Author Topic: Found our QB  (Read 12887 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Found our QB
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
I have nothing against the kid but it is a pipe dream to think he will come in here and light up.  It pisses me off that we can’t get a top notch transfer. Mays needs to gain another 10 to 15 lbs to help him take the punishment next year.  If he couldn’t figure out an offense in 3 years.  What makes you think he will learn a new offense and be proficient.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
I have nothing against the kid but it is a pipe dream to think he will come in here and light up.  It pisses me off that we can’t get a top notch transfer. Mays needs to gain another 10 to 15 lbs to help him take the punishment next year.  If he couldn’t figure out an offense in 3 years.  What makes you think he will learn a new offense and be proficient.

Maybe not at QB... Yet. But the rest of the transfers we get pay huge dividends.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
It is hard to find a young transfer that has the potential to be top-notch, bigger schools "gobble them up". I really hate to put team in the hands of a rookie junior. He has (at most) one year to help us and it is usually not worth the junior year learning curve.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
Ron Potesta saying he heard rumors that Pelini is a possible candidate for Notre Dame DC job.  Anyone else hear that?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:42:58 PM by YSU FAN#34 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »
Ron Potesta saying he heard rumors that Pelini is a possible candidate for Notre Dame DC job.  Anyone else hear that?
I had trouble seeing Pelini going to D-1 as an assistant/associate coach. His next jump ought to be as HC in a D-1 school.
I don't see Mays taking our team into playoff. He has to be able to throw the ball to primary, secondary receivers and the safety valve. He tucked the ball in and ran when the primary receiver was covered.
The transfer from ND might be able to play this year and allow the freshman QB's to be red shirted this year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »
I understand what you are saying ET, but this transfer has zero experience. Mays did tuck a great deal, but I think, at least in part, that is what he was told to do. Granted it may have become a crutch. As to Pelini, that is no step up & if that is the case, Montgomery will not be leaving. If we lose all three coaches, we are in a world of hurt in the short term. I really had hopes that Bo would build a power coaching staff with local flavor, so our long-term prospects would be in-house.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
I understand what you are saying ET, but this transfer has zero experience. Mays did tuck a great deal, but I think, at least in part, that is what he was told to do. Granted it may have become a crutch. As to Pelini, that is no step up & if that is the case, Montgomery will not be leaving. If we lose all three coaches, we are in a world of hurt in the short term. I really had hopes that Bo would build a power coaching staff with local flavor, so our long-term prospects would be in-house.

Let us consider another scenario, his father comes as OC with the condition that the son will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting QB). In the following year, if Bo leaves, he would be considered as Bo's replacement.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

Let us consider another scenario, his father comes as OC with the condition that the son will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting QB). In the following year, if Bo leaves, he would be considered as Bo's replacement.

His father coaches Defense

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
Anything is possible.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Seriously, if this is the best we can get we are in trouble.  We supposely are in the toughest league and we get the scout team QB that was a walk on because of Daddy. He hasn’t thrown a pass in a live game in what 5 years.  His 2 offers in High School was Murray St. and  one of the Directional Kentucky’s.  I hope we are getting more than this.

Still better than any QB on this roster.

Let's just say that I do not agree at this point. Far too early to make a blanket statement like that. I think we have at least 2 QB's better than this on our current roster. In terms of potential ...too early. I simply do not see a QB as being as high of a need as most other positions. If you watched Mays at all, last season, it is clear that he can lead the Guins to a victory over any team in our conference. Now that we have a new OC coming in, all of that is on hold.
I agree with 1AA in that it FAR too early to christen this guy as the new QB.  Although 1AA and I usually watch separate games on Saturday, and so we don’t agree on Nate.  But you don’t sit on a bench and win a job.  You have to do it on the field.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!