Author Topic: mens bb  (Read 8563 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
mens bb
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
guins win again

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: mens bb
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
1. First time 3-0 in conference play in 20 years.

2. We won the 50-50 ball tonight . Scrapped like crazy.

3. Bohannon  and Covington are playing like they're no longer freshmen.

4. Tyree was a bad man tonight.  Needs to check his emotions where it's positive for the team.

5. Cam and Hartfield played like true leaders.

6.Sandy Cohen for GB was a witch and his teammate Small was just as tough.  They should be decent in the Horizon.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:08:47 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:14 PM »
Truly amazing.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
Truly amazing.
Great energy... Making the 3 point shots and FTs went a long way. Good effort in offensive rebound in the 2nd half. We will see how they will match up against the top teams of the league.
Great win tonight.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
1. First time 3-0 in conference play in 20 years.

2. We won the 50-50 ball tonight . Scrapped like crazy.

3. Bohannon  and Covington are playing like they're no longer freshmen.

4. Tyree was a bad man tonight.  Needs to check his emotions where it's positive for the team.

5. Cam and Hartfield played like true leaders.

6.Sandy Cohen for GB was a witch and his teammate Small was just as tough.  They should be decent in the Horizon.

I agree with this 100%.  We've really out-hustled and wanted it more than both Milwaukee & Green Bay, and it really got to both & frustrated them.  I thought YSU played pretty well the first half just couldn't get some shots too fall, but says a lot really to come back from a 10-point 2nd half deficit.

Honestly everyone is playing pretty well right now.  Cam & Braun have really stepped up, and as you said Naz & Covington certainly don't look like freshman.  It was good to see Tyree put in 24 minutes.  He impresses the hell out of me, but his emotions make me nervous.  Haygood had that problem a lot last year, but seems much better this year.  I'm just afraid Tyree is either going to go off some night and/or cost a game.  Ferguson didn't score but gave us some solid minutes with a pair of steals & assists.  Just couldn't get a could of those shots to fall.

Going to be a real test now with 3 on the road against Oakland, Detroit & Wright State.  Hopefully we can get at least one.  Would be in pretty impressive to be at least 4-2 coming back home against UIC & IUPUI.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:20:28 PM »
Just goes to show that Calhoun was the correct choice.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
Nice to see Garrett Covington hitting outside shots.  Gives opposition another set of problems beside Cam &  Braun.   Tyree has had a few of those chase down blocks in the last few games.  Similar to a guy who plays an hour up the road ;D.

John Vargo = great writer.       http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/ysu-sports/2018/01/perfect-penguins%E2%80%88ysu-3-0-in-league/

Props to the vindy      http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/jan/07/ysu-men-win-to-remain-on-top-of-horizon/?newswatch
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:34:31 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »
Saw both games this week.  Really happy for the results; actually surprising since I didn't think we could compete based on our past this year.  But the two freshman, Bohannon  and Covington, have really improved their play and are no longer new freshman and Cam and Hartfield are really playing well.  Also Robinson is great inside and playing more minutes.  And the subs are playing well and I think we are wearing down the other team by the 2nd half by playing so aggressive on defense, and being able to substitute with not much of a let down in production.  I was hoping that Anibar could contribute in the post, but not yet.

Now the league sees what we are and we are playing top teams in Oakland and Wright State on the road in the coming schedule.  They will be ready.  It will be nice to see how we do Wednesday in Oakland.  They looked very strong Friday again Northern Kentucky; both those teams have bigs that worry me.  We will see.

It sure is nice to feel you have a chance in the league with MBB.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
Although pointing in the right direction, that is a huge stretch to make right now Chief. We picked up on defense, let our all-conference scorer do what he needs by finally feeding him the ball w/o regard for his shooting % (slump finally ended) and we slow the game down to improve rebounding. We have been doing this same thing for the past 10-years and always had at least one conference POY candidate in the process. I am going to wait on this one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:02:08 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
Although pointing in the right direction, that is a huge stretch to make right now Chief. We picked up on defense, let our all-conference scorer do what he needs by finally feeding him the ball w/o regard for his shooting % (slump finally ended) and we slow the game down to improve rebounding. We have been doing this same thing for the past 10-years and always had at least one conference POY candidate in the process. I am going to wait on this one.

Started 3-0 in horizon league play. Something Jerry never did. Hell, he never even started 2-0. He was an average/below average coach and Calhoun has this program headed in the right direction the way Slocum never could.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »
Long season to go.  Happy for coach and the program with the 3-0 start.  Like I heard a coach once say "one day you're sipping the wine and the next you're back stomping the grapes".  My expectations based on the non-league portion are slim.  Hopefully the guys will continue scrapping and be competitive but we'll watch and cheer one game at a time.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »

Started 3-0 in horizon league play. Something Jerry never did. Hell, he never even started 2-0. He was an average/below average coach and Calhoun has this program headed in the right direction the way Slocum never could.

LOL ...we also went 0-11 against DI competition before the last 2 games, something that I am not sure that coachS ever did. Don't have me pegged as a coach C "hater". I support my team and coaches, but I am not blind.

New style of basketball = 0-11 (against DI)
Traditional style of basketball = 2-0
 I am going to say that coach Calhoun sees what it takes to win in the HL and is putting this team in the best possible position to win; that is the truly a sign of a good coach. I am just saying that it is too soon to see how good of a coach that Calhoun is.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
I somewhat agree with 1AA.   You have to give Coach Calhoun credit,  but...   The league is awful, among the worst in Division 1.  Slocum had to play Butler, Valparaiso, and some other programs that are long gone.  You have to wonder how a program that just a few years ago was playing D-2(Northern Ky.) is the best team in the conference.

What I like about Calhoun's team is hard they play. 

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
The most impressive thing Ive seen so far are the adjustments Coach Calhoun and his staff have made from the Kent game to the Cleve St game. The team doesnt even resemble the one in November. Thats what good coaches do, and we have a good one. Cant wait to see this team next year and the years to come. The rebuild is fully underway!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
All the bad losses don't mean Calhoun was a bad pick so in all fairness, a good win doesn't wipe out all the bad either.  Best time to judge how this is going? After NEXT season!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!