Author Topic: Signing Day Updates  (Read 54422 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Signing Day Updates
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
Jaicorious Johnson is in.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
Natavious Payne is signed.
At least we got some Florida speed, but only 165#.  Listed at 5'10" but looks more like 5-8
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
looks that that will be about it.  could be Bo's best class ever.
My votes:
Biggest beast ever signed: Henry Yoboue  This kid has only played FB a couple years, and is a huge project, but huge is the key word!
Biggest 1st year D impact: Griffin Hoak  Position is "open" so should start.  6-1 225 is ideal MVFC LB size  Football family, has instincts, coaching, and non-stop motor.
Biggest offensive impact: Zach Farrar  Position as also "open" and JUCO experience will help a lot in transition.  6-4 WR is just what the Dr ordered and this kid was originally an Oklahoma recruit.  Footnote. Biggest newcomer on O, Braxton Chapman RFr. This kid is going to be a load, but second year at YSU. 
Biggest special teams impact:  Tempted to go with Grant Gonya, but deferred to bounce back year by Kennedy. so now on Dra Rushton as kick returner.
Biggest career impact: Jayden Cunningham.  QB has all the advantage over any other position.
Love to read what others think. 

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
My votes:
Biggest beast ever signed: Henry Yoboue  This kid has only played FB a couple years, and is a huge project, but huge is the key word!
Biggest 1st year D impact: Griffin Hoak  Position is "open" so should start.  6-1 225 is ideal MVFC LB size  Football family, has instincts, coaching, and non-stop motor.
Biggest offensive impact: Zach Farrar  Position as also "open" and JUCO experience will help a lot in transition.  6-4 WR is just what the Dr ordered and this kid was originally an Oklahoma recruit.  Footnote. Biggest newcomer on O, Braxton Chapman RFr. This kid is going to be a load, but second year at YSU. 
Biggest special teams impact:  Tempted to go with Grant Gonya, but deferred to bounce back year by Kennedy. so now on Dra Rushton as kick returner.
Biggest career impact: Jayden Cunningham.  QB has all the advantage over any other position.

So according to you Hoak is going to play MLB instead of AD. I don’t think so. He’s not going to play Will or Buck cuz he’s too slow

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
Chief,

When will YSU announce all these players that you have mentioned. I watched Bo's news conference today. Neither him nor the football website provided a listing of these guys.
Will YSU announce a complete listing soon?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Chief,

When will YSU announce all these players that you have mentioned. I watched Bo's news conference today. Neither him nor the football website provided a listing of these guys.

They are now all up on the website and announced on social media. Bo couldn't comment on all of them until their signed faxes came in and the presser was at 10am so they all weren't in yet.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
My thoughts on the class...

Don't expect any of the freshman to contribute right away this year. I expect all to redshirt. Hard to tell how the JUCO O-Lineman will pan out. Won't know anything until spring ball is complete and probably even not until fall camp starts. Some may redshirt.

Remember there is still good talent on this team returning. VanGorder if he can win the QB job and Farrar and Mallory at WR should be a nice duo and Hawkins at TE with Durkin will also be nice. Overall, I think Bo's best class depending on how some of the JUCO's pan out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:05:27 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
Chief,

They are now all up on the website and announced on social media. Bo couldn't comment on all of them until their signed faxes came in and the presser was at 10am so they all weren't in yet.

Thanks. I just read some new ones comparing to noon's posting.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
My votes:

So according to you Hoak is going to play MLB instead of AD. I don’t think so. He’s not going to play Will or Buck cuz he’s too slow
I don't see a speed problem with Houk.  Issue isn't timed 40 but how fast you start running.  Recognition is the biggest issue.  Coaching and instincts and motor.  Griffin has it.  LB starters AD CM and GH.  Who plays where will be up to new coach, but I'd bet on GH as the strong side guy.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
Looks like a nice pick-up and a great attitude.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
I watched this kid play a few times this year.  He is an athlete for sure and a leader.  His HS coach resigned a week before camp opened and he helped rally his team around a new last minute coach and to a state championship season.  I am surprised that he hadn't yet signed and TBH, I am surprised that he didn't really have any big offers.  Long term, this could be a great player for us.  Nice get!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
I watched this kid play a few times this year.  He is an athlete for sure and a leader.  His HS coach resigned a week before camp opened and he helped rally his team around a new last minute coach and to a state championship season.  I am surprised that he hadn't yet signed and TBH, I am surprised that he didn't really have any big offers.  Long term, this could be a great player for us.  Nice get!
Usually when a kid plays like Ricky, but doesn't get "big time" offers, he lacks size or speed or grades.  This kid, while listed at only 195 but he is 6'2" so he'll add some #'s at YSU so I don't see size as the issue, and speed looks fine.  I would be very unusual for the leader that you describe to have big grade issues.  Maybe we just got lucky!