went out of his way to try and treat YSU as the DI college that is deserves. Now, with Ed in place, the general tone is much better as well. For years YSU controlled much & now I am very happy to see the changes.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
Testimony during the trial/sentencing was where the YSU scholarship stuff originated. YSU contacted the newspaper to deny that a scholarship was offered. My guess is that the previous coaching staff might have looked into the kid or contact him while in high school. YSU says he was not offered a scholarship and it doesn't appear he was ever a YSU student and obviously he was not part of the football program. Could have been the Wolford staff might have seen him as a walk-on type. That would be my guess. ... A correction/clarification was published on Sunday, the day after the original story ran.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
Testimony during the trial/sentencing was where the YSU scholarship stuff originated. YSU contacted the newspaper to deny that a scholarship was offered. My guess is that the previous coaching staff might have looked into the kid or contact him while in high school. YSU says he was not offered a scholarship and it doesn't appear he was ever a YSU student and obviously he was not part of the football program. Could have been the Wolford staff might have seen him as a walk-on type. That would be my guess. ... A correction/clarification was published on Sunday, the day after the original story ran.
Thanks for the update.  Clear, concise and honest reporting is an ever increasing rarity these days.  Glad you are with us and the Vindicator!
It is still interesting to me that of the 5 media outlets in the Valley. (3 TV and 2 newspapers) the Vindy's Mr. Weir was the only one reading YSU scolly into his report. 

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
From what I have heard, Tyler never even took the ACT!  He wasn't a student or player at YSU.