Author Topic: Pitt QB Transfer  (Read 25472 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Pitt QB Transfer
« on: November 27, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette and online sources are hinting that Redshirt Freshman QB Thomas MacVittie might be considering a transfer.  He was a highly decorated recruit out of Cincinnati Moeller HS and was offered by LSU.  I suspect that he would not want to transfer to FBS and sit out another year.  He is 6'5" and a pro style QB... I know Bo likes running QB's but, our best success has been with Hunter.  It would be nice to find a way to see if he would have an interest.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt QB Transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
He played only one year of QB, his senior year in high school so he's raw. I'll take him or any other QB over the ones we have on this roster.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
He played only one year of QB, his senior year in high school so he's raw. I'll take him or any other QB over the ones we have on this roster.
"I'll take him or any other QB over the ones we have on this roster."  Ditto, HOWEVER, Jaylon Cunningham isn't yet on our roster. 
The freshman QB Pickett who beat Miami looks to have the job there locked up for another 3 years, so understandable why the kid wants out.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
If we have to rely on a true freshman at QB, it's gonna be another long year without playoffs.

Offline Ytowndomn8s

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Has anyone heard that Joe Burrow from OSU is considering transferring YSU?  I was told by someone close to his family that it is a real possibility.  Seems like a perfect fit for us.  He throws it quite well, but really runs it better than he throws it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
Has anyone heard that Joe Burrow from OSU is considering transferring YSU?  I was told by someone close to his family that it is a real possibility.  Seems like a perfect fit for us.  He throws it quite well, but really runs it better than he throws it.

I've heard rumors about him transferring.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
I think it all depends on whether or not he graduates. He is a smart kid and in school for an education over ball. I heard he is very close to graduating on time (by then of summer). So if I read the rules correctly... if he waits then he would have to transfer with 1 year of eligibility. If he does not graduate & is willing to take his degree from another school ...he can transfer with 2-years of eligibility.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
If we have to rely on a true freshman at QB, it's gonna be another long year without playoffs.
You think they said that when Pickett took over in Pitt? (right before he whipped up on #2 undefeated Miami?!?!)  This kid looking to get out of Pitt was highly recruited, but was redshirted a year, then was #4 on the depth chart this year.  That isn't a good sign because Pitt started the season with a guy that wasn't nearly as good as Hunter.  Wells was good enough to lead us to the playoffs as a freshman if we could play even a little defense under Wolford.  Mays, a redshirt freshman, a redshirt soph transfer from Pitt or a true freshman from University School.  I'll let the coaches decide in the fall, but I think I'd be OK with Cunningham.  Might as well have a Fr QB handing to a Fr RB.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
Let's be realistic. This is May's team to lose, he MORE than earned it. In our program this new kid is not going to be that mobile, he needs to respect his protection, as Mays did for much of the season then the line let him down and he became used to running ...payed the price.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:02 PM »
Mays is a backup. Benefited from injuries above him and can't stay healthy himself. The truth hurts sometimes.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
Let's be realistic. This is May's team to lose, he MORE than earned it. In our program this new kid is not going to be that mobile, he needs to respect his protection, as Mays did for much of the season then the line let him down and he became used to running ...payed the price.
How did he "earn it"?  Didn't we lose almost every game he started?  He "earned" the right to compete for playing time in 2018, and that is ALL ANYBODY underclassman EARNED this season.  That is the way it should ALWAYS BE.
What makes you say Cunningham isn't mobile?   He doesn't run first, but he is mobile enough.  In the same vein, the biggest mistake we all make in assessing Mays is to overrate his running ability.  He is a willing runner, he is a tough runner (not always to his or our benefit) but he ISN'T a great runner.  My guess is he is faster than Hunter and that is all, among skill position players.   

Mays didn't START running when the line let him down, he ran the ball the very first time he ever took a snap at YSU!  The kid looks at his primary receiver, if he is immediately open, he chucks it. If not he tucks and runs.   good high school strategy, but it simply won't get it done in the MVFC.  Kid is a nice backup at best.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
Mays is a backup. Benefited from injuries above him and can't stay healthy himself. The truth hurts sometimes.

Yes it does. You are the prime example of that. You can keep hating people like Mays, Wells, Slocum, Montgomery, Strollo, etc. but absolutely never accept the fact that they do their jobs ... and do them quite well. You cried for a mobile QB (12 over 6), see that they all get hurt, then say that they cannot stay healthy. You are smart enough to know that everyone makes mistakes and that we are not a big-time DI program; yet you cannot seem to accept that. You want to be a big-time program, yet continually express hatred for the man that is guiding YSU there and that is NOT Jim Tressel. You, as with so many people in Youngstown, somehow seem to think that Jim Tressel does everything in the athletic department as some sort of de facto AD that only deals with items/decisions that you like or feel have been successful.

At this point there is no question Mays is the starter. Absolutely he can be pushed to back-up status if the right individual comes along and I fully expect coach Montgomery to make that decision. Every QB in the nation is reduced to back-up at some point. A star QB at YSU is most-likely a back-up at any major DI program. Look how bad the NFL has become almost exclusively because they are tying to compete with college QB's that really should be back-ups.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:10:27 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Well Slocum couldn't do his job. Montgomery has yet to develop a QB and win a championship with his "complicated" offense that gets shut down by any decent defense in our league. Strollo has done what any competent AD can do in regards to facilities, although a lot of that does have to do with Tressel being here and getting the fundraising done. But keep slurping the kool-aid. To each his own.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
1AA are you related to Strollo?  Childhood friend?  You own him a lot of money?  What is it?
He has been in the athletic department for 22 years and the head for 17.  JT has been back just for 3
While it's true that in those 22 years, YSU has garnered 36 Horizon League championships, it is also true that the majority of those were won SINCE JIM TRESSEL returned!  Your boy Strollo will always be remembered as the guy that sent OUR National Championship Game tickets TO THE OPPONENT.  While I don't think he is a bum, he is absolutely no better than mediocre among 1AA schools.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
go guins you nailed it, average, mediocre, both work when it comes to Strollo.  He also has allowed Rick Love to lead a pathetic marketing department for more than a decade.   What creative do we do on game day?   Love is overpaid, underachiever, Strollo allows this to happen.

Had Pelini not fallen into his lap, Strollo was determined to hire the head coach at E Ky, who got fired the next year there!