Author Topic: Football Schedule  (Read 18339 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Schedule
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
LOL here it comes again. 2 things:

chief: you will be happy when you see one of the reasons why we schedule Butler, aside from this location is obvious. Valpo? I am sure that you can figure that one out by yourself.

Schools do not hold back schedules GO, like us, they are desperate. Again with this "scheduling is easy" crap. This is not the days prior to the "Tressel Rule".

If you people do not want to go to games, then don't. Save the seats for fans.

FYI. I drive past the Shoe every fall to attend YSU games. I would turn down an OSU v michigan ticket (and did) if the game falls on a day that YSU is even playing an away game at the same time. My daughter had 4-tickets during Tressel's championship season in 1992 & I said NO.
"Schools do not hold back schedules GO, like us, they are desperate. Again with this "scheduling is easy" crap."

1AA, that is CRAP and you know it.  PROOF?  NDSU has the YSU game for 2018 AND the YSU game for 2019 posted on their website! WE KNOW THOSE LEAGUE GAMES TOO!   There is NO desperation in the 1A scheduled games, as they are posted on the websites of our opponents. Good grief the Maryland game for 2024 is POSTED!  There is no desperation in the league games, so are you telling me we can't post a schedule because of we are desperate to get a Valpo and Butler?!?!  That is just B _ _ _ S _ _ _!  I think we don't post the schedule because the Athletic Department is to lazy to post it. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
2019 is a 12 game season.  Do we have an FBS game scheduled? I can't imagine what that schedule looks like?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
2019 is a 12 game season.  Do we have an FBS game scheduled? I can't imagine what that schedule looks like?
Not WVU, they play us in 2018, JMU in 2019
not Pitt, KY, Louisville, MSU, Iowa, OSU, PSU, Indiana, Illinois. Michigan because they are all posted.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
LOL here it comes again. 2 things:

chief: you will be happy when you see one of the reasons why we schedule Butler, aside from this location is obvious. Valpo? I am sure that you can figure that one out by yourself.

Schools do not hold back schedules GO, like us, they are desperate. Again with this "scheduling is easy" crap. This is not the days prior to the "Tressel Rule".

If you people do not want to go to games, then don't. Save the seats for fans.

FYI. I drive past the Shoe every fall to attend YSU games. I would turn down an OSU v michigan ticket (and did) if the game falls on a day that YSU is even playing an away game at the same time. My daughter had 4-tickets during Tressel's championship season in 1992 & I said NO.

That's great. Problem is nobody goes to the games. Especially when they are weenie games like these. The east side press box is gonna open up more loges and that means more money for people to sit and drink and eat and laugh and not pay attention to the game. Money runs it all. That's all this department cares about. Forget about the casual fan.

Again with the "wannabe" vs. reality. As pointed out by Guinpen, no one goes to the weannie games. I have news for all of you JMU is a weeneie game, literally ANY FCS team that we can schedule is a weanie game to the typical fan ...so why do you keep asking for losses by scheduling teams that can beat us? The only way to make a I-AA/FCS team less of a weannie game is to market these opposing teams to YSU fans and we cannot afford to properly market ourselves. I bet you that we would sell out if the Buckeyes were coming here, but I bet we would not if Maryland was coming here. Face reality, we cannot attract "name brands" to the Ice Castle. Neither can ANY OTHER TEAM at out level. Do you think Butler woulf have Bolted to the Big East if they could schedule any MBB team they wanted at home and remain a part of the Horizon? Heck no, why put out the $$$$. They left because they had just been in bacl-to-back national championship games and still could get a quality "Big Time" opponent at home. Football is no different ...even worse.

YSU needs to win games and get to the post-season. Then make certain that we have HOME GAMES in the post-season. This is our revenue ... and nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:29:31 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
1AA, you should consider the possibility that some teams just want to play in the most competitive situation possible. The Big East is FAR superior to the Horizon and maybe, just maybe, Butler wanted to face the best competition possible.  Wonder why YSU left the Ohio Valley for the MFVC? 

You know, I think your boy Strollo told you scheduling was hard, and you bought the company line hook line and sinker.  I started this thread by asking why our schedule came out so long after most of the games were scheduled.  Having no other answer than our Athletic Department is simply to lazy to publish it sooner, I guess that's the answer.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »

From what I heard it’s suppose to be FSU. All the BIG 10 teams turned us down

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Florida State?  Not showing on their website?   (maybe I should check YSU site?  kidding of course)
Frankly, it seems to me the Athletic Department ought to quit trying to take the easy way out and work at systemically building the program from inside.  You don't see NDSU relying on FBS money games for their program.  We would be well advised to look at things that JMU and others do in terms of club seating etc. to develop our base home income would be more sustainable.  Then the occasional $$$ money game would be a bonus.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
1AA, you should consider the possibility that some teams just want to play in the most competitive situation possible. The Big East is FAR superior to the Horizon and maybe, just maybe, Butler wanted to face the best competition possible.  Wonder why YSU left the Ohio Valley for the MFVC? 

You know, I think your boy Strollo told you scheduling was hard, and you bought the company line hook line and sinker.  I started this thread by asking why our schedule came out so long after most of the games were scheduled.  Having no other answer than our Athletic Department is simply to lazy to publish it sooner, I guess that's the answer.

that's bs. NO ONE wants to play a more competitive schedule unless there is reward for the risk.  Whatever the name for the Big East is now has more teams making the tourney: That is the only reason to leave. MBB is Butler's revenue. JT made the decision to jump from the OVC because YSU's revenue is football (unlike 90%+ of the schools in the nation). We had little to know hope of ever winning the OVC in football & the requirement was 7 games to make the post-season. At that time the OVC required all teams to play each other and adding EIU would mean we would be playing 9 (then 10) in-conference games each year. Notice we became an independent & the NCAA agreed that with the expansion of the tournament to 16-teams they would allow non-conference affiliated teams the ability to participate. Tressel wisely saw that our chances of making the NCAA were far higher as an independent, than as an OVC conference member. Factor in that he thought (as did most everyone at the time) that YSU was a year or 2 away from a MAC invite. In short JT took the best way out (call it the cowards way out if you would like) but he wanted to "schedule" 7-wins each year. That is just what he did. Then the NCAA put a stop to that a couple of years later with the "Tressel Rule" which requires 7 (or 8 based on year) DI wins.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »

Before or after Jimbo bounced ?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »

that's bs. NO ONE wants to play a more competitive schedule unless there is reward for the risk.  Whatever the name for the Big East is now has more teams making the tourney: That is the only reason to leave. MBB is Butler's revenue. JT made the decision to jump from the OVC because YSU's revenue is football (unlike 90%+ of the schools in the nation). We had little to know hope of ever winning the OVC in football & the requirement was 7 games to make the post-season. At that time the OVC required all teams to play each other and adding EIU would mean we would be playing 9 (then 10) in-conference games each year. Notice we became an independent & the NCAA agreed that with the expansion of the tournament to 16-teams they would allow non-conference affiliated teams the ability to participate. Tressel wisely saw that our chances of making the NCAA were far higher as an independent, than as an OVC conference member. Factor in that he thought (as did most everyone at the time) that YSU was a year or 2 away from a MAC invite. In short JT took the best way out (call it the cowards way out if you would like) but he wanted to "schedule" 7-wins each year. That is just what he did. Then the NCAA put a stop to that a couple of years later with the "Tressel Rule" which requires 7 (or 8 based on year) DI wins.
That is so much bullsh** it doesn't deserve comment.  MAC invite?  NOBODY wants to play a more competitive schedule?  Usually I enjoy conversing with you, but you are so delusional on this, you aren't worth my time.
Bye,  maybe later.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »

Before or after Jimbo bounced ?

Before Jimbo left

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
Florida State really a possibility in 2019?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
There's reasons why so many good people I know have left this board...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »

That is so much bullsh** it doesn't deserve comment.  MAC invite?  NOBODY wants to play a more competitive schedule?  Usually I enjoy conversing with you, but you are so delusional on this, you aren't worth my time.
Bye,  maybe later.

Enjoy. Reality hurts sometimes. How quickly you forget that we were given a MAC contract back in 1992 & its' cancellation clause was put into effect (that kept us out with the required 2 votes) once Marshall (the MAC's preferred choice that was holding out for an offer from CUSA) agreed to re-join the MAC on the LAST day before the agreement became final. Don't you remember how furious everyone was? My father was on the Athletic Committee at that time and I had to drive him down for a last minute meeting because the vote to accept/reject the contract was real close and they needed a "Show of hands".

Correct, I said NoOne wants to play a more competitive schedule. Let me say that I was somewhat off  there ... NoOne wants to play a more competitive non-conference schedule ...unless you happen to be an incredibly over-talented partial or non-scholarship program that is desperate for "banner wins" to get in to play-off. When you are in a conference with 5-teams going to the tourney, your schedule is "tough-enough". This is common sense stuff.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:17:19 PM by IAA Fan »