Author Topic: FCS Playoffs  (Read 14234 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
FCS Playoffs
« on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
So, what are the chances of and "All-MVFC" final!
What are your predictions"

JMU vs. SDSU
Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Give me JMU 31-SDSU 17
Sam Houston 21- NDSU 24
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: FCS Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
All MVFC title

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
SDSU my first choice ...then I do not care as long as it is not NDSU.

NDSU is a better match with JMU and SDSU is better match with SHSU. I know that in the preseason the SDSU fans were saying that with this senior-heavy team this is their best chance; but they have had some key injuries forcing young guys in the mix, so I don't think they will have too much down time. I also think they win it all this year.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:03:45 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »
SDSU my first choice ...then I do not care as long as it is not NDSU.

NDSU is a better match with JMU and SDSU is better match with SHSU. I know that in the preseason the SDSU fans were saying that with this senior-heavy team this is their best chance; but they have had some key injuries forcing young guys in the mix, so I don't think they will have too much down time. I also think they win it all this year.
I understand, it's hard to ignore 33-21 but IF it's SDSU vs NDSU, it is hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. I understand not wanting NDSU to win again, but if there were money on the line, (and emotion out) I'd bet on NDSU winning it all, especially over SDSU.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:41:39 AM »
We are better than Sam Houston State.  It is a shame that we were left out.  The FCS playoff system is a joke.  How the he'll does a 40 scholarship team allowed into the playoffs?  They will never compete.  They need to pick the best teams period.  I'm losing interest in the FCS because of this bullsh**. They've taken 6-5 teams in multiple years.  WIU got in one year without a signature win, but somehow we are held to a higher standard.  Despite our flaws this year, we would have smashed multiple teams and made a deep run.  Every other conference is just so much worse than ours that if you finish in the top 5 in the MVFC conference you have a legitimate shot at the title.  There is only one team in the CAA that is a threat, but every other team is so much worse than JMU in the CAA conference.  Out of the 3 teams left tonight (NDSU advanced easily)  we beat one badly, and took the other to OT where we missed a FG.   Yet they let in teams like central Connecticut State or Bob Morris teams because they won their conference.  It is just an f'n joke
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:46:53 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
amen to that,  North Dakota does take it to another level in the playoffs. 
Do power rankings, strength of schedule  etc.  why should a team get a free pass because they are in a crap league.  it defeats the purpose of  the playoffs when half of the teams do not belong there.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
Ditto Power..I loved every minute of the game. The most prolific offense in the entire nation and the best quarterback in FCS Lol. I get a kick out of top analysts like Craig Haley who loves these types of schools and hates the MVFC and YSU with a passion. Aside from their opening 13 play drive for a field goal they did absolutely nothing. The funniest part is when the SHS coach thanked Chris Klieman in the post game conference for not running the score up and putting a hundred up on them. I give the Bison credit with all the injuries they have overcome. They had another RB and DB go down and both injuries looked serious. Time to cheer on the jackrabbit's so we can get an all conference final. Also congrats to the Purple Raiders for picking up another title

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
The Purple Raiders are a prime example of why every conference should be represented in the play-off. Who even cares about Mt Union (thus D3) any more? No one. A couple more NDSU titles and I-AA/FCA will be the same. You cannot arbitrarily pick teams. Divide the nation into East & West (which the NCAA has already done), take all conference champs & a couple of runner-ups to make 8 teams on each side. Have at it. East vs. West in every final. Each year we have an East champ, a west champ and a national champ.

If you are going to arbitrarily pick, then let's just go back to the way DI used to be and pick a #1. Then people can have their conversations during the off-season.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
The Purple Raiders are a prime example of why every conference should be represented in the play-off. Who even cares about Mt Union (thus D3) any more? No one. A couple more NDSU titles and I-AA/FCA will be the same. You cannot arbitrarily pick teams. Divide the nation into East & West (which the NCAA has already done), take all conference champs & a couple of runner-ups to make 8 teams on each side. Have at it. East vs. West in every final. Each year we have an East champ, a west champ and a national champ.

If you are going to arbitrarily pick, then let's just go back to the way DI used to be and pick a #1. Then people can have their conversations during the off-season.

No

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »

Are you missing a chromosome?  You think Bob Morris has a better chance over us in a 24 team playoff.  This is the reason why the FCS is a joke.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
Why not? Think about all the problems that a more structured format would solve. Most importantly:

1. It is the most fair.
2. The conferences would finally even out.

The way it is now, we just give all the rewards to the sames team each year ...BORING. If YSU finds itself unable to compete in the MVFC, then it is time to move to another. Thus giving a short-term boost to that conference. Soon, these weaker conferences will not be so weak. You ask for there to be "haves" and have nots" then you complain when your team plays "have-nots". Also we have more champs this way

1. Conference
2. Regional (N, S, E, W)
3. Finalist
4. National

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »

Are you missing a chromosome?  You think Bob Morris has a better chance over us in a 24 team playoff.  This is the reason why the FCS is a joke.

No I do not, so they lose the game. However a few years at full scholarship & they will be competitive. It is the NCAA that does not set minimum participation standards ...a partial or non-scholarship team should never be allowed to play in the same tournament as a full-scholarship. All teams in FCS/I-AA should have the same number of players, staff and scholarships. 24-teams is too much anyways.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »

I think it is about time for FCS to follow the method used by FBS in the selection of the playoff teams. FCS can pick 16 teams using the computer algorithms based on many factors: strength of schedules, team rcords, opponent's records and their strength of records, signature wins, ............ This is much better than awarding automatic bids for some lowly rank conference champions such as CCSU, Robert Morris or Dayton...

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
I thought the best teams are supposed to be in the playoffs. My problem as Penguin Power States is the field is tainted with conferences having different scholarship limits and dollar commitments to funding football. The fans and alumni are getting screwed in the upper tier levels of fcs with this.  I found it embarrassing after watching the first ten minutes of last nights game to see that this wasn’t even going to be a game.  I think the playoff committee did a disservice to FCS on how we pick the brackets. If we want this level to be taken seriously it needs to be set up like the BCS.  They have no problem leaving the weaker conferences out.  And why are we so secret on where everybody stands.  Do like BCS and the last month or whatever show the top 24. It’s BS
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »
I thought the best teams are supposed to be in the playoffs. My problem as Penguin Power States is the field is tainted with conferences having different scholarship limits and dollar commitments to funding football. The fans and alumni are getting screwed in the upper tier levels of fcs with this.  I found it embarrassing after watching the first ten minutes of last nights game to see that this wasn’t even going to be a game.  I think the playoff committee did a disservice to FCS on how we pick the brackets. If we want this level to be taken seriously it needs to be set up like the BCS.  They have no problem leaving the weaker conferences out.  And why are we so secret on where everybody stands.  Do like BCS and the last month or whatever show the top 24. It’s BS

Good point Go, but they only take 4-teams as this point; they will not get away with leaving any conference out in a sweet-16 field. Look how badly the Big-10 was screwed his year. Our level is supposed to be the example.