Author Topic: Naz Bohannon Posts Double-Double in Loss at Indiana  (Read 3044 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Naz Bohannon Posts Double-Double in Loss at Indiana
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:36 AM »
Bloomington, Ind. -- Freshman Naz Bohannon recorded the first double-double of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds, but the Youngstown State men's basketball team dropped a 79-51 decision to Indiana on Friday evening at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

The Penguins close out non-league play with a record of 2-11 while Indiana improves to 8-6 on the year.

Senior Jaylen Benton also reach double figures for the Penguins with 10 points.

Indiana's Juwan Morgan scored a game-high 16 points while Robert Johnson had 13 points and Josh Newkirk added 10 points.

The Penguins struggled from the field the entire game shooting just 33.9 percent, including eight percent (2-for-25) from 3-point range.

YSU limited the Hoosiers to a 36.7 field-goal percentage in the first half and trailed by just four, 22-18, with 2:40 remaining in the first half. Indiana outscored the Penguins, 7-2, to close out the half with a 29-20 advantage. IU scored seven of the first nine points of the second half to boost its lead to 14, 36-22, and extended it to 20, 44-24, with 15:43 to go.

Youngstown State opens Horizon League play against Cleveland State, Monday, Jan. 1. Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m.  in Cleveland, Ohio.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Naz Bohannon Posts Double-Double in Loss at Indiana
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
With a weak interior game YSU must shoot well from the outside to even stay close.  2 out of 25 from 3 point range will not help.  Coaching can not teach kids to shoot.  That is hard work by the player in the off season.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Naz Bohannon Posts Double-Double in Loss at Indiana
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:54:10 PM »
Just hard to believe how poorly YSU shot in this game.  After a horrible performance against a poor Idaho State team I have been encouraged with at least the effort the last 2 games against Utah State & Indiana that have at least made the games competitive until towards the end.

I really thought YSU outplayed Indiana for about the first 19 minutes of the first half.  If they could have even shot average they would have been leading at the half.  Just missed so many wide open shots.  They had some opportunities to jump out to a lead, but just couldn't convert and had some poor turnovers.  With even as poorly as YSU shot, it was a 4-point game with about a minute to go in the first half and once again couldn't close out the half & Indiana went on a 5-0 run to close it out and never looked back.  And even if you had said Indiana would only have 29 points at half, you'd think you'd be feeling pretty good.

YSU isn't going to win any games when Braun & Cam combine for 6 points.  I was hoping Cam broke out of his funk after the Utah State game, but it's just hard to believe the #s he put up...1 of 14 from the field- 0 for 8 from 3's.  Just so hard to imagine only making 2 out of 25 from 3's.  And once again only 50% from the line.

I was happy to see Naz have a strong game.  The announcers commented how they think he'll be a force in Horizon League play...YSU really needs him to step up like he did Friday. 

Has anyone else noticed how it seems like Braun really struggles going to the rim and can't finish?  It's still hard to believe he's shooting under 52% from the line. 

I thought Haygood looked pretty good & I wish we could get more minutes out of Tyree. 

Ferguson seems to be really struggling of late.  He's only combined for 7 points in the last 4 games.  In the 5 games after he came back from missing action with his broken nose, he scored at least 7 points in all 5 games.

Looking at stats, one other crazy thing I noticed is YSU has taken 102 more shots than their opponents, but have made 33 less! 

Hopefully they can put the non-conference record behind them, reset, and find a way to win 2 of the 3 this coming week before playing Oakland.  Monday's game against CSU is definitely winnable, could be an ugly game in the 50s or low 60s.  I'm just afraid it's going to be pretty demoralizing if they don't win at least one game this week.