Author Topic: Brian Shrum Named Youngstown State Women’s Soccer Head Coach  (Read 2343 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Brian Shrum Named Youngstown State Women’s Soccer Head Coach
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »
Brian Shrum, a native of Western Pennsylvania, has been named Head Coach of the Youngstown State Women's Soccer program, Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo announced on Tuesday.

Shrum, who served as an assistant coach then associate head coach at Duquesne from 2012-17, becomes the seventh head coach in program history.

"Brian Shrum has all of the qualities we were looking for in our next women's soccer head coach," Strollo said. "Coach Shrum helped build Duquesne into a successful program, he's an energetic coach with strong regional recruiting ties and has a strong desire to be at Youngstown State."

Shrum spent the last six seasons at Duquesne and helped the Dukes to their first NCAA Tournament appearance, Atlantic-10 Championship and a school record 12 wins in 2015. Over the last three seasons, Shrum helped Duquesne to an overall record of 34-22-7 and an 18-10-2 mark in Atlantic-10 play.

"I'm very thankful to Athletics Director Ron Strollo, Associate Athletics Director Elaine Jacobs and Assistant Athletics Director Rebecca Fink for giving me this opportunity to become the next head coach at Youngstown State University," Shrum said. "YSU intrigued me because the program has all of the resources available to become a top tier program in the Horizon League.

"YSU has a plethora of undergraduate majors that can attract soccer student-athletes to the school, first-class soccer facilities and is an outstanding college community."

Shrum has developed 13 Atlantic-10 All-Conference players, including two-time all-conference selection and 2017 Atlantic-10 Midfielder of the Year Linnea Faccenda.

Prior to Duqusene, Shrum, who has been coaching in Western Pennsylvania since 1995, served as strength and conditioning coaching intern at California University of Pennsylvania. Simultaneously, he served as an assistant coach at St. Vincent College where he helped improve the Bearcats to a school-record tying 11-win season and a berth in the school's first ECAC South Championship tournament. He was instrumental in the development of St. Vincent's first First-Team All-American Elly Colvin.

Shrum graduated from California University of Pennsylvania in 2009 with a degree in sports management where he also earned a master's in exercise science with a concentration in sports enhancement and injury prevention. Shrum is currently pursuing a doctorate from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions with a concentration in Human and Sports Performance. His focal is speed development in soccer within the principles of contextual application. Shrum hopes to complete his degree in the summer of 2020.

He will begin his duties on Dec. 18.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Shrum Named Youngstown State Women’s Soccer Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
good luck Brian.  Personally I wouldn't coach a girls team for a million dollars.  Too much "stuff" in today's society to coach anything, but definitely not girls.  (girls as opposed to boys.  I'm old enough to call 19-20 year old's boys and girls!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!