Author Topic: Ysu mbb @ Detroit  (Read 4717 times)

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ysu mbb @ Detroit
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Lost by 2 on a very winnable game....same old story... Didn't play defense and couldn't make FT...

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ysu mbb @ Detroit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »
Needed to get that win in Detroit.   Wright States Monday on the road is going to be tough.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:16:24 AM »
A ridiculous loss against a team YSU was clearly better than.  Detroit was missing 3 players too.  Terrible FT shooting again...8-17.  That was clearly the difference as Detroit was 19-26.  Just no excuse to lose a game like that heading into an unbeaten Wright State.  I thought it was poorly officiated game too.  Can't even figure out what the foul was at the end of the game.  Detroit made some crazy shots.  I thought the tip in by Naz for Detroit was a killer too.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
This was the worst team we have played and we were simply terrible. How many turn-overs did we end up with?

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
I thought we would win this one being up 10 or so a few times and about 7 with under 5 minutes left in the game.  But our old problems came back to get us.  Lack of size inside gave Detroit many offensive rebounds where they crashed the boards on offense and it rarely led to use getting break away points due to their selling out on the offensive boards. Also seems like our guys  are not in good rebounding position and seem to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also without an inside presence on offense our outside guys are guarded closely.  We settle for too many 3's and give up on penetrating and getting the ball inside. The turnovers in this game were unbelievable and many were not really forced and the foul shooting was poor. And the press led to many easy baskets by Detroit and I don't think we got enough steals to cover those easy baskets.  And we tired ourselves out with the press.  Not playing enough players to press that much.  I think the press is harder on us energy wise compared to the other team.

We are playing 2 freshman most of the time and they are growing so that is a plus.  Our basketball IQ is lacking for sure and we need more inside players who can play and are big enough to stand up to our opponent's bigs.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
I thought we would win this one being up 10 or so a few times and about 7 with under 5 minutes left in the game.  But our old problems came back to get us.  Lack of size inside gave Detroit many offensive rebounds where they crashed the boards on offense and it rarely led to use getting break away points due to their selling out on the offensive boards. Also seems like our guys  are not in good rebounding position and seem to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also without an inside presence on offense our outside guys are guarded closely.  We settle for too many 3's and give up on penetrating and getting the ball inside. The turnovers in this game were unbelievable and many were not really forced and the foul shooting was poor. And the press led to many easy baskets by Detroit and I don't think we got enough steals to cover those easy baskets.  And we tired ourselves out with the press.  Not playing enough players to press that much.  I think the press is harder on us energy wise compared to the other team.

We are playing 2 freshman most of the time and they are growing so that is a plus.  Our basketball IQ is lacking for sure and we need more inside players who can play and are big enough to stand up to our opponent's bigs.

You hit the nail on the head. I really didn't think there was any way we could possibly lose that game until they took the lead then thought we were in trouble. Just a terrible loss

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »
Growing pains. Onto next year !