YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Football Schedule

<< < (2/8) > >>

ytownchief22:
Wait till the Strollo fan boys get on here to defend this. It's all about money and getting home games, blah blah. The athletic department is that desperate for money they are not willing to give up a home game every other season to play a real quality FCS opponent ? When's the last time we played a big OOC FCS opponent early in the season ?

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on December 08, 2017, 09:52:57 AM ---Wait till the Strollo fan boys get on here to defend this. It's all about money and getting home games, blah blah. The athletic department is that desperate for money they are not willing to give up a home game every other season to play a real quality FCS opponent ? When's the last time we played a big OOC FCS opponent early in the season ?

--- End quote ---
I get tired of the "Strollo is perfect and does everything himself" crowd.  I think Jim Tressel is a remarkable man and an extraordinarily effective leader, but he isn't perfect and he doesn't do everything himself. 
I do understand the principals of scheduling a couple cupcakes early, but a typical Valpo and Butler team has a way to climb to reach the cupcake status.   Pitt, WVU, etc. schedule us in the same role, but we at least give them a workout. (sometimes a bit more than they want!)  IMO we could do a little better with non-conference opponents.

YSU1:
why can't we schedule another team from the fcs.   like a team from the swac or meac.

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on December 08, 2017, 10:51:48 AM ---why can't we schedule another team from the fcs.   like a team from the swac or meac.

--- End quote ---
We could, but the downside is it would be a home and home and so instead of 2 non-conference home games every year, we would have only 1 assuming we continue to play a FBS team away every year.   
The posts saying YSU scheduling is all about the money it absolutely correct.  The MBB team has s schedule set to generate money and huge loses.  FB is set up to generate money and lopsided early wins.  Frankly I'd prefer to look at the way people like NDSU and JMU run their programs without FBS games every year.  But that would require out-of-the-box thinking, investment, promotion, and effort.  Things our Athletic department aren't exactly noted for.

goodnews:
NDSU is loaded with PAC 12 games for the foreseeable future... Clearly their program generates money and wins... The mind set is to be then best they can be... YSU will generate decent crowds because of the East side renovations and added loges....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version