Author Topic: YSU 80 CSU 77  (Read 5655 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU 80 CSU 77
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
Cam Morse with a 3 pointer with .6 to ice it.   1 and 0 in the Horizon.

Hartfield led with 22 points and Tyree Robinson with 14 on 7 of 8 shooting.

Congrats to coach Calhoun with his first D1 win.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU 80 CSU 77
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
lost a 16-point lead and then only took 6 shots in a 4:23 dry spell for CSU? Nice to see the free throws late though. Good old Cam clutch shot looked awesome as well.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:16:49 PM »
Was a much needed win...now hopefully we can at least split the 2-game home stand.  Liked the intensity to start off the game.  I knew CSU would go on some runs, but was hoping to at least go in at half up double digits.  Disappointing to let them back in the game at the end after building the lead back up to 9.  Just seemed like YSU lost their intensity, got sloppy with the ball, and took a couple bad shots.  I think it's part of learning how to win. 

Was happy to see YSU hit foul shots & 3 pointers again...and very happy for Cam.  A poor foul shooting effort today would have been a loss.  Even though I hated to see it close at the end, and I was fearing they were going to blow it, sometimes wins like these are important going down the road in league play.  Good to see Naz have strong back to back games.  He's looking more confident.  Thought Tyree & Haygood both played great inside, and both stayed out of foul trouble.         

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
Battle of 2 of the worst teams in D1. Glad we came out on top.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
Coach shortened the bench to 8 players.  Not sure where Akuchie was ?
Only pressed one time the whole game and resulted in a easy lay up for CSU.  Game plan was more like Slocum than Calhoun.

Naz was one rebound away from a double double.   He'll probably have some up and down games as all frosh do but he's getting a feel for the college game.

Benton looked really poised at the point.  Probably are best option with Cam at the two.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
Really happy for the players, coaches, and athletic administration who have sure had a ruff road with men's basketball.  All that loosing takes its toll on everyone.  Coach Calhoun is a young energetic coach who will be successful, but it is a learning curve at our level and our environment.  But I see success in our future with the coach learning and working hard.

Really happy for Cam who has had a rough go of it lately.  Playing with a bunch of new freshman and a new system takes its toll.  I think the team practiced so hard on the pressing defense that they lost basic basketball skills like shooting and defense.  The few times we tried the press we got burned with easy baskets.  With our current group that will not work.  Glad to see the coaches change the system to fit the players instead of staying with the system.  We have some good young talent that should grow as the season progresses and maybe we can be competitive and win a game or two.  I know practice today will be a lot more focused and fun for all involved.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
Only pressed one time the whole game and resulted in a easy lay up for CSU.  Game plan was more like Slocum than Calhoun.

Naz was one rebound away from a double double.   He'll probably have some up and down games as all frosh do but he's getting a feel for the college game.

Benton looked really poised at the point.  Probably are best option with Cam at the two.

Funny that you said that as I was thinking the exact same thing, but I knew if I mention Slocum it would simply bring in a bunch of useless attack posts. However, the focus on D and less press is spot on. If anyone uses the ESPN app, the game is still out there in the replay section. This team is simply not used to winning and dominating and could not handle CSU's momentum until the lead was about to fall. Thank you Cam.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »

Funny that you said that as I was thinking the exact same thing, but I knew if I mention Slocum it would simply bring in a bunch of useless attack posts. However, the focus on D and less press is spot on. If anyone uses the ESPN app, the game is still out there in the replay section. This team is simply not used to winning and dominating and could not handle CSU's momentum until the lead was about to fall. Thank you Cam.

Couldn't agree more on both sentiments.  I nearly brought it up in my recap.  Watching it live it felt more like a Slocum game plan from the past.   Cam played 38 mins.  I was glad to see the adjustment.  The team needed a win. 

Realistically only played 7 as Ferguson only played 2 mins, but did score.  I had mentioned after the Indiana game how he's really been struggling the last 4 games.  Akuchie dressed, but didn't play nor did Anabir
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:57:47 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
No doubt the bench got shorter.  I think both Akuchie and Anabir will play in our future and be contributors, but for this game I think the chemistry was right with those that played and we all know we needed a win badly.  Really all the players are new except Cam and Braun Hartfield.  Too many different combinations makes it difficult to play as a team.  We got some easy baskets inside with passes from Cam and others that showed good teamwork and anticipation.  Too many new players makes that difficult.  Benton sure looks like our point guard from now on out.  Not sure about Ferguson with his mask etc and how much he can contribute at the point.  This weekend we will need to play more people to have energy for all those minutes.