Author Topic: Monty is gone.  (Read 29649 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Monty is gone.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
I'll be disappointed if someone from within is promoted.

As will I for both coordinator jobs. I hate to say this, but this is where we find out how much personality & reputation becomes a factor. Bo is HC, not DC, Stoops is above full potential now.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »

Hopefully that doesn’t happen Chief.
I would love to see someone come in and take a fresh approach to both sides of the ball.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »

I would love to see someone come in and take a fresh approach to both sides of the ball.

No fresh approach needed on D. That hasn't been the problem under Bo. Definitely need a complete re tooling of the offense.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

No fresh approach needed on D. That hasn't been the problem under Bo. Definitely need a complete re tooling of the offense.

You’d be surprised by the shenanigans that are going on with the D..... it needs a new face believe me

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »
Do You guys realize if we go outside the program next year will be a learning Year especially on offense.  I hope we get an experienced play caller and somebody that understands our conference. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
I do not agree on defense Chief. Our defense is fundamentally challenged & lacks balance. We still have weak secondary ability and we creep up to try and stop the run. Our offenses have always been exceptionally well-balanced. I am hoping more of the same comes to the defense. Like we had early-on this past season. We always fall flat when someone challenges us up front. ie: championship game,  or last year's first half against Pitt. Wofford challenged us 2 years ago, but we were too talented to lose that one. We have never lacked fundamental talent (like our D) on offense ... outside of last year's line depth & I felt we could have had stronger backs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:44:18 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Do You guys realize if we go outside the program next year will be a learning Year especially on offense.  I hope we get an experienced play caller and somebody that understands our conference.

Will be somewhat of a learning curve even if we stay in house. If we go outside does Bo look for someone that fits our style or not. Same for the D, only time will tell.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I do not agree on defense Chief. Our defense is fundamentally challenged & lacks balance. We still have weak secondary ability and we creep up to try and stop the run. Our offenses have always been exceptionally well-balanced. I am hoping more of the same comes to the defense. Like we had early-on this past season. We always fall flat when someone challenges us up front. ie: championship game,  or last year's first half against Pitt. Wofford challenged us 2 years ago, but we were too talented to lose that one. We have never lacked fundamental talent (like our D) on offense ... outside of last year's line depth & I felt we could have had stronger backs.

No we just lacked competent play calling on offense. Defense led the nation in pass defense the last 2 years. Defense is not the issue.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 12:05:04 AM »

No we just lacked competent play calling on offense. Defense led the nation in pass defense the last 2 years. Defense is not the issue.

and you are going to deny our obvious deficiencies on D & just ignore record after record performance on offense? Are you going to deny the fact that you watched the top running back, TE's and best depth at QB that YSU has ever had occurred over the 6+ years? You say I have a thing for Monty? Must not be as strong as your relationship with Carl. Carl never shut a team down the entire time he was here. Granted I do think lack of talent and shortness of his tenure had much to do with it ...and he was more than responsible the vast improvement over our last 3.5 DC's but I watched coverage players game after game with no idea where the ball even was against average to just above average QB's. There is not a single person on this board that did not see it. Our d line never stopped anyone & we had no shut-down corners.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:13:16 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2017, 07:48:02 AM »

Agreed.  The offense sputters against good teams or play calling becomes inept.......USD ring any bells?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:02:19 AM by penguinpower »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
So Bo has been here several years and the undercurrent has been that he will leave when his Nebraska buyout is over.  You have to believe that this is hurting recruiting as it does when a coach is on the hot seat or close to retirement. Wouldnt it also hurt his ability to hire quality assistants?  Has Bo made a strong commitment to stay here for the long term other than the usual perfunctory statements?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
So Bo has been here several years and the undercurrent has been that he will leave when his Nebraska buyout is over.  You have to believe that this is hurting recruiting as it does when a coach is on the hot seat or close to retirement. Wouldnt it also hurt his ability to hire quality assistants?  Has Bo made a strong commitment to stay here for the long term other than the usual perfunctory statements?

This recruiting class is probably the best Bo has had since he's been here so I wouldn't say it's hurting yet.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
Recruiting or getting Coaches will not be a problem.  Bo is respected among his peers in the NFL and college and high school coaches. His resume speaks for itself. He has coached many a pro players and a College All-Americans.  He has grown as a coach here and he is quite happy. I think Nebraska gave us a gift and how did that work out for them.  The program is clean and W’s are building new lives and there is a waiting list for them.  If we would have kept our QB healthy we would have made the playoffs. 
A Penguin for life!!!